Harvest Century September 22nd

Mayoral candidate staffer victim of hit-and-run while biking on Vancouver Avenue

Posted by on August 15th, 2019 at 9:46 am

Southbound Vancouver at Broadway.

Laura Krouse.
(Photo: Sarah for Portland Mayor)

Laura Krouse, community development coordinator for the campaign Sarah Iannarone for Mayor campaign, was hit by a driver while biking to work yesterday (8/14). It happened at the intersection of North Vancouver and Broadway.

Krouse says she was pedaling south on Vancouver when she was right-hooked by someone who tried to turn right onto Broadway (which is illegal). “It was a hit-and-run,” Krouse shared when I asked her what happened this morning. “They stopped and gave me a fake name. When I asked them for their info, they sped off. Didn’t even get out of the car.”

Big sale at Community Cycling Center

Central City in Motion project plan shows future changes to Broadway at Vancouver.

Fortunately Krouse was not hurt (and opted to not report it to police), but her bike is mangled. The community rallied and has raised $250 so far to help get it running again. Unfortunately, this intersection remains problematic.

Vancouver is a major part of the cycling network. We used to have a gap in the bike lane between Broadway and Weidler. That was filled with a bus/bike only lane in 2012 and ODOT made additional changes to the intersection in 2016. Today, three southbound lanes meet with two more southbound lanes that exit Interstate 5. There are separate signals for each set of lanes which helps reduce conflicts, but the intersection is still confusing and stressful environment for many users.

The City of Portland’s Central City in Motion plan has a project that aims to improve this intersection. Project #18 (at right) would add a green-colored and protected bike lane to Broadway. It’s slated for construction by 2023.

Mayoral Candidate Sarah Iannarone uses a bicycle for most of her trips around town. She has also been outspoken in her opposition to the I-5 Rose Quarter Project. On Twitter this morning she hinted at a “tactical urbanism intervention” at the Vancouver/Broadway intersection in response to this collision. Stay tuned.

Never miss a story. Sign-up for the daily BP Headlines email.

BikePortland needs your support.

PDXCyclist August 15, 2019 at 10:19 am

Meh that sucks. Antisocial behavior. Hopefully she got a license plate?

Broadway/Weidler project looks pretty promising. Saw they’re considering a raised side street crossing too. https://www.portlandoregon.gov/transportation/article/702679

esther2 August 15, 2019 at 10:40 am

This is a good lesson for all of us. When something like this happens, either to you, or you observe it. whip out that cell phone and get a picture of the car, plates, and person.

bikeninja August 15, 2019 at 10:43 am

This is not just a cycling infrastructure problem but a result of a common theme here, the dangerous results of a complete lack of traffic enforcement in PDX. I see this sort of thing all the time, drivers brazenly breaking clear laws and directions knowing that it is unlikely they will be caught. Only so much can be done with infrastructure, given the obvious selfishness and sociopathy of a large portion of the motoring population. I feel like I am living in an old comic book where “metropolis” has been overrun by criminals but unlike the comic book there is no superhero on the way to dispense justice to the rotten scofflaws. Not sure where this is going but it won’t end well.

Middle of The Road Guy August 15, 2019 at 11:04 am

I think accusing a majority of the population as sociopaths is going a little too far.

El Biciclero August 15, 2019 at 12:15 pm

I’m pretty sure just about everyone becomes a little more sociopathic when they get behind the wheel. The initial degree of sociopathy and the multiplier will vary person-to-person, but I don’t think accusing a majority of the population of being temporary sociopaths is too far off.

Middle of The Road Guy August 16, 2019 at 8:06 am

In that case, I’ve noticed that a large portion of cyclists ignore traffic controls and act unpredictably. At least on my little corner of the world which is on a bike route.

Concordia Cyclist August 16, 2019 at 8:40 am

I’m sure that your observation is accurate, but the result is normally an annoyance, not life threatening. Additionally, being in a vehicle separates one from the environment one is passing through – which seemingly would be more likely to foster a sociopathic response.

