TriMet adds student’s “Bike to Transit Map” to App Center

Posted by on January 31st, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Screen grab from Bike to Transit Map.
- See it here-

Our regional transit agency, TriMet, is a national leader at data-sharing and they embrace open-source tools. One such tool that they’ve recently added to their App Center is the nifty Portland Bike to Transit Map.

According to the map’s creator, Melelani Sax-Barnett, “It can display bike routes, transit stops, and transit routes at the same time, so you can find the best way to bike to your transit stop.”

Sax-Barnett created the map as part of a student project while taking a GIS course at Portland State University last summer. She used data gleaned from the Portland Civic Apps site. After winning $1,000 for “Most Original App” back in October, she told us that, “I’ve always wished that such a map existed (with bike routes and transit stops visible simultaneously), and I think I started putting it together before Google had its bike directions all set up.”

Check out the Portland Bike to Transit Map.

Comments
  • Allan January 31, 2011 at 3:04 pm

not bad, but data noticably missing outside of city limits

• Paul Hanrahan January 31, 2011 at 7:33 pm

I would like to see this same idea applied to the transit maps at the stations and on the trains. last summer, after riding out to the end of the Springwater trail, we picked up the max in Gresham, then transferred to the Green line South, but had a difficult time deciding where to get off and pick up the Springwater trail again. Trimet, are you listening?

• Colin M February 1, 2011 at 8:57 am

Paul,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Besides linking to third-party apps, TriMet is developing a multi-modal trip planner to help riders connect to trails. Check out the beta version at: http://maps5.trimet.org/otp/

Online maps allow us to provide detail than we don’t have space for on the system maps, especially trails – many of which follow MAX lines.

Thanks,

Colin Maher
      TriMet

• matt picio February 1, 2011 at 9:17 am

Looks awesome, and it’s great that it includes the ESRI map as a base layer and not just Google. It would be even more awesome if it also allowed OSM as a layer.

• Mele February 1, 2011 at 9:15 pm

OSM is now up!

• Becky February 1, 2011 at 12:36 pm

I’m running Explorer 8 and can’t see the map. I just get a big white box with the zoom and movement arrows. Suggestions? (I’m on a machine where I can’t change my browser.)

• Mele February 1, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Hi Becky,
      Unfortunately I haven’t figured out what the problem is exactly with IE. Hopefully as my programming skills develop I can get that sorted out. I will also definitely look into getting an OSM base up, and getting permission to update and extend the data with Metro’s RLIS database. I’m actually going to be involved in the project Colin mentioned above as an intern, too. Very exciting! & Thanks for the feedback all. -Melelani

• Paul Johnson February 3, 2011 at 7:53 pm

It’s weird to me to see OpenLayers used for Google…why not OpenCycleMap?

• Mele September 2, 2012 at 12:13 pm

The site is now located at http://pdxmele.github.com/PDX-bike-transit-map — please update your links. Thanks!