Woman in critical condition after downhill bike crash near Timberline Lodge

Posted by on August 2nd, 2009 at 3:24 pm

Laura Sherrod’s bike.
(Photo: Oregon State Police)

22-year old Laura Sherrod remains in critical condition today after she crashed her bike on Timberline Road Saturday afternoon while riding down from Timberline Lodge and Ski Area on Mt. Hood.

According to the Oregon State Police (OSP), at about 3:15, Sherrod and a group of riders departed from the lower parking lot of the ski area. Sherrod was riding a 16″ Trek “Mountain Cub” bicycle when she collided with a fog marker. The police say she was found by a passing motorist on the highway shoulder and the incident was, “apparently not witnessed by any of the other bicyclists”.

Stretch of road where crash occurred.
(Photo: Oregon State Police)

Sherrod was transported by LifeFlight to Oregon Health Sciences University (OHSU) where, according to a friend of Sherrod’s, she was given “live saving surgery”.

The OSP says Sherrod is from Panama City, Florida, but is currently living in the Portland area.

Riders prep for a Hood Bomb in 2006.
(Photo: Aaron Tarfman)

Sherrod was on a “Hood Bomb” when the incident occurred. Hood Bomb is an unofficial ride where participants drive up to Timberline Lodge and then ride down the hill on mini-bikes.

Map of Timberline Road

A friend of Sherrod’s tells BikePortland that, “she got going way too fast at the start, lost control, and slid on her left side into a post.” Sherrod hit the fog pole with her chest, causing several broken ribs, a broken shoulder blade, a collapsed lung and a punctured lung. The friend also says that doctors at OHSU say she is stabilizing and has been taken off a breathing apparatus.

Groups of Portlanders have been doing the Hood Bomb for several years. Here’s a photoset on Flickr from a Hood Bomb last summer.

Here’s coverage of this crash in The Oregonian.

Get well soon Laura.

Comments
  • Matt Picio August 2, 2009 at 5:45 pm

Get well soon, indeed! Thank [insert higher power here] that she is alive! I hope she has a full and speedy recovery. Best wishes!

• Joe August 2, 2009 at 7:19 pm

sounds like a dumb idea to bomb that anyhow

• mechanic Mark August 2, 2009 at 7:36 pm

It’s actually a really nice run most times. Long and smooth with fairly low traffic. Best wishes to Laura for a full recovery.

• suburban August 2, 2009 at 8:17 pm

I ride 700c wheels so I don’t know the technique of controlling 16″ wheel bike with a diminutive frame down hills. Descending is as demanding on bike and rider as climbing, just in different ways. That crash sounds terrible and high speed. No other riders saw her go down? I’ll be looking for the follow up on this story. I hope she is back on a fitted frame soon. Health to you, Laura

• Afro Biker August 2, 2009 at 9:22 pm

This does not sound too smart.

• SkidMark August 2, 2009 at 9:40 pm

So she’d have your sympathy if she were riding a road bike?

• Zaphod August 2, 2009 at 9:54 pm

Name calling for someone who is injured wins the top podium spot for being inconsiderate, uncaring and uncool. Nice job, enjoy your fame.

• girl-shawn August 2, 2009 at 10:17 pm

to Joe #2 and Afro #5:
    Every sport carries with it inherent risks. Downhill mountain biking, ice climbing, downhill skateboarding, even snowboarding, all carry risks. These sports (along with hood bombing) also carry the potential for great fun and personal achievement.

I’m pretty sure that all of those who were out on mini bikes that day fully understood the risks inherent in their sport, and decided that the risks were worth it. They are adults, and capable of weighing the potential costs and benefits of their actions.

Call it what you want, but I admire those who push the envelope.

• wsbob August 2, 2009 at 11:22 pm

Laura, get well soon. The personal pain and trauma of a banged up and broken bod is no fun. Whether it was by divine presence, extraordinary luck, handling ability or some other combination of forces at play, it must be a relief to you that you haven’t suffered a more serious injury such as a TBI or paralysis.

Is there any chance the Hood Bomb will come to have some of the regard and support when accidents occur, that mountain climbing receives?

