With well over 1000 riders, yesterday’s Worst Day of the Year Ride kicked of the season in grand style. I’ve never seen such a diverse group of cyclists on one ride. People from all walks of bike showed up, eager to pedal around town in the company of friends and long overdue sunshine.
Eleni and I met all sorts of friendly folks, including:
- Severt, with his granddaughter in tow.
- Signe and her friend Kristy in some special valentine panti-shorts and white furry vest!
- My first “I Share the Road” sticker spotting (request yours here).
- Aaron Tarfman sporting a monkey hat and a “Boycott Traffic” billboard.
- The CCC’s Tom Knipe was the emcee.
- Fairy wings look to be the must-have accessory of the season.
- Anita from KATU and her faithful companion were all smiles.
- Nikkie from the CCC’s BikeArt program handled bike decoration duties.
And I’d like to introduce you to Kate Kahl and Emily Baker. These seventh graders from Portland Waldorf School tackled the ride on unicycles. But this was just a warm-up…their goal is to unicycle across Oregon! Good luck Kate and Emily and keep me posted on your progress.
We had a great ride and I can’t think of a better way to start the ’06 bike season. Unfortunately we didn’t make it down to the Lucky Lab for the after party. I heard it was a mob scene. Anyone care to share how the party went?
[Check out my Worst Day of the Year Ride photo album]