Community Events Manager
Company / Organization
About Oregon Walks (visit us at www.oregonwalks.org)
Oregon Walks is dedicated to promoting walking and making the conditions for walking safe, convenient and attractive throughout Oregon. We believe in the power of walking to improve both individual well-being and general quality of life within our communities, and it’s good for the environment. In our work toward that mission, we are seeking a Community Events Manager to help lead our community programming initiatives.
The Community Events Manager at Oregon Walks is responsible for developing, organizing, and leading a variety of programs. The two primary goals are: (1) the development of walks with partner organizations and (2) hosting walking events with higher density housing providers aimed at supporting community members to access more in their neighborhood by foot. This role promotes pedestrian advocacy, safety, and health, as well as reducing vehicle miles traveled, while also building a sense of community around walking.
This position works from home. However, programming occurs regularly in-person in the Portland Metro area, so living in the Portland Metro area is necessary.
Oregon Walks is a very small organization! This means, our employees have to be a “jack of all trades” who can lend a hand on social media, advocacy, administrative tasks, etc.
1. Partner with local housing providers to host “Where Can You Walk?” events
2. Collaborate with partner organizations to design and develop walking programs
3. Research and identify community needs, preferences, and interests to create innovative and engaging walking initiatives
4. Work with organizational leadership to develop program goals, objectives, and future programming
1. Plan and organize a diverse range of walking events, including group walks, educational walks, advocacy walks, and membership walks
2. Oversee all logistical aspects of events, including route planning, safety protocols, permits, and participant registration
1. Build and nurture partnerships with community organizations, schools, local businesses, and government agencies to expand the reach of walking programs
2. Recruit, train, and manage volunteers to assist with program coordination and promotion
Outreach and Promotion:
1. Develop and implement marketing and outreach strategies to raise awareness of walking programs within the community
2. Utilize various communication channels, including social media, newsletters, and public speaking, to promote the benefits of walking
Data Management and Reporting:
1. Maintain accurate records of program participation, feedback, and impact
2. Prepare regular reports for the organization’s leadership and stakeholders, demonstrating the success and growth of walking programs
-Passion for walking and the promotion of pedestrian-friendly communities
-Experience in program development, event planning, and community engagement
-The knowledge and personality to host events, namely excellent communication and interpersonal skills
-Organized with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
-Knowledge of Oregon communities and the unique needs of diverse populations
-58,000-$65,000 annual salary
-Health and dental benefits
-Opportunity for professional development and networking
-Knowledge you are working toward creating healthier, happier communities
Oregon Walks is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds and abilities to apply.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include if you are interested in full-time or part-time work. We will begin reviewing applications on November 13th, however we will continue to accept applications until the position is filled.
Oregon Walks thanks all applicants for their interest in the position, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.