Job Title *
Lead Bicycle Mechanic
The Common Wheel
Job Description *
Location: The Common Wheel Bicycle Shop, 324 N Queen St, Lancaster PA 17603
Start Date: Immediately
The Common Wheel needs YOU.
The Common Wheel (TCW) is a community bicycle shop located in the heart of Lancaster City and dedicated to a customer base that uses bicycles for transportation.
We are seeking a full-time expert bicycle mechanic to join our energetic, hard-working culture. The ideal candidate will be equally at home press fitting a bottom bracket or installing a basket and bell on an around town cruiser.
Lancaster is a progressive city and our new shop is located on the quirky and eclectic 300 block of North Queen Street in proximity to restaurants, art galleries, and barber shops that serve beer. Our service area is surrounded by a bar that encourages community members to hang out and talk shop while we work on bikes and entertain dreams for a life lived on two wheels.
As Lead Mechanic, you will be the smile that greets customers who come through our door. You bleed passion for bikes and believe that cycling is an expression of self and an opportunity for all.
Lead Mechanic Responsibilities:
– Lead all bicycle builds and service
– Provide willing and friendly sales and service to customers
– Educate customers about the mission of The Common Wheel
– Train and supervise service technicians and youth apprentices
– Monitor and maintain inventory of service parts and supplies
– Provide input on shop inventory and merchandise selection
– Share your authority on local bicycle routes and culture
– Two years of bicycle shop service experience
– Passion for the use of bicycles as tools for transportation
– A mind that is inclusive, adaptable, and open to change and new ideas
– A heart that is enthusiastic about people from all walks of life
– A soul that embraces the power of bikes to transform lives and communities
– Ability to lift 50 lbs.
– Must be available day, evening, and weekend hours
Icing on the Cake:
– Over two years service experience with management responsibilities
– Experience with nonprofit programming
– Retail sales experience
– Commuting and bikepacking experience
– Competitive full-time salary
– Paid time off
– Health insurance
– Employee discount
– Opportunities to learn and grow and have your own unique impact on our organization, our cause, and our community
How The Common Wheel Gives:
Founded in 2014, The Common Wheel is a nonprofit organization that uses education, advocacy, and equipment sales and service to promote the bicycle as a primary mode of transportation in Lancaster.
In addition to our bicycle shop on North Queen Street, we run a community center on East King Street with multiple programs that use the power of bikes to transform lives. Every transaction at the Queen Street shop directly supports TCW programming in the community. For each new bike purchased, The Common Wheel moves another community member toward the transportation independence of bicycle ownership.
The Common Wheel operates under the following guidelines:
– We’re for getting as many people riding as possible
– We’re for making a positive impact on our community and culture
– We’re for building a kick-ass urban bike community in our special little city
– We’re for the bike-curious and seasoned veterans alike
– We’re for helping people realize their dreams on two wheels
– We’re for providing training and job opportunities to underserved youth in our city
– We’re for building awesome bikes, providing impeccable (and friendly) service, and selling great products that improve people’s experiences
– We’re for facilitating all of those small, magical moments that bikes can create
How to Apply *
Individuals with diverse abilities and experiences are encouraged to apply. Please email a resume and cover letter to Ted Houser, Director of Operations, firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have questions or feedback about this site or my work, feel free to contact me at @jonathan_maus on Twitter, via email at email@example.com, or phone/text at 503-706-8804. Also, if you read and appreciate this site, please become a supporter.