BikePortland on the radio: Listen to the latest spots

Posted by on June 28th, 2010 at 3:23 pm

As I mentioned back in March, I’ve got a great partnership going with the folks over at 94.7 FM ‘Alternative Portland’. Thanks to sponsorships from Better World Club (the original bicycle roadside assistance people!) and Bike n Hike, messages about biking are being heard on the radio throughout the day.

For those of you that haven’t heard them yet, I’ve uploaded the latest spots for your listening enjoyment. Each one is 60 seconds total, split between the sponors’ ad and my bike-related message.

[Recorded, June 9th, 2010]
    Once a week is all we ask
    [audio:947spot_summeronceaweek.mp3|titles=BikePortland/94.7]

When riding, pass nicely
    [audio:947spot_passingsafely.mp3|titles=BikePortland/94.7]

Bike boulevards coming to your neighborhood
    [audio:947spot_bikeblvds.mp3|titles=BikePortland/94.7]

[Recorded May 4th, 2010]
    People on bikes have a right to the lane
    [audio:947spot_sharelanelaws.mp3|titles=BikePortland/94.7]

I’m really excited about this partnership because it’s a chance to reach a new audience in a new place (inside cars). I write the spots myself and the guys at 94.7 FM give me free reign on content (within reason of course), so I’d love to hear your feedback and chime in if you have ideas for future spots.

Please support BikePortland.

Lance P. June 28, 2010 at 3:40 pm

It is weird to hear this kind of add. Since I never drive it is interesting to hear things from this side of the box. I’m glad there is at least one positive message out there. I get upset when all I hear is dj’s asking for people to run cyclist down. Thanks for doing this. I’m sure it helps us all move around.

Scott Mizée June 28, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Thanks Jonathan. sounds good and well done. I’d love to hear this on more stations.

April June 28, 2010 at 6:53 pm

I often have the radio on at home, and often it’s on KNRK…it’s sorta surreal to hear the voice of someone you know on the radio! Plus, it’s nice to know that people in cars are hearing this stuff.

Jim Labbe June 28, 2010 at 8:28 pm

Great work Jonathan. I would love to hear more of these… or know they are being heard. The catchy background music is a tad kitchy but heck that may be just help get people’s attention.

Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) June 28, 2010 at 8:33 pm

Jim,

Glad you like them. As to whether or not they’re being heard… They are! I’ve had many friends and neighbors stop me in the street and say they’ve heard them on the radio.

John Lascurettes June 28, 2010 at 8:41 pm

A question about the passing PSA. Is it law to give an audible when passing another bike? The law as I’ve read it in the past says you are required to do so when passing a pedestrian.

Don’t get me wrong, I do it every time I pass someone (before I start passing them) whether they’re on foot or bike or other. I just didn’t think it was required by law.

I just searched through ORS and cannot find any requirement about bicycles giving other bicycles audibles when passing. All references to audibles on this page are either for emergency vehicles or for cyclists passing pedestrians: http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/814.html

Still, it is proper decorum and courtesy to give an audible to a fellow bike rider!

About the only time I don’t do it is when I’m going up a big road like Williams, the other person is in a bike lane and I go way out past the center of the nearest vehicle lane to pass. In other words, more room than a car gives them.

Peter Smith June 29, 2010 at 1:49 am

i dig the spots!

i’d be curious to hear a female voice, too, and am curious how a female vs. male voice is received.

Velophile in Exile June 29, 2010 at 9:42 am

[6] John, FWIW, I have interpreted ORS 814.410 to mean that a bicyclist must give a signal when passing another bicyclist on a sidewalk. You have probably read Subsection (1)(b), which requires bicyclists to signal pedestrians when riding on a sidewalk, but note that Subsection (2) states that “a bicyclist on a sidewalk or in a crosswalk has the same rights and duties as a pedestrian on a sidewalk.” So, if the bicyclist has the same rights, then he has the right to be given a signal.

I’m not sure if that is correct, but that is my reading of it. This has been especially relevant to me when riding across the Hawthorne Bridge, because part of that is a sidewalk.

I don’t think there is a general requirement that a bicyclist signal another bicylist when passing on the road. As long as you maintain a safe distance when passing, there should be no need for a signal, IMHO.

John Lascurettes June 29, 2010 at 10:38 am

Thanks Velophile. That’s sort of the only way I could interpret it being law for signaling to cyclists too: if a both cyclists are on the sidewalk they are acting as “pedestrians” and therefore an audible is required.

I still see no legal requirement for a signal on a street or bike lane; however, decorum and manners say you should. 🙂

craig June 30, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Jonathan, hoping you’ll reply WRT your legal reference for audibly signaling when passing someone on a bike. I too only find reference to audible signal required when passing a pedestrian when riding on a sidewalk or crosswalk.