Support BikePortland - Journalism that Matters

10 photos to get you excited for tonight’s Pedalpalooza Kickoff Ride

Posted by on June 4th, 2015 at 9:29 am

Pedalpalooza 2014 Kickoff Parade-45

Yeah! Gimme five!
(Photos J Maus/BikePortland)

Pedalpalooza is here! Today marks the start of Portland’s beloved annual bike festival with hundreds of events lined up over the next three weeks.

Tonight at 6:00 is the official Kickoff Ride, so I figured I’d go through my photo archive and pull out some of my favorites from the past 10 years. I love the Kickoff Ride because everyone is in such a hopeful, optimistic, and and excited mood. There’s a contagious buzz about all the fun stuff the month will bring and the ride has a way of restoring my faith in humanity, in bicycles, and our city all at the same time.

I hope you enjoy these photos as much as I do…

Pedalpalooza '06 Kickoff Parade

2012
Pedalpalooza 2014 Kickoff Parade-37

2014
Pedalpalooza 2014 Kickoff Parade-35

2014
Pedalpalooza 2014 Kickoff Parade-8

This year’s ride starts starts at Salmon Street Fountain. Get out there and help make this the biggest and funnest Pedalpalooza ever!

Check the full Pedalpalooza ride calendar here.

NOTE: Thanks for sharing and reading our comments. To ensure this is a welcoming and productive space, all comments are manually approved by staff. BikePortland is an inclusive company with no tolerance for meanness, discrimination or harassment. Comments with expressions of racism, sexism, homophobia, or xenophobia will be deleted and authors will be banned.

16 thoughts on “10 photos to get you excited for tonight’s Pedalpalooza Kickoff Ride”

1. kiel johnson kiel johnson says:

everyone in those pictures is smiling. sums up pedalpalooza. can’t wait to get started!

2. Where does it end up?

Is it easier to be at the front or back of the pack? The middle scares me a bit

1. Avatar 9watts says:

We’re not a very scary bunch. I don’t think it would matter much either way. The slower folks are likely to end up toward the rear.

3. Avatar 9watts says:

Woohoo!

4. Avatar Adron Hall says:

Winning! Wooohooo!

\m/ \m/

5. Avatar K'Tesh says:

I think once this term is over, I’ll be:
    1) able to participate
    2) think about posting a ride.

6. Avatar Eric Iverson says:

There should be some Grillbikes there tonight, so bring grillables for the end spot. (Under Hawthorne bridge at 9:30 PM. Also, Grilled by BIke Sunday June 7th 3 PM Laurelhurst park…Just sayin

7. Avatar Joe says:

stoked…

8. Avatar Adam H. says:

Can’t wait!

9. Avatar Aaron says:

I’ll be there!

10. Avatar Lester Burnham says:

Can I “shred” on this ride?

11. Avatar Electric Mayhem says:

A plug here for my event aptly named Electric Mayhem. E-bikes, electric lights and the curious – Saturday 10 am at NE 33rd and Marine Drive

12. Avatar Todd Boulanger says:

Photos are proof that it never rains on Pedal Palooza!

13. Avatar Dwaine Dibbly says:

Be safe out there, folks! And have a blast and a half!

14. Avatar Captain Karma says:

Does anybody have photos, now that kickoff is in the can?

1. Avatar 9watts says:

It was a most enjoyable ride, and one of the larger kickoff rides I’ve participated in. Great energy and enthusiasm. Thanks everyone for making it so fun. Ted Buehler’s tiny house pulled by three people was a highlight for me.