Weekend Guide and Open Thread

Posted by on March 27th, 2009 at 5:13 pm

It’s the weekend!

I’ve been largely without a working computer this week — my laptop will be out of the shop on Monday afternoon — and I’m looking forward to having a couple of days off from shuffling between borrowed computers, re-learning old operating systems, getting used to unfamiliar keyboards, and trying to remember passwords.

So let’s keep this short. There are a couple of interesting rides this weekend, including:

- A five mile, decorated ride on Saturday morning to celebrate International SWAN Day (SWAN stands for Support Women Artists Now).

Story continues below

- Another Easy Riders outing on Sunday — this one involves a bike ride out to Tryon Creek State Park where participants will lock up their steeds and go for a hike.

- If you’re one of those many Portlanders who is considering buying a car “to get out of town,” you may want to think again — check out Sunday’s Bike Camping 101 class hosted by Cycle Wild.

- Or there’s always Florida.

Have fun out there, whatever the weather. And let us know what you do and where you ride.

Comments
  • Cecil March 27, 2009 at 7:24 pm

I’ll be putting on layers and layers of rain gear for the Oregon Randonneurs’ Birkie Brevet:

• John Russell March 27, 2009 at 10:05 pm

Well, my school’s spring break just started, so I’m off to celebrate in a very northwest way—a week of bike camping. Wish me luck, and I’ll see you all at the CRC rally on Sunday after I return.

• Mark March 28, 2009 at 7:57 am

Post a well-considered, positive caption to counter the latest irresponsible attempt by the Oregonian to fan anti-cyclist flames.

• revphil March 28, 2009 at 12:53 pm

The Community Alliance of Tenants is throwing an info-rager.

Party For Your Rights! Come have fun with great music, good friend,
    drinks and food, all to help CAT! Live music from the Golden Greats,
    The Taxpayers, and Drats!!!
    March 28th
    6pm to 11pm,
    Liberty Hall,
    311 N Ivy.

• Anonymous March 28, 2009 at 2:01 pm

Up and over Bald Peak. This is fun?

• Mike March 28, 2009 at 2:16 pm

Tryon Creek is a beautiful park!

I’m heading over with the Easy Riders on Sunday!

• buglas March 28, 2009 at 5:48 pm

Mark #3, got you covered. Thanks for the heads up. It’s an uphill battle, but you do what you can.

• Kevin March 28, 2009 at 7:36 pm

Rode 44 miles with Portland Velo today. Some decent climbing in the Tualatin Mtns and the rain wasn’t as bad as expected. Tomorrow a group of us are re-riding the Oregon Randonneur’s Snoozeville Populaire route. Keeping our fingers crossed for a bit drier weather!

• Jonathan Maus (Editor) March 29, 2009 at 11:34 am

Cheers again from Florida,

The family and i are visiting some old friends in St Petersburg, FL. This is a great little city. They’ve got separated bikeways on some of their downtown streets, lots of on-street bike parking, great walkways, and a traffic-calmed, human-scaled, and vibrant old downtown core.

Did I mention it’s in the low ’80s?! Oh, and I love palm trees. ;-)

• Cecil March 29, 2009 at 12:22 pm

I am jealous, Jonathan – I’ve spent many vacations just down the way from St. Pete Beach in Pass-a-Grille (insert lame BBQ joke here) and sure wish I were there right now – especially after yesterday’s astonishingly wet 200K – I don’t know what kind of rain Kevin (#8) was expecting, but what we got between Timber and Birkenfeld was much worse than I had expected! Of course, if I had only done 44 miles in it, instead of 126, perhaps I would not have been so soggy at the end! I just hope the many riders who told me that this was their first ever brevet were not dissuaded from trying it again!

• are March 29, 2009 at 1:29 pm

mark 3, wow you’re right. it’s fun and easy. now I got started I can’t stop.

• are March 29, 2009 at 10:28 pm

uh oh, looks like I wore out my welcome

• are March 29, 2009 at 11:23 pm

wasn’t able to quite get this in under the 150-word limit:

To the editor:

The drawing posted for the current caption contest misrepresents the proposed “Idaho stop” law and feeds animosity towards cyclists among your readers.

The cartoon depicts a cyclist blowing through a stop sign at speed while there are others at the intersection with the right of way. This is not what the proposed law would permit.

The proposal would require a cyclist to slow down to look for approaching traffic, yielding to any traffic that has the right of way. Blowing through would remain illegal, just as it is illegal for a motorist to drive ten miles over the limit, or not signal a turn or a lane change, or not yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk. Caricature that.

The Oregonian has failed to cover this issue objectively. All we have is Harry Esteve’s snarky piece from March 18 and this cartoon. Your readers likely do not know what the “Idaho stop” proposal actually says, and the caption contest is merely an opportunity to reinforce prejudices.

Sincerely,

• RyNO Dan March 30, 2009 at 10:32 am

Govt Auto Bailout gives tax incentives to BUY CARS !!

• Elly Blue March 30, 2009 at 11:25 am

Hey folks, thanks for posting updates on news topics. Keep them coming –

I’m going to post the Monday Roundup and some news stories about stop signs, mountain bikes, bike parking, and more as soon as possible, but it won’t be till later this afternoon.

Apologies for the delay in getting the news out. Enjoy your Monday –

Elly

• are March 30, 2009 at 12:03 pm

footnote: it is actually true that the list moderator over there at the Oregonian cut me off from further posting to the comment list — or excuse me, the caption contest list.

• a.O March 30, 2009 at 12:19 pm

Jonathan-

Cheers from Portland, where I got pelted in the face with pea-sized hail yesterday while riding around town. Still, the view from the top of Tabor was nice after it stopped. I was able to stay for nearly 30 seconds before the frostbite started to set in.

But the best part was the lady in her Volvo stationwagon who pulled out onto SE Lincoln right in front of me while I was headed downhill. If I hadn’t been paying close attention — through the hail — she would have killed me. And then maybe paid a small fine if Joe Kurmanskie had thought it worth the effort to do a citizen citation.

Do you have room for one more in Florida?

Thanks,

Chris

• brian March 30, 2009 at 3:19 pm

Jonathan Maus,

Did you have a chance to jump on the Pinellas Trail? Best pavement biking there is, and bridges over busy intersections, too.