Fred August 16, 2019 at 1:31 pm

@MOTRG You notice the cyclists’ behaviors b/c there are so many fewer cyclists. You don’t even notice the motorists’ behaviors b/c they are ubiquitous. Can’t tell you how many people stop me and say “I saw you cycling!” But did I see them driving? Nope – you are anonymous in your steel cage, behind the wall of glass (often completely darkened glass), and you can get away with almost anything.

Toby Keith August 16, 2019 at 9:15 am

I’ve noticed that behaviour from the guys who wear full racing kit and feel the need to pass me so fast and close in the bike lanes I feel their wind.

jeffb August 16, 2019 at 12:26 pm

Cool cool cool, more Bikeportland lycra shaming!

El Biciclero August 16, 2019 at 2:23 pm

“I feel their wind.”

“Upper Wind” or “Lower Wind”?

Chris I August 16, 2019 at 2:23 pm

You’re complaining about a free, cooling breeze on a hot afternoon? What’s not to like?

Dan A August 16, 2019 at 2:38 pm

Sorry, I am powered by burritos.

bikeninja August 15, 2019 at 1:28 pm

A large portion of the motoring population is not the same thing as a majority, that would be “the largest portion”. Large portion just signifies a number that is bigger than insignificant or small. A keen observation of PDX motorists will lead you to the unavoidable conclusion that more than a tiny number (lack empathy, and have a weak conscience that allows them to act recklessly or aggressively even when they know their behavior is wrong*)
        * Psycology Today.

Middle of The Road Guy August 16, 2019 at 8:03 am

Imagine if someone said “a large portion of Mexicans”…

Dan A August 16, 2019 at 9:56 am

Ah yes, racism is pretty much the same thing as noticing that many drivers act with little concern for others.

Chris I August 16, 2019 at 2:24 pm

A large portions of Mexicans live in Mexico.

Dan A August 16, 2019 at 6:33 am

I take it you’ve never driven on Highway 26 between 5 and 6am.

Middle of The Road Guy August 16, 2019 at 8:07 am

some days between 7-730am.

Dan A August 16, 2019 at 9:52 am

Oh, traffic there is plenty civilized when there is little room to move around. In the early mornings it can be terrifying. People tailgate aggressively and swerve in & out of lanes with no warning. And who’s to stop them? I’ve never once seen the patrol out that early.

RIcky August 15, 2019 at 2:04 pm

Even if there is an increase in enforcement, the consequences for those caught by law enforcement will be minor. Hitting someone with a car might be the easiest way to get away with murder.

John Lascurettes August 15, 2019 at 10:48 am

If I’m reading that CCIM graphic correctly, are they planning on adding a slip turn from Vancouver onto Broadway? Please tell me no. That’s going to introduce many more accidents.

John Lascurettes August 15, 2019 at 10:53 am

Ah, now I recognize it as the slip turn from the I-5 offramp, counting the number of lanes there.

Sarah, sorry you got swiped by an unscrupulous driver. That really stinks.

John Lascurettes August 15, 2019 at 11:23 am

OMG, my reading comprehension is zero today I guess. Sorry to Laura for the situation!

(my excuse I guess is that I was under general anesthesia two days ago)

jim r August 15, 2019 at 11:02 am

Sorry Laura. To make things worse, the city’s investigators have been overwhelmed with hit and run accidents for years and if you don’t pursue this, they certainly won’t simply because you didn’t die or go to the hospital. I know from experience. I hope you feel better soon and am happy to hear of improvements for this intersection.

Bjorn Warloe August 15, 2019 at 11:23 am

I hope she changes her mind about reporting it. Severe under reporting of hit and run is part of how it continues to be viewed as not being the problem it is.

EP August 15, 2019 at 4:02 pm

A few years back I was on Vancouver stopped at this light. Got the green arrow, looked back at the I5 offramp, all clear, I barely start to pedal and VRRROOOOOMMMMM a car at highway speed just flew through their red light. Fortunately they stopped at the red light on Weidler and didn’t careen into the cross traffic. Closest call I’ve had yet. I avoid this intersection a lot now.

Gregg August 15, 2019 at 5:59 pm

sarah2020.com

It’s partially related. I’m totally voting for Sarah Iannarone for mayor. I’ll guess most BP readers are with me.

