Cyclists celebrate in Pioneer Square

Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on May 16th, 2007 at 11:19 am

Bike to Work Day
Commissioner Adams on the pedal-powered smoothie.
File photo: 5/16/07
Bike to Work Day
File photo: 5/16/07

Cyclists from all over the city met up in Pioneer Courthouse Square this morning for the annual Bike to Work Day breakfast. PDOT staffers passed out stickers, fried eggs, and tried their best to keep the coffee flowing.

By all accounts, it was a great turnout. People showed up in waves from group rides throughout the city. I joined a group from north Portland that included Olivia Rebanal from the Overlook neighborhood who rode to work with her daughter Philly on a trail-a-bike.

Bike to Work Day
First-time bike commuter
Julie Rawls.
File photo: 5/16/07

The Rebanals are old pros when it comes to biking, but for Julie Rawls, who heads up Public Affairs for the Portland Development Commission (PDC), this morning was her first bike commute ever. Also from north Portland, Julie was encouraged to ride today by co-worker Karl Dinkelspiel. She said she's ridden around her neighborhood, but wouldn't have commuted to work without some guidance and friendly pestering,

"I've been really wanting to work on my fitness...I'm committed to doing this at least twice a week. It's a big deal for me. Coming across the Broadway Bridge is much nicer on a bike... and I have a new appreciation for bike lanes!"

Judging from her smile, I think she's hooked.

Commissioner Sam Adams rode his yellow Specialized mountain bike into the city from his home in Kenton. Hungry from his ride, he hopped on Kyrstin Westwind's pedal-powered-smoothie-equipped Xtracycle and whipped up a strawberry smoothie.

If you missed this event, swing by Oregon Square on Friday morning for another party full of morning pedalers.

Browse the rest of my photos.

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • jeff May 16, 2007 at 11:22 am

Too bad I missed it (too early), but it was nice to see a noticably greater number of bikes on the road this morning!

• Steve May 16, 2007 at 12:38 pm

Yeah...maybe they could plan these to start a little earlier in the a.m. I go in at 6a and see plenty of unrewarded souls (well we do get endorphins I 'spose !!)

Way to go everyone, esp. the first-timers...keep it up, it gets easier and more addictive!

• Zach King May 16, 2007 at 1:23 pm

I didn't make it downtown, but did bike commute in 20 miles from Banks to Beaverton. Gotta do it today! (just wish I could every day...)

Biking rocks, no matter what day it is and how often you do it!

• peejay May 16, 2007 at 1:28 pm

I knew that going to the event would make me late for work, but I did it anyway. Then I get to work, and it turns out I had to teach a training session that I completely forgot about. Pulled it off, though.

• Sarah Bott May 16, 2007 at 1:53 pm

Way to go, Julie!

• Lanette May 16, 2007 at 2:47 pm

where is Oregon Square? and what time does the event start?

• el timito May 16, 2007 at 3:40 pm

Oregon Square is in the Lloyd District, you can read about the Lloyd TMA breakfast here:

• el timito May 16, 2007 at 3:43 pm

Pedal Smoothies, yay!
    You can hear the Trash Mountain Boys' ode to the old Shift pedal smoothie machine here:
    (click on "Pedal Smoothie"; unless you want to hear some of the rest of today's set, recorded last month at Renn Fayre, in which case click on whatever you like)

• Jonathan Maus / BikePortland May 16, 2007 at 3:46 pm

lanette,

oregon square:
    (NE Holladay between 7th and 9th)

• griffin May 16, 2007 at 5:26 pm

Thanks for the great write up on this fun community event ~love the shot of Sam on the B3! I have been wanting to get photos of my bike blender in action, and this was priceless. I should have you do ALL the publicity shots for Sprocket Smoothies! :)

~Kyrstin
    Sprocket Smoothies & Spirits

• Tasha May 16, 2007 at 7:10 pm

Ah, that was you in front of me on the Broadway Bridge, Jonathan! Having never met you or really seen any photos, I didn't realize. I wondered who the guy taking all the photos was. I joined your group by accident, coming over the bridge from NE. Breakfast was yummy, it was worth getting up early, and it was nice to see so many people out on their bikes.