Signing off for 2010 (and our top ten posts of the year)

Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on December 30th, 2010 at 4:14 pm

One of my favorite memories of 2010 was leading the end of the Bike to Blazers ride in full Blazer regalia through the Rose Quarter back in April.
(Photo: Sarah Mirk/Portland Mercury )

Just wanted to wish everyone a Happy New Year and say thanks for making 2010 great.

smiles in the bike lane-1.jpg
Smile!
(Photo © J. Maus)

It was a year of big changes for BikePortland and for bicycling in this city in general. I'll share more thoughts on the big ideas and politics that shaped 2010 from a bike perspective next week; but right now I just want to say thanks.

I'm extremely proud to be a part of this community (online and off) and everyone — our advertisers, donors, readers, and contributors — who come together to make this site tick. 2010 was sort of a reflective and transitional year for me and the site. We've got some big changes coming next year.

Cheers to the New Year and enjoy the weekend! See you in 2011!

————

Don't forget to check our New Year's Ride Guide. If you'd like to reminisce a bit, below are the top ten stories we published (in terms of pageviews calculated by Google Analytics):

Feel free to share your fondest bike memories of 2010 in the comments below...

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • Amos Hunter December 30, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Happy New Year Jonathan and fellow readers and contributors! Thanks for a great year of coverage and discussion.

• Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) December 30, 2010 at 4:21 pm

You're welcome Amos. Thanks for doing such cool stuff so I have interesting things to cover. Your Pedalpalooza ride with the dice and getting lost in SW was awesome.

• David Haines December 30, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Thanks for your dedication and hard work, Jonathan. Our city is a better place for it!

• beth h December 30, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Thanks for your continued coverage of Everything Bikey in Portland and beyond. How you manage to be so completely everywhere and still have a life boggles the mind. Cheers --bh

• Jerry_W December 30, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Check out the bike rider behind you smoking, Portland bike rider culture, the photo kind of sums it up. (You look great Jonathon)

• Clarence December 30, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Bike lane video game one was massive. And when I got to ride it, I realized why. Congrats on a great 2010!

• Becky December 30, 2010 at 6:12 pm

Thanks for all your information and support this year, Jonathan!

• random_rider December 30, 2010 at 6:49 pm

I appreciate all the hard (and often thankless) work you put into this site. I admire your patience and ability to respond politely when people insult you and tell you how you should be running your own personal website that you choose to share with the community.

I don't always agree with your take on things or think you are on the right track, but you are definitely an important voice advocating for bicyclists.

Happy New Year!

• Steve B December 30, 2010 at 6:51 pm

The state of bicycling in Portland would not exist as it does today without Jonathan & BikePortland. It's thankless, grueling work which has inspired thousands of local bike actions and real infrastructure changes throughout the country. This is SERIOUS STUFF, my friends!

I don't think I've seen a bicycle powerpoint that doesn't use one of Jonathan's photos to illustrate the good, bad and ugly of getting around by bicycle.

Thanks, Jonathan and everyone who makes BikePortland awesome, including all ye fellow readers and contributors, for activating me to work everyday to make our city a better, safer place to get around without a car!

• 9watts December 30, 2010 at 6:55 pm

I'm with Steve B.
    I can't comment on how thankless it is, but I think that you do a great job, Mr. Maus.

It is interesting that the top ten stories aren't the most interesting (my opinion of course), but seem to tilt a bit toward the sensational end of the spectrum. Nothing wrong with that, just observing. I learn a tremendous amount from Jonathan's journalism, the insightful comments, and appreciate above all what you've done to shape what I think we'd all recognize as a bike community--folks who see themselves as part of a larger effort to establish biking as normal, as fun, as essential, as .....

• random_rider December 30, 2010 at 7:12 pm

I have to agree; stories like the Naked Bike Ride really are just the low hanging fruit.

• Alan December 30, 2010 at 8:44 pm

But clearly one which readers wish to stay abreast of. Good journalism exposes it all.

Thanks and Happy New Year, Jonathon.

• Diana December 30, 2010 at 7:13 pm

I echo beth h's comments and Thank You for the fabulous work that you and your Team do to make our 'hoods a whole lot safer, sustainable & fun!

• Katie December 30, 2010 at 8:47 pm

Thanks for your good work, Jonathan! This site has been important to us since before we moved to town, and continues to shape our lives. Happy new year!

• mello yello December 30, 2010 at 9:31 pm

sex sells(or sexy sells)

• Charlie Burr December 30, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Bike to Blazers was one of my favorite rides of 2010 too. Great work this year, Jonathan!

• Paul Tay December 31, 2010 at 1:51 am

Big Change for 2011: Johnathan J. Maus Implants Camera to Forehead.

• Mike December 31, 2010 at 5:26 am

Great site for info and fun. I troll through it regularly,Thanks.

• patrickz December 31, 2010 at 6:03 am

A smooth, busy and SAFE year to ALL.
    All the best, Jonathan and family. And I raise a cup (it's good ole' Java: it's 6 AM!!) to all pedal folks out there. We'll clink glasses to all of you and us later on.

• 3-speeder December 31, 2010 at 7:12 am

Thanks for another year of great coverage, Jonathan.

This site is invaluable for helping me spread the word to the sustainability group in my tiny Wisconsin town. For those trying to effect positive change, it is powerful to be able to communicate what like-minded people in other places are thinking and doing.

I appreciate the opportunity to pass along links to both articles you write as well as those appearing in other places. The latter prompts me to also thank Elly for her terrific Monday Roundups.

I look forward to seeing BikePortland grow and improve in 2011.

• adam December 31, 2010 at 8:00 am

another year of providing the best local coverage of biking that I have ever seen. thanks, Jonathan and team.

• Neil December 31, 2010 at 9:51 am

Happy New Year and as many have stated, thanks for your great work in 2010. Looking ahead to 2011!

• Jene-Paul December 31, 2010 at 9:55 am

Bike Portland is a door into real-world bicycling, through which folks can choose to gawk, all googly-eyed, or step, depending on how much they want to see things happen.

Thanks, Jonathan & Crew.
    ...stay warm out there!

• JH December 31, 2010 at 10:00 am

2011 will be the year of the mountain bike.

• 9watts December 31, 2010 at 10:04 am

I thought 2011 is the year of the rabbit.

• Kt December 31, 2010 at 10:22 am

Bike Portland has been my first stop in the morning for several years now. Thanks for all the hard work in chasing down the stories and keeping us informed as to what's going on out there!

Happy New Year Bike Portland, and everyone out there in two-wheeled land.

• wsbob December 31, 2010 at 11:25 am

Hey maus ...I appreciate all the hard work you and your staff put in here at bikeportland. Lots's of good food for thought at this site. That it helps people mull important issues over works towards a better community for everyone.

• Opus the Poet December 31, 2010 at 1:36 pm

BikePortland and DrunkCyclist were my 2 inspirations to start writing my own bike blog. So now everybody knows who to blame, Maus and Big Johnny.