Weekend Open Thread

Posted by on February 4th, 2011 at 11:55 pm

Whew! It was another busy week and it seemed to end with a flourish. I haven’t posted a weekend open thread for a while, but I feel like it’s time to do it again. You know the drill — share your bike adventures (or even non-bike adventures) in the comments below.

Sunday is the big Super Bowl game, so it’d be a perfect day to head out for a long ride on quieter than usual streets. Just watch the clock… because after the game the streets will fill up with drunk people (PPB is doing enhanced enforcement in preparation).

Feel free to share your weekend riding plans — or whatever else you feel like sharing — below. Enjoy your weekend!

Comments
  • G.Tyler February 5, 2011 at 9:08 am

Maybe ride up to the grocery store for some game fixings. Put my new pedals on my bike and have an easy weekend.

• dmc February 5, 2011 at 9:50 am

I just got back from riding 13mi to the store and back. Took some nice low traffic residential roads and had a relaxed ride with an average of 12mph.

Saw quite few groups of cyclists on St. Helens Ave-MacArthur Blvd-Blandford Dr.-Evergreen Blvd east/west route up here in Vancouver today.

great way to start the day.

• Ted February 5, 2011 at 11:55 am

Just got done with the UO Cycling Club ride down here in Eugene; did a mock crit race with my teammates and got second place with front and rear racks and full fenders on my commuter/rain bike. Always a good feeling. I feel a little bad upstaging the guy with the brand new Cervello.

Thanks for allowing me this moment of hubris.

• Joe in Wilsonville February 5, 2011 at 12:37 pm

haha ted. well played

• Jeffrey Bernards February 5, 2011 at 2:37 pm

11 cyclist are leaving Sunday for Death Valley and riding to San Diego. As one rider put “This is going to be epic”

• Jene-Paul February 6, 2011 at 2:33 am

Awe-some. I’m leaving Wednesday for San Diego and riding back here (Vantucky). Epic is a good start.

• Paul Hanrahan February 5, 2011 at 6:02 pm

I hope they finish their ride with an ‘epic’ burrito! :-)

• MarkDavisPDX February 5, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Gonna research more biking tips. Just started biking Oregon (live in Clackamas area), and all the street riding scares the heck out of me to be honest. Where I came from (California [Anaheim]), bikes were always to be on the sidewalk or maybe a bike lane if you had a death wish, but sidewalk was encouraged.

Here though, I get the idea that riding on sidewalks is illegal (?).

I have made one accomplishment though, taking my bike on the max :-), though I was worried about someone stealing my bike while I sat in front of it (maybe I should have stood next to it I’m guessing, will do that next time). Next on my list is to master getting my bike on a bus (the front carrier things), and finding best streets with slowest traffic to my most frequent destinations.

I’ve almost gave in and returned the bike twice now, but never get too far with it because I force myself to rethink my decision. Gonna stick with bikes until I’m 100% comfortable!

Also, need to learn how to use my bike gears. Exhausted myself in less than 100 feet going up a hill that first day. I guess running long distance in california does not equal biking in Oregon (the air is so fresh here, it literally does hurt!)

• CaptainKarma February 6, 2011 at 3:37 am

It goes without saying, so of course I’ll say it anyway – you’ve come to the right place. Don’t be paranoid about riding, maybe stick to the springwater trail a bit at first. I’d say if the guy i saw today, riding in traffic on a large unicycle can do it, so can you! Haha. Just wait until truly good weather comes around, you will be amazed at how many folks on bikes there will be. Keep at it, its totally do-able and well worth it!

• Tim Olsen February 5, 2011 at 10:42 pm

This weekend is the City of Lakes Loppert here in Uptown, Minneapolis. Not to be out-done by a few cross-country skiers, cyclists hold their own loppet–the Ice-Cycle Loppet. Stop by Bike Minneapolis and check out a few pics. Hope everyone has a fabulous and safe Super Bowl!

• PomPilot February 6, 2011 at 7:20 pm

On Saturday, started from the motel I was staying at (I was up from Grants Pass, visiting friends Friday night), picked up a snack at Voodoo Doughnut. Then had a leisurely ride along the Springwater corridor, to Sellwood Cycle Repair. From there, rode north, stopping for lunch at Potato Champion on Hawthorne, eventually arriving at Fort Vancouver National Historic site. Around 3:30pm, rode back to the motel, then met up with another friend for dinner. Cycle computer read 37.45 miles for the day. I had a smile on my face all through dinner.

• Cecil February 6, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Rode 200 km Saturday with at least 35 other randonneurs hoping to get their PBP qualifying series done early. What’s a little wind and rain when you’ve got Paris in your sights?

• John February 6, 2011 at 8:44 pm

I used to ride my bike to work every day, even in the winter, however lately I’ve just been driving.

• Matt February 6, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Unfortunately, just left Portland and moved to San Francisco for work…but still read bikeportland.org religiously. It was 75 and sunny down here, so i did a 35 mile ride through golden gate park and down to ocean beach, then up through the presidio, across the golden gate bridge and up through the marin headlands, before heading back across to bridge, down along chrissy field, following the bayfront to market street, where I took the wiggle back home. pretty good day. what super bowl?