“I’m pretty sure that all of those who were out on mini bikes that day fully understood the risks inherent in their sport, and decided that the risks were worth it.” girl-shawn

For everyone’s benefit, would you be willing to explain why you’re pretty sure of this?

Look at the picture of the bike; for starters, knobby tires. Looks like the bike might have a back brake, but what about a front brake? Is a bike so equipped, the kind of bike an intelligent, responsible person uses on a downhill run that the Timberline Road presents? Had the person that crashed this bike actually demonstrated competence in handling such a bike on the type of descent where the crash occurred?

Did “…fully understood the risks inherent in their sport,…” mean that the participants of the Hood Bomb understood that they might have a crash that would require they be transported away from the area for medical care by LifeFlight, and that they should be prepared to pay for such a flight?

• SkidMark August 3, 2009 at 12:29 am

• girl-shawn August 3, 2009 at 12:46 am

I can’t give details, I wasn’t there. Sorry if I misled you.

Perhaps I should clarify.

I believe that hood bombers deserve the benefit of the doubt. If their reasoning and rationale is baffling to readers, those readers should ask questions or bomb a hill on a mini to see what all the fuss is about.

• Matt August 3, 2009 at 6:59 am

Bummer, sounds like a ‘bit of fun’ gone wrong.

I hope Laura is up and about as quickly as possible, accidents happen, sometimes you walk away, sometimes you don’t, that’s the risk you take.

• Anonymous August 3, 2009 at 7:23 am

The person involved is a Florida native currently living in Portland.

The highest point in Florida reaches a whopping 345 feet. It is unlikely that she ever bombed anything close to Timberline in Florida.

• beth h August 3, 2009 at 7:50 am

Bicycling carries risks. This is why, at “organized” events (like charity rides and races) you have to sign a waiver absolving the organizers of responsibility if you get hurt.

Since ZooBomb and its progeny of bomb-styled rides are generally anarchistic in nature — there is no official “leader” on whom to lay responsibility — I can predict that one of two possible outcomes may happen:

a. Zoobomb will be required to organize more clearly and begin to require signed waivers of its participants — and possibly carry liability insurance — in order to continue offring its rides to the public;

b. Zoobomb may have to become a “closed” club with restricted membership and stop offering public rides.

When I founded Slug Velo in 2003, I got away with exactly ONE ride where I merely suggested helmet use and did not offer a signed waiver. After that ride, FIVE lawyers who had gone on the ride urged me to require helmets and waivers to protect myself. I did so, adding a layer of administration I hadn’t counted on, or wanted.

Three years later, when a child was riding erratically on a Slug ride and his parent would/could not control him, several riders (mostly lawyers again) urged me to consider buying liability insurance; if the child had caused an accident I could have been sued, even WITH the home-made waivers. The parent of the child also emailed me and told me that I had “fussed and worried” too much about her boy, and that this had lessened their enjoyment of the ride.

This ride and its aftermath was one of the final straws for me. I could not afford insurance; refused to charge admission to what I had envisioned as a “free” event; and did not want the hassle of layers of administration for what was simply a monthly bicycle ride. Those who urged me to charge admission and buy insurance offered no help themselves, and in the end I decided to let Slug Velo go inactive. In a culture where suing someone for compensation seems almost as natural as breathing, I decided to keep my profile lower to avoid hassles. I don’t regret the decision.

I certainly hope that the injured rider recovers and that Zoobomb will not be forced to become something unrecognizable as a result of this crash.

• Random August 3, 2009 at 8:27 am

Not sure how that eliminates the liability issue. Seems to me that even as a private club Zoobomb would have to have insurance, insist on correct equipment for the ride, etc. – otherwise the organizers are still going to be at risk.

• E August 3, 2009 at 8:28 am

oy, get well soon!
    I suspect that bombers know their sport is risky. I also suspect that they take great care of themselves – otherwise there would be stories like this every week! Considering how rare such incidents turn out to be, I don’t think we should begrudge her the taxpayer-funded emergency care she received. It’s there for you too; whether you bomb mountains or never leave your house, life is full of risks.

• Sabrina August 3, 2009 at 8:35 am

People can have accidents on bicycles even if not in a competition. Lest we forget the late Ed Bomber of Corvallis who was a competitive cyclist, but who died last September when he was hit by a log truck while riding his bicycle to work. Last July, I crashed and burned on my own bicycle during a commute home from my job. Fortunately, I’m ok. I do hope Laura Sherrod will get well soon.