BikeRound August 15, 2019 at 6:47 pm

I went to her website, listened to the video, and read all of the text. There is not much there besides generic platitudes. Granted, the election is a long ways off, and hopefully she will provide more specifics.

Andrew August 16, 2019 at 9:18 am

Aye. I was hoping for more policy positions and specifics. But as you say, the election is a long way off. I don’t even know who else is running. But from what I’ve heard about Sarah around here, and also the fact that shes an urban planning wonk, I hope she presents some concrete goals and plans to achieve them soon.

Andrew August 16, 2019 at 9:22 am

Considering how important Vancouver/Williams are for N/NE cycling, and how much bike traffic both receive, the weak sauce infra is laughable at best.

Fred August 16, 2019 at 1:37 pm

I agree – haven’t been very impressed with Sarah, either her positions or her rhetoric, though her heart seems to be in the right place about promoting cycling. Her comments in the article about burnout sounded vague and political, as though they had been tested by a committee to determine (a) what sounds good, and (b) what offends the least number of people. They reminded me of that comment by Bill Clinton about “preserving [his] political viability.”

dwk August 15, 2019 at 8:09 pm

She has come one here before and answered no questions..
      Maybe this incident will spark an interest that she has not had before..

Matt August 15, 2019 at 8:55 pm

Nope.

And would prefer to keep political endorsements to other venues maybe?

soren August 16, 2019 at 10:49 am

posts their political disapproval and then says people should keep their political endorsements off the blog.

Middle of The Road Guy August 16, 2019 at 8:07 am

I will not pull the lever for an ANTIFA member. Sorry.

soren August 16, 2019 at 10:54 am

so you only pull the lever for people who are undecided about fascism or support fascism?

PS August 16, 2019 at 3:02 pm

Pretty sure you can be against Antifa and Fascists, and last I looked there wasn’t a fascist running for mayor, so it would be acceptable to exclude the member of Antifa and not need to say that you’re also not pulling the lever for a fascist.

Toby Keith August 16, 2019 at 9:11 am

mark smith August 16, 2019 at 9:58 am

The CIM plan simply makes a wide, fast surface highway(s) slightly slower. It signals to the drivers to floor it!

Not prioritizing anything other than driving.

MARK SMITH August 16, 2019 at 10:12 am

She is neither a white male no an old white lady, so she has no chance winning a city wide election for mayor.

Chris I August 16, 2019 at 2:26 pm

I wasn’t aware that Hardesty was white.

PS August 16, 2019 at 2:37 pm

I wasn’t aware Hardesty was our Mayor.

Susan Kubota August 16, 2019 at 3:46 pm

Laura, Thank god you weren’t injured. Everyone is not so lucky. While I understand your life has been disrupted and you probably just want to move on but this was hit and run and should be reported to the police. Without the formal complaint, it didn’t happen and underreported events allow complacency and promote the status quo.

Jeffrey Ryerson August 16, 2019 at 9:53 pm

I go through this intersection on my bike commute several times a week. My take is that the Portland streets can’t handle the traffic load. I believe this causes people in cars to turn into BFA ‘s in a BFH. Bike lanes and bike designated streets are crashed at high speed by BFA’s in a BFH trying to get around the choke points in the city. Really- we can’t blame the drivers. This city’s grid can’t handle the traffic. Get an E-bike and become part of the solution. I get FREE VIP PARKING, zero gas costs, I get to work feeling refreshed and ready- not ready for combat. 1600 miles commuting on the bike so far this year…just sayin’

Kristent August 19, 2019 at 10:42 am

Disappointing that she didn’t report it. I’m glad she wasn’t hurt, but she has major property damage (mangled bike) that should be counted as a data point in the system at the very least.

Also, will her boss do more to keep this sort of thing (right hook) from happening in the city?

Alan 1.0 August 19, 2019 at 1:25 pm

Neither Iannarone nor Wheeler nor any other city official can or will do anything about something which does not appear in official records. That’s reasonable to my way of thinking. To me, that reflects doubly badly on Krouse for being unwilling to spend the small effort of filing a report, both for her own interests and – allegedly – those of her “boss.”