Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on January 18th, 2008 at 9:23 am
Mark Ginsberg hob-nob at last
year's Alice Awards.
(Photo © Jonathan Maus)
The BTA's Alice Awards (sort of like the Academy Awards for the bike community) are coming in late March and they've just announced this year's nominees.
The 37 nominees (full list is below) were culled from all across Oregon and range from a mountain bike trail advocate in Scappoose (small town north of Portland), perennial nominee Mark Ginsberg, the organizers of the Cross Crusade, a City Commissioner (guess which one), a Portland police officer, a metro planner, a few citizen activists, and many more.
Only five or six of these "bike heroes" will go home with the coveted Alice B. Toeclips trophy, but not before the BTA hosts a great party (this year's theme is Paris) and holds a huge auction (it's their largest fundraiser of the year).
So without further ado, the nominees are...
- Sam Adams, Portland City Commissioner
- Hal Ballard, Washington County Bicycle Transportation Coalition founder
- Bill Barber, Planner
- Eleanor Blue, Advocate, activist and organizer*
- Jim Bombardier, Inventor
- Kacia Brockman, EnergyTrust workplace organizer
- Bruce Buffington, NW Bicycle Safety Council founder
- Cross Crusade, Race organizers
- Kim Curley, Commute Options (Bend) outreach coordinator
- Cycle Oregon
- Justin Dean, Community Cycling Center teacher and volunteer
- Karl Dinkelspiel, Portland Development Commission workplace organizer
- Ann Donaca-Sullivan and Patty Verzani, "Lose the Training Wheels" founders
- Mary Fellows, Bike commuter and activist
- Jim Fox, Bike commuting coach
- Susan France, leader of Oregon Randonneurs
- Roger Geller, City of Portland Bicycle Program Manager
- Mark Ginsberg, Attorney-at-Law
- Norrene Godfrey, Team Rubicon captain, cancer and bicycling activist
- Paul Gribbon, Willamette River CSO Tunnel Program Manager
- Don & Sally Hopkins; Bill & Gail Bonniksen; Scott's Cycle & Fitness, sponsors of bike giveaways in Salem schools
- Mel Huie, Metro parks planner
- Steve Jorgensen, Bend Parks and Recreation planning manager
- John Joy, Scappose trail advocate and volunteer
- Greg, Antonia and Curtis MacNaughton, model biking family
- Brian Manning, Youth bike instructor
- Jonathan Maus, Reporter**
- Robert Pickett, Portland Police Officer
- Tom Ralley, Volunteer for youth bike programs
- Teri Redwolf, Bike commuting coach
- Susan Remmers, Executive Director, Community Cycling Center
- Stephanie Routh, president of Umbrella, Portland bicycle activist
- Bill Stites, Advocate, activist and organizer
- Sara Stout, Bicycle and car-free activist
- Scott Weber, Providence St. Vincent Medical Center workplace organizer
- Margaret Weddell, Bicycle advocate, educator and attorney
- Jon Zeliff, Central Point Police Department Chief
- Oregon State Senator Floyd Prozanski
*Eleanor Blue sits on the Alice Awards Committee and is therefore not eligible to win an award this year.
**I won an Alice Award in 2007 and am not eligible to win again.
Good luck to everyone and I'll see you there!
Alice Awards Party and Auction
March 22nd, 5:00pm
Oregon Convention Center (in Portland)
777 NE MLK Jr Blvd