• Russell August 3, 2009 at 8:53 am

I know the police refused the press charges, but Ed’s crash was not an “accident”; he was left hooked by a truck that turned into him on a flat road with good visibility – he wasn’t taking any more personal risk than just being on the road for a morning training ride.

That being said, I’m not going to pile on to Laura. I wish her well and a quick recovery.

• K'Tesh August 3, 2009 at 9:59 am

Get Well Soon Laura!

• The kid August 3, 2009 at 10:36 am

You know that if she was wearing spandex and riding a road bike, then she would have your full support! I hope you sleep well at night! Get well laura!

• Scott August 3, 2009 at 10:37 am

Beth H,

There are many rides and races all over the country that did not give up simply because lawyers told them to buy insurance. Flight of the Pigs has been going strong for 10 years, and is arguably the toughest, most technical group ride on the planet. There is no insurance involved. Thanks for your anecdote, but not everyone has to play the “officially sanctioned and insured” game. I know many people all over the country that have been successfully doing this for years. We really can ride our bikes in public places without succumbing to permits and lawyers.
    This isn’t a story about rules and regulations. Someone had a bad crash, that’s about all there is to it.

• SkidMark August 3, 2009 at 10:40 am

Hood Bomb happens once a year and the participants are well aware of the risks. It is invite only. You are a friend or a friend-of-a-friend. The kind of friends that take responsibility for their own actions and don’t try to blame someone else when they crash and try to sue.

Maybe the answer is not to ride with lawyers.

• wsbob August 3, 2009 at 10:40 am

“So what you are saying it that if someone is poor they should not have access to life-flight?” skidmark #10

Are you joking? Whether they be poor or wealthy, the society we all live in is of course, not going to let someone’s survival that depends in an emergency situation, upon a service such as LifeFlight, die in an ambulance ride that would take much longer to get to the hospital.

How about this question: Should people that are unable to provide personal medical coverage for injuries they may sustain in an extreme riding event be discouraged or even prevented, to the extent that would be possible, from riding in that event?

A basic question underlying this incident, is how much of the consequences of ‘pushing the envelope’ so to speak, should our society be obliged to bear, in terms of medical or other expenses such an activity may result in?

The Hood Bomb wasn’t in any way, a ride like Sunday Parkways. Riding in the manner and style typical of that event, had someone had a mishap that required an expensive medical service to save the persons’ life, the outlook on providing that service would and I’d think, should be far different than in the situation of something like the Hood Bomb.

The nature of the ride bombs; zoo bomb, Hood Bomb, is said to deliberately encourage riders to push their bikes to extreme speeds that greatly raise the chances of serious accidents and collisions occurring. A person without funds to provide resulting medical care necessary in the event of an accident, should not be riding in something like the Hood Bomb.

Especially as the country grapples with the challenge of how to provide health care to all its citizens, the limits to which this coverage can realistically extend will have to be carefully considered.

• bigd August 3, 2009 at 10:40 am

that’s fine if you don’t get it, we’ll still keep bombing anyway.

heal quick lady, you’re in all of our thoughts.

• Steve Bozz August 3, 2009 at 11:02 am

Zoobomb makes America beautiful. It’s pretty silly, rather dangerous, and refreshingly well organized. If you don’t understand that, then I guess you’re just a hater.

Every bike rider should be concerned when one from our community is injured, particularly when it’s this bad. It’s not a time to be holier-than-thou.

Speedy recovery, Laura! I’m wondering whether Laura has insurance or not. With the extent of her injuries, I’m sure her bills will be enormous. Please let us know if and when the hat will be passed, or any other support is needed.

• steve August 3, 2009 at 11:17 am

I disagree Mr. Bozz.

If it was well organized, they would have a rider with some medical training riding down behind everyone else in a ‘sweep’ mode. This rider should have a cell phone or other communications device to instantly call for paramedics and should also have first responder training.

It is absurd that this poor girl had to lay on the side of the road until a motorist found her. I do not fault the girl, I fault her ‘friends’ who left her for dead on the side of the road.

How about a new motto for all you bombers?

“No Rider Left Behind!”

• Kt August 3, 2009 at 11:18 am

Some friends they turned out to be… not one of them were around when she ate it, and she’s extremely lucky that a passing motorist happened to be there to take care of her. Otherwise, who knows how long she could have been laying on the side of the road??

Laura, get well soon.

• maxadders August 3, 2009 at 11:29 am

I think the moral of beth’s story is…don’t invite five lawyers to your ride.

• Mike August 3, 2009 at 11:45 am

First and foremost, I hope Laura recovers fully and can resume her life as she prefers it.
    I personally don’t mind paying for other peoples accidents and mistakes.
    The fact they they are participating in an inherently dangerous activity with or without safety equipment, certainly without the proper bike, should make no difference.

Long live “insert Xtreme pushing the envelopeliving on the edge sport name here” and long live taxes and inflated health care costs!

This is the United States, which means freedom to do intelligent and/or stupid things, way overpriced healthcare for those who can afford it, almost none for those who cannot, and everyone suffers to some degree. The system is screwed up and events like this perpetuate. IMHO.

• bahueh August 3, 2009 at 11:46 am

#6 and #20…good road bikes are designed to take the pressures and speed of descent like that of timberline road…
    16″ kids bikes are not. its that easy. correct tool for the correct job. these bomber types know what they’re doing and if they don’t perceive the dangers of riding well above 20mph for a 120 pound adult (guess based on age and gender) on a bike designed to travel about 5mph under a 60 pound child…well, then there’s probably nothing anyone could do to prevent something like this. it’ll happen again.

• PJ August 3, 2009 at 12:44 pm

I can’t believe you people are having this argument here. The best rule on a bad crash post is if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all!

• Brad August 3, 2009 at 12:56 pm

Good call by Steve. (26)

This poor girl is seriously injured and potentially dying on the road while, I presume, a bunch of “extreme athletes” are celebrating their extremely epic extremeness with cheap beers and self congratulation. In the midst of their bravado, it appears no one thought, “Where’s Laura?”. Not even the so-called friends that invited her to this invitation only event?

I am now embarrassed that our city built a monument to these pillars of society.

• Matt Picio August 3, 2009 at 12:57 pm

PJ – Amen.

Heal quickly, Laura!

• Mike August 3, 2009 at 1:56 pm

Good luck Laura!

• pdxrocket August 3, 2009 at 3:04 pm

I like puppies and rainbows.

• SkidMark August 3, 2009 at 3:26 pm

Kt: that was a cheap shot. Sometimes when you are going 50+ mph on a bike or skateboard you may not realize that someone has not made it down the hill until you get to the bottom of the hill, especially if that person is behind you.

• SkidMark August 3, 2009 at 3:32 pm

A motorist discovered her before anyone had been able to get back UP the hill. I can’t believe how a bunch of people who weren’t even there and probably have no directly relatable experience in the given situation feel they can pass judgement on people they have never met. This is what I do not miss about Portland, all the self-righteous shit-talking that goes on from behind the safety of a computer screen.

• steve August 3, 2009 at 4:52 pm

This is for ya’ll again, especially Skidmark.

How about a new motto for all you bombers?

“No Rider Left Behind!”

• steve August 3, 2009 at 4:58 pm

Is it so unreasonable to offer up inexpensive/free solutions to what now appears is a possible and correctable problem?

Would only take one or two riders selflessly deciding to back up everyone else. Most every other ‘extreme’ sport has something similar.

Tow in surfboarders have a back up.

Rock climbers have someone on belay.

Do you really think it is preposterous to have someone sweep the course? How about the people who drove them all up sweep in the car? Have someone do a count at the bottom to see if anyone is missing?

Anything seems better than leaving a friend/cyclist on the road, waiting for a car to hopefully notice them in time.

• dan August 3, 2009 at 6:10 pm

Lots of 20/20 hindsight on display here. If y’all were actually _doing it_, then you might be in a better position to make suggestions about how to run Hood bombing.

Best wishes to Laura for a quick recovery.

• Quentin August 3, 2009 at 6:10 pm

To think they could have had just as much fun riding normal, adult-size bikes with functioning, effective brakes, with a frame, fork, and wheels designed for high-speed descents.

Many people have defended zoobomber-style rides with the argument that people can do whatever they want as long as they understand the risks, but I don’t think they really do understand the risks. This unfortunate girl probably didn’t realize how dangerous her choice really was, she didn’t understand that she was risking her life by riding a bike which was never designed for an adult on a high-speed descent. We’ve all been young and made dangerous decisions, but I think people who criticize zoobomber-style riding are simply speaking from experience and are concerned about safety, so their opinions certainly deserve respect and consideration.

• Honumedic August 3, 2009 at 6:11 pm

There are medics all the time on our rides. Unfortunately, this group left well after the main group, which HAD A MEDIC!!!!! a nationally certified, trained EMT. Yup, that’s right. Don’t believe me then come to the hill on Sunday and I’ll find the paperwork.

Until then, If you don’t know, STFU!

• dan August 3, 2009 at 6:27 pm

@Quentin #41.

I’m way too scared to downhill on a minibike, so I can’t be sure, but based on my downhill skateboard experience, downhilling a minibike is probably a waaaaay bigger thrill/sensation of speed than doing the same hill on a standard bike.

• Afro Biker August 3, 2009 at 6:59 pm

I know it’s probably not cool and “weird” enough for zoobombers, but maybe they should wear full protective gear like moto-crossers? Chest protectors,full face helmets, the works.

• Lazy Spinner August 3, 2009 at 8:19 pm

Riddle me this: If someone drove the Bombers to the top of the hill, why didn’t they act as a sag wagon on the way down? In addition to crashes, there are bound to be mechanicals or flats. This seems like a simple safety protocol and a basic courtesy to the participants. No one should be left in the middle of the course without some hope of support especially when the consequences can be so dire.

• red hippie August 3, 2009 at 10:19 pm

Good luck Laura, Heal quickly.

As for the back and forth. The practicalities are that if there are too many accidents like this or some civilian get killed, zoo bomb will be shut down either by law suit, police action or public out rage.

It doesn’t seem like a big deal to have a sweep. We do this with back country skiing and group mountain biking. Pretty basic safety precaution. I don’t think it is a lot to ask for the sport to mature a little to ensure it’s own survival and everyone’s well being.

Finally, I liked the interview on channel 2 where the “friend” made it sound like anything but a zoo bomb. What was he worried about?

• felix August 3, 2009 at 10:25 pm

Her Mom and friends have asked for the posts about it on Zoobomb be deleted. I took them down. I think this should be deleted as well or at least delete the comments and not allow new ones. People are really hateful and the poor girl just moved here. Give her a break.

Jonathan please do the right thing. People can really be nasty and for the most part have no idea what they are talking about.

Thanks.

• Afro Biker August 4, 2009 at 5:09 am

Why would you involve yourself in such an attention-getting activity and then complain when others comment?

Nobody here hates this woman, but should she be commended for bad judgement? It’s a miracle she wasn’t killed.

• Anonymous August 4, 2009 at 7:04 am

Honumedic,

You can have all the paperwork in the world but that won’t make up for poor planning. Like sending the medic down before the last rider.

Or letting an in experienced rider bomb Timberline.

• Brad August 4, 2009 at 8:59 am

Why do you hate free speech, Felix? No one here has been hateful to Laura but many have criticized the judgement of Zoobomb. I think that you are more motivated to protect Zoobomb from bad PR more than your injured comrade.

Afraid the PPB will out in force on Sunday night?

• Random August 4, 2009 at 9:44 am

I can understand why Felix took the posts down (Google cache is your friend) – there was at least one eyewitness account posted of how poorly prepared the Hoodbomb riders were.

• felix August 4, 2009 at 9:49 am

Yep, I hate free speech. You have me figured all out Brad. Damn, I have been exposed…..

I am simply trying to pass on the wishes of her family and friends.

The comments on this site have been ridiculous for the longest time and I am done reading.

Hate

• Anonymous August 4, 2009 at 9:56 am

Check out the cover photo on .

Promoting Hoodbomb 2009. Rather disconcerting that they are associating the consumption of alcohol with this event. (note very present open bottle of beer)

Drinking and driving don’t mix, most certainly drinking and this type of riding don’t mix either.

Was there alcohol involved in this accident?

Was the consumption of alcohol part of the event prior to the ride down the mountain?

Was the consumption of alcohol condoned by the organizers?

• PDXbiker August 4, 2009 at 10:19 am

We certainly all wish this young lady a full recovery. That being said, the criticism of not having a final sweeper on the road is totally valid. Want to bet they have one next time? And how about some instruction from experienced riders to novices on how to handle a one brake, knobby tired kids bike on a steep,long, windy mountain road. On this one, ZooBomb deserves the heat.

• PDXbiker August 4, 2009 at 10:31 am

And for Honumedic. Great comment. Too bad your nationally certified, trained EMT didn’t wait around until EVERYONE had left. Lot of good he could quickly do being at the bottom with someone almost dead near the top. And you’re telling people to STFU? Stupidity deserves to be pointed out.

• honumedic August 4, 2009 at 11:32 am

These people were not up there when the group left. Therefore the medic couldn’t know to wait for them. Again, if you don’t know the STFU!

• honumedic August 4, 2009 at 11:41 am

Criticism and make judgements without facts is the ultimate stupid, however I don’t ever expect an advanced mastery of ethics from someone trolling the intarwebs. All the facts are usually a good thing to have before passing judgement, which is a luxury most people here don’t deserve since this TRAGEDY has nothing to do with you. Go start static on 4chan or/b/ if you’re that bored

• Random August 4, 2009 at 12:28 pm

Well, the picture of the shirtless guy grabbing his crotch with an open bottle of beer on the ground in the Timberline parking lot has been taken off the front of the Zoobomber web page…

• PDXbiker August 4, 2009 at 1:23 pm

You are absolutely right, honumedic. Its a TRAGEDY. People aren’t bored about this, they’re concerned with valid opinions. Thats why you’ve got 58 comments and counting.

• Brad August 4, 2009 at 1:52 pm

The Zoobombers are now in full damage control / excuse making / deflect attention mode because the adults of Portland’s bike scene have called them on their lack of basic event organization.

Interesting that they utilize the old BushCo. Two Step – accuse critics of being haters and then bury all damaging evidence (including an appeal to Jonathan to silence all dissenting views on his forum).

• honumedic August 4, 2009 at 2:35 pm

The opinions are only valid if all of the information is correct. To say that we are poorly organized b/c we didn’t have a medic is unfair. We did have a medic all weekend and this group of individuals were not a part of the racers. Noone even knew they were up there, therefore they acted as a seperate entity and made choices for themselves. The “damaging evidence” on the forums was, just like this is now, a bunch of trash talk based on predjudicial opinions and elevated emotions. I’m not calling anyone a hater, just pointing out that there is alot of naysaying against a group of people who weren’t involved in this accident, and that is based on a lack of knowledge about the situation. Judge and jury without clear facts execute too quickly.

• Random August 4, 2009 at 2:46 pm

Odd, the posts that were deleted off the Zoobomber site seemed to indicate that Laura was part of the HoodBomb group, and Zoobombers seemed to know quite a bit about Laura’s medical status after the crash.

So, now you’re claiming that Laura had nothing to do with the HoodBomber group? Niiiiiice….

• Honumedic August 4, 2009 at 3:02 pm

They were to meet up with us. They had yet to do so.

• Brad August 4, 2009 at 3:58 pm

Conflicting stories, confusion about details – yep, sounds like this was run with Swiss precision.

What’s the truth? A rougue psuedo participant with no real affiliation with Zoobomb gets herself hurt outside the realm of the Hoodbomb? Or, lax oversight allows for a group to make their run without the “precautions” that allegedly existed?

Why did Zoobomb feel it necessary to remove the beer picture from their site? Why remove the post(s) on their own site detailing the events?

Nothing to hide since it was all done by the book, right? Perhaps Random (#51) could post the eyewitness accounts that disappeared so that we may get the better information Honumedic claims exonerates Zoobomb?

• Random August 4, 2009 at 5:10 pm

Brad,

Typing in obvious search terms into Google and hitting “cache” will get you the available posts.

• RWL1776 August 5, 2009 at 11:07 am

bahueh #30: you read my mind: wrong tool for the job is exactly what I was thinking.

As for comparing this to a mountainbike ride? Well, mtb’ers ride up AND down the hills, and sometimes our average speed is a whopping 8 MPH! And we have a novel approach to rides: it’s called a ‘Sweeper’. This kind person volunteers to be the last in the group and make sure NO ONE gets left behind for this exact reason. It’s for safeties sake.

“A failure to plan is just planning to fail”. And as any event planner knows from Day 1: You hope for the best, but plan for the worst. There’s no such thing as a mistake, only bad decisions as far as I’m concerned.

• honumedic August 5, 2009 at 12:32 pm

Downhill mtb’er ride alot faster than a whopping 8 mph and only ride DOWNHILL. Ever been to the xd course in Post canyon? if there are a group of riders, there has to be a first and a last. What happens if the “sweeper” has some type of failure and gets hurt, who watches the….oh that’s just awful

• Brad August 5, 2009 at 1:55 pm

Generally speaking, the sweeper doesn’t push the pace and rides very controlled (on the proper equipment!) in order to be the safety. At Hoodbomb you had car drivers that could have performed those duties with little to no personal risk.

How about this: Zoobomb is saddened by the injuies sustained by Laura Sherrod at our annual Hoodbomb. In light of this, we are planning to have more safety protocols in place for next year’s event such as sweeper vehicles with certified EMT staff on board. We will also be more selective with invitees and equipment to insure that this inherently dangerous athletic event is as safe as we can make it.

In the meantime, we wish Ms. Sherrod a quick recovery and a speedy return to our ranks.

That seems far smarter than the lame defenses offered on this forum.

• honumedic August 5, 2009 at 2:48 pm

There seems to be some confusion.

“Zoobomb is a near 7 year running weekly bike event that meets every Sunday around 8:30PM near American Apparel (13th & SW Burnside) in Portland OR. Bring a bike, MAX fare ($2.00), bike lights, and any safety gear you need.
    Its a good time and you WILL have fun!
    MINI BIKES ENCOURAGED – ALL BIKES WELCOME
    HELMETS ARE A GOOD IDEA
    * RIDE AT YOUR OWN RISK *
    LEAVE NO TRACE”

Try it sometime and quell any misgivings any of you may have. The suggestions that may have made this unfortunate situation a bit better or even averted it are very sound, valid points. Unfortunately some of them have been guided by a weak understanding of how things go down on a regular basis. The idea that a certain group of friends isn’t commited to safety and cohesion despite the risks inherent in their hobby isn’t a fair judgement. As someone who has, for quite some time, strived for heightened safety along with the aid of an amazing community of people I can say that you might just be suprised to see that majority of your collective safety suggestions have already been in place for quite some time. Name the sport that, despite all of the efforts to the contrary, hasn’t had some tragic accident. Go ahead, I’ll give you a minute. Until then, See the above quote and join in the fun. IF you’re still committed to throwing around sugestions without being an active part of the solution or at least doing a bit of field research first then have a blast with all of the internet oversight your little fingers can type.

• corey August 5, 2009 at 7:02 pm

thanks from laura for all the support
    also thanks from the family and myself

i know its lots of fun to criticize zoobombers. it is. especially on the interweb. but please remember her mom is reading this so be chill.

• chad August 6, 2009 at 4:29 am

A few years ago, there was an article in the Oregonian about a local woman who got into her truck to go to work in the morning, started the ignition, dropped her lit cigarette down her shirt, opened the door and jumped out of the truck, which was already in reverse and ran her over and killed her. One moment, she was in her usual routine of going to work, the next — dead.

Stuff happens. No matter what you’re doing. It happens when you’re riding bikes, it happens when you’re just getting in your truck to go to work in the morning. You never know.

Please be grateful for what you have, and let’s all hope Laura makes a full recovery!

• Brian October 10, 2009 at 12:56 pm

…and a very special thank you to the Mt. Hood Ski patroller for being one of the first on scene – with his years of experience and cool head in a very precarious situation. The first hour is most essential and stabilizing her on scene and calling for life flight right away probably saved her life. There was no mention of this in the articles I read…so kudos to Mt Hood ski patrol!