'Rat-Fiets': Ed Roth inspired bike art

Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on January 13th, 2011 at 4:52 pm

It's been a pretty crazy day (actually crazy last couple of days)... So I thought you'd enjoy taking a break and seeing some really fun bike art created by Lents neighborhood resident Tom Labonty. Check out his "Rat-Fiets" drawing below...

Drawing by Tom Labonty. See it on Flickr.

Tom LaBonty's custom cargo bikes-1
Artist and cargo bike
builder Tom Labonty.
(Photo © J. Maus)

You might remember Tom for his homemade cargo bikes that we featured back in August 2009. Tom has created quite a following for his bikes via his website TomsCargoBikes.com. Not only does he build bikes, he also encourages other to do it themselves.

I found his "Rat-Fiets" drawing thanks to friend and local cargo bike fan Travis Wittwer. It was inspired by the work of famous hot rod artist "Big Daddy" Ed Roth.

I'd like to see it on a t-shirt! Nice work Tom.

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • CaptainKarma January 13, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Awesome. I used to draw Rat Fink instead of paying attention in school.

• Refunk January 13, 2011 at 11:35 pm

Cool!

Big Daddy Roth sez the Rat-fiets needs more flame decals, Tom.

• q`Tzal January 14, 2011 at 6:53 am

Needs a noise maker that sounds like an old Harley with a bad muffler and loud revving FX.

• G. Tyler January 14, 2011 at 9:10 am

Great! I have been dreaming of making my old Schwinn into a Rat Fink bike. Love the Cargo bikes Tom makes, wish I had room for one myself!

• Skid January 14, 2011 at 11:29 am

Roth was known for his Kustom Kars, but he was the one of the first to put art on a t-shirt. He would Kustomize anything he could get his hands on. He was also the King of recylce/reuse/repurpose, every car he built had its fair share of junkyard parts.

• Opus the Poet January 15, 2011 at 1:57 pm

I could totally see this as an Atomic Zombie Flying Dutchman.