Great tweets from the 2013 World Naked Bike Ride (NSFW)

Posted by on June 9th, 2013 at 11:36 am

Something new this year: we’re using Storify, an embeddable social media aggregator, to round up some of our favorite social media chatter about Saturday’s naked ride — including a few from other WNBRS around the world.

Check below the fold for a selection of tweets, videos and photos from the event.

Comments
  • Nakedrunner June 10, 2013 at 10:34 am

Naked Spartan was my costume, just a Spartan helmet and a smile, lol. Such a fun ride , thanks to all the folks who put this on, to all the particiapants and everyone coming out to support and enjoy a great event.

• Jonathan Gordon June 10, 2013 at 11:19 am

If I was on the fence about Mikael ‏@copenhagenize before, I’m not now:

Ineffective advocacy? Lost opportunity for mainstream marketing/normalisation of cycling? Peacocking?

I’m glad my world doesn’t conform to his world view.

• Carl June 10, 2013 at 11:05 pm

He might be right about most naked bike rides — rides that really flog the oil-dependence / bike-superiority message.

Portland’s, by nature of being fun-oriented, has managed to be more mainstream and inclusive. As a result, it ends up almost saying more about body-positivity than bicycling. Bicycles are just tools (like vacuums, Mikael) that many people use here (and this ride dupes the rest into pulling them out of the garage to join the fun).

If Danish culture was ever as hostile towards bicycles and the human body as our culture is today, I might be more inclined to care what Colville-Andersen thinks. The reality, though, is that Danes don’t know how to get out of the hole we’re in ’cause they’ve never