Support BikePortland - Journalism that Matters

Headed to DC for the National Bike Summit

Posted by on March 9th, 2009 at 11:28 am

Our day on Capitol Hill-33.jpg

A self-portrait while walking
the halls on Capitol Hill last year.

Tonight (at midnight, love those red-eyes) I’ll get on my Bike Friday Tikit and ride to the airport for my annual pilgrimage to Washington D.C. for the National Bike Summit. This will be my fourth year in a row attending the event and I’m looking forward to it with all the enthusiasm, excitement and nerves of a first-timer.

This year — with a new administration in the Oval Office, a strong Democratic majority on Capitol Hill, and a new transportation bill in the making — there’s more at stake for the national bike movement than ever before.

The League’s main focus for the summit is “building bicycling into the transportation bill”. But in addition to that, there are two other bills with major biking implications that are expected to be introduced this week; a new climate change bill, and a complete streets bill. (I’ll have more about both of those in a separate post).

Story continues below

In addition to lobbying for and learning about national issues, the summit is also an opportunity for advocates to meet face-to-face with their congressional representatives. Last week, part of the Oregon delegation met for a strategy meeting to coordinate efforts and make the most of their time in D.C..

nationalSummit08_ride-28.jpg

The Capitol Building.
(Photo © J. Maus)

The four days I spend at the Summit are the hardest 3-4 days of my entire year. In 2007 and 2008, I published 42 stories from the event. Between capturing images, talking with people, and filing stories, there is never a dull moment. It is an all-out effort and I am in a constant state of work.

Ever since my first trip in 2006, I have been very proud to have the trip funded completely or in part by contributions from readers. This year, I am very grateful for Planet Bike stepping up to sponsor our coverage (for the second year in a row), but your support is still needed.

If you value this important coverage of national issues (and how those issues impact Portland and Oregon), please consider a contribution. Even though we have more advertisers these days, I still consider myself an employee of the people. We need your help to sustain and improve the work we do.

Our PayPal button is on the top of the sidebar to your right. Thanks for your support and stay tuned for coverage and photos from the National Bike Summit.

(Thanks to managing editor Elly Blue and our great contributors, we will still have coverage of local stories while I’m in D.C. Also, if you’re on Twitter, you can follow my updates here.).

NOTE: Thanks for sharing and reading our comments. To ensure this is a welcoming and productive space, all comments are manually approved by staff. BikePortland is an inclusive company with no tolerance for meanness, discrimination or harassment. Comments with expressions of racism, sexism, homophobia, or xenophobia will be deleted and authors will be banned.

13 thoughts on “Headed to DC for the National Bike Summit”

1. Avatar the future says:

godspeed jonathan

2. Avatar Lance P. says:

I have a question regarding planes and your Bike Friday. Does this bike come with a case so that you can check in similar to other luggage? If not, how do you get though the airport?

3. Avatar Lance P. says:

ps – keep up the good work.

4. Avatar frank says:

Thank god there are democrats in those offices.

I have heard President Obama talk non stop about bicycles since he has………oh wait…….he never mentioned them one time.

Well at least Claire McCaskill his unofficial spokeswoman in the senate is a …………..oh wait……..she said, “I cant go back to rural missouri and tell them that I was funded bicycle trails, they would look at me like I had three eyes.”

Uh….Can someone tell me some reason why I should expect more from the Democrats than we have received in the last administration?

5. Avatar joe says:

this is not meant to be a response to the previous comment (not that it offers any clarification) – it just reminded me and i wanted to share!

obama

good luck, mr. maus!

6. Avatar Todd Boulanger says:

Jonathan – have a safe trip…and do not forget to visit the new Bikestation under construction at Union Station (DC).

7. Avatar Bill says:

Nice Planet Bike! Love your Superflash. Have a good trip and bring us back some more of that stimulus money 🙂

–Bill

8. Avatar JayS. says:

Frank, Have you been writing your letters? Open there eyes, It’s the best chance we have.

Jonathan, Thanks so much for your coverage I look forward to it every day and I always enjoy the bike summit coverage.

9. Avatar Joe says:

Thank You!

10. Avatar redhippie says:

I like the picture.

A little bit of Jimmy Stewart in Mr. Smith goes to Washington.

So Idealistic!

11. Avatar patrickz says:

Our man by the Potomac: Mr. Maus. Thank you Jonathan. Have a sunny trip.

12. Can’t wait! We are so lucky to have you there to capture this phenomenal event for Oregon. See you tomorrow…