Lots of news to get to so let’s jump right in shall we?
There’s been a lot of shuffling of bike shops in Portland in the past few years. There are several reasons we see bike shops move or go out of business. There’s always a pendulum swing and shake-out in a city whose enthusiasm for cycling sometimes outpaces its actual support of it. Rent increases are another major culprit. Bike shops aren’t exactly cash cows and most owners operate on very thin margins. Finding the right space with the right size at the right price is not easy — especially in a city where landlords and developers would rather own multi-story residential buildings.
With that, here are the updates we’ve got for you (scroll down to get all the details):
- Upcycles moves out of Woodlawn
- Kenton Cycle Repair moves into much larger space
- Metropolis Cycles changes plans
- Announcing the Breadwinner Cafe!
- East Portland shops step up to help