Dogs and bikes: A ‘Puppy-Palooza’ inspired photo gallery

Posted by on June 20th, 2014 at 10:37 am

Sunday-Parkways-SE-2012-24
In Portland, dogs seem to like bikes as much as humans do.
(Photos by J. Maus/BikePortland)

What is it about dogs and bikes? Is there a reason that what some people consider America’s best city for biking is also ranked as the best city for dogs?

In honor of Monday’s ‘Puppy-Palooza’ ride, I decided to delve into the vast corners of the BikePortland photo archive and create this gallery. (And just before hitting “publish” I learned today is also Take Your Dog to Work Day, so there’s that.)

As for the ride itself, organizers Paul, Kirk and Erinne tell me that it’s open to everyone — whether you show up with a dog or not. Stuffed animal dogs and other dog paraphernalia are encouraged as a substitute for the real thing. I also hear there will be lots of prizes for the pups and their owners (for the latest updates, check out the ride’s Facebook page).

And I now present to you, a photo gallery of dogs and bikes…

(As you look at these, take note that most of them are from Sunday Parkways events, which tells me that maybe we need to adjust our bike planning goals not just to make sure we’re serving the “8-80″ age demographic but that we create conditions wherein people feel comfortable taking their beloved dog along with them.)

A guy and his dog
Sunday Parkways North Portland 2012-39
Sunday Parkways North 2011-23-22
Sunday Parkways North 2011-60-59
Sunday Parkways Northeast 2011-51-60
Sunday Parkways North 2011-8-7

Sunday Parkways Southeast-63
Sunday Parkways Southeast-51
Ha! Just making sure you’re still paying attention. (Hi Scott!)
Sunday Parkways Southeast-50
East Portland Sunday Parkways-32
Sunday Parkways North Portland-6
East Portland Sunday Parkways-27
Sunday Parkways Southeast-8
Sunday Parkways 09 -101
Oregon Manifest Field Test-95
2013 Multnomah County Bike Fair-33
This is “Rando” the pug stylin’ in Paul Z’s custom Pugeot sidecar. Learn more about this awesome rig via Velo Cult.
People on Bikes - Williams Ave-15

— If you like bike-related photos, check out some of the other 35,339 images in our archives.

Comments
  • Amy June 20, 2014 at 10:49 am

#16 is Rando the pug in his person’s custom sidecar; you can find them both sometimes at Velo Cult. Beautiful bicycle, and super-nice dog and human!

• Greg Raisman June 20, 2014 at 10:51 am

I’m still reeling from it. Dot died last weekend. But, she will be there in spirit!

• Kirk June 20, 2014 at 11:59 am

I’m very sorry Greg :( … Hugs to you.

• jn June 22, 2014 at 3:39 am

RIP, Dot.

• Glenn June 20, 2014 at 10:57 am

I want more about the side car in #15.

• Paul Zavitkovski June 20, 2014 at 11:25 am

Thanks for the write-up and recommendation for the Dogs on Bikes Ride! Awesome!

• Jane June 20, 2014 at 11:32 am

I love bikes but only like dogs, and don’t get the whole bringing your dog everywhere thing. I like seeing dogs everywhere but I feel like it would be a hassle if it were mine.

• F.W. de Klerk June 20, 2014 at 11:57 am

It’s worn thin on me too. Add to that I’m surrounded by neighbors with dogs that bark at everything. Suffering from dog burn-out.

• jn June 22, 2014 at 3:42 am

Well, for one thing, dogs are family members, so they go where the family goes if possible. Also, dogs need to be walked or given attention every day. If you’re going to be outside all day biking, you can do both things at once. Some dogs have separation anxiety. Others need to be socialized so they are taken to new situations to expose them. Others get taken everywhere because they are terminally ill and their people are trying to make the most of the time they have left. Some of these dogs are service animals.

• Kirk June 20, 2014 at 11:58 am

I love the look on #15′s face. :) … Thank you Jonathan for snapping so many cute pictures of dogs + bikes in the past, what a great way to get people excited for Monday’s ride. It’s gonna be a good one!

• Ted Buehler June 20, 2014 at 1:53 pm

#16, I believe the name of the vehicle is a Pugfeits.