Words of thanks and a Thanksgiving weekend open thread

Posted by on November 26th, 2008 at 4:33 pm

The Maus Family (From L to R: Dad, Danica, Eleni, Juli)

Happy Thanksgiving from everyone here at BikePortland headquarters (Elly and I). We hope you have the opportunity to take a few days off and spend some quality time with your friends and family.

As is tradition this time of year, I want to say thanks.

Thank you to everyone who works to make this community something I am proud to report on. I am lucky to be able to point my camera and my questions at so many amazing people every week.

Thanks are also due to every one of you who contributes to this site; either by sending tips (of words and/or money!), by commenting, or even by just telling your friends to check it out.

And of course, I want to give a special nod to all our advertising partners who make it possible for this site to exist and flourish:

Local bike shops

Bicycle businesses and organizations

Community partners

Barring any major breaking news, we’ll be taking a much-needed breather until Monday. Enjoy the holiday and feel free to share your plans (anyone taking a long bike ride?) and thoughts below.

Comments
  • K'Tesh November 26, 2008 at 4:52 pm

Thanks to Jonathan and family for having this resource for all of us!

Happy Thanksgiving!

• Wilsonville9 November 26, 2008 at 6:19 pm

Thanks, Jonathan. I don’t know what this town would do without you!

• jim November 26, 2008 at 8:13 pm

Great picture
    Happy Holidays to the Maus familly
    -Jim

• Zaphod November 26, 2008 at 8:38 pm

Thanks for all that you do. You’re the nerve center for Portland’s bike culture.

• Lalita November 26, 2008 at 9:07 pm

Thank you Johnathon and thank you to all who comment and contribute. After getting hit by a car while on my bike years ago, I’ve been too terrified to get back on a bike, but the stories and comments here are slowly pushing me back toward the pedals. And in the meantime, it’s made me a better, more cautious, and considerate driver. All drivers should be able to hear the bike perspective of road use, to understand why the responsible bikers ride the way they do and what we can do to keep them safe. Thanks everyone, for encouraging biking, bike safety, and bike culture. You are all making a difference.

• Pasture Ted November 26, 2008 at 10:02 pm

12 hours until the Appetite Enhancement Ride!

Downtown Portland will be deserted tomorrow morning, ride around on all the worst streets with no cars! Meet at 10AM at E Salmon and the East Bank Esplanande! Thanksgiving Day.

Full posting on the shift calender
    –Pasture Ted

And mark your calender for the “Rehab Ride” on Jan 1…

• Graham November 26, 2008 at 10:08 pm

That is a great picture; you all look ready to go both over the river *and* through the woods.

Well, thanks to you for making a great space for people like me to prattle on about biking in Portland, a topic we hold near and dear.

Have a great Thanksgiving, everyone!

• Refunk November 26, 2008 at 11:37 pm

It is a great picture!

Thanks Jonathan (and Elly!) for all you put into BikePortland. I’d really rather use it as my sole news source, but I force myself to look at other media from time to time. Is that an Obama spokecard in yer front wheel, there? He won, didn’t he?! Too cool.

Oh, yeah – after reading the B-P article on UPS biking, I applied and started yesterday. Will let ya know how that works out. So, there’s another thing I’m thankful for about BikePortland.

Plus, see you all at BikeCraft (look for odd bike lights)! That’s three (3) things I’m thankful to y’all for. Have a great holiday.

• erin g. November 27, 2008 at 10:34 am

Happy Thanksgiving, Jonathan, Elly, Juli, Danica and Eleni!

Jonathan, thank you so much for all that you have done for this community. Portland has risen to and through major things these past years, and this town would not be where it is today if it weren’t for bikeportland.org. You offer so much more than a news outlet and open forum: you are a source of leadership and communications infrastructure that makes the unique fabric of this community possible.

Have a lovely holiday weekend. I just finished a quick, crisp solo ride for a little sun and solace before the Thanksgiving fun begins. It was chilly along the river and absolutely gorgeous.

Warmest wishes to the entire BikePortland.Org family and community!

• Joe November 27, 2008 at 12:11 pm

Happy ThanksGiving all

• Kt November 27, 2008 at 2:01 pm

Happy Thanksgiving, Metro-area bikey peoples!! So lovely to see so many of you out there this morning on Tual-Sherwood Rd, and Hall Blvd!

I got in a good almost 2-hours of riding… of course, now I’m tired, and I still have to make the green beans for dinner with the entire clan (we’re talking about 20 people).

• bikey Mama carie November 27, 2008 at 2:25 pm

Happy Thanksgiving!
    I started making the pie crust, looked out the kitchen window and saw the most wonderful thing- BIKE POLO in Pen Park :-)
    beat the butter into the flour while they beat the ball to score!!
    too bad cody wy (4y-o) was in bed, maybe next time he’ll be up later and ride over to see the action. it’s never to early to learn to play, eh?
    Cheers!
    Carie

• SYK November 27, 2008 at 6:54 pm

Happy Thanksgiving Jonathan!
    Enjoy and treasure your much deserved family time this weekend.
    Thank you Jonathan and the entire bike community here for all of the support, friendship and encouragement this past year.
    Susie

• Miss Ena November 27, 2008 at 10:53 pm

Jonathan, Eleni, Danica and Juli,

It was great to bump into you all on the Esplanade recently! I miss the girls soooo much! I hope you all have a great holiday and enjoy your time together.

Portland is unique and wonderful because of people like you and the hard work you do to see your vision become a reality. Thanks thanks thanks!

Hopefully, soon I will be able to have music classes in Pdx and you all are always welcome.

• beth h November 29, 2008 at 10:44 am

Thanks for everything you do, Jonathan! Even if I don’t always agree with your perspective, you add an essential element to All Things Bicycle in our town.

I had my own private pre-turkey ride on Thursday (didn’t know Shift had planned anything), a 20-mile loop around Smith & Bybee Lakes and over to downtown St. Johns. Two herons, an osprey and a zillion Canada geese at an unusually quiet PIR (yesss!) made for a beautiful ride.

Happy riding!

• Lenny Anderson December 1, 2008 at 10:21 am

Many thanks for this great site. Keep up the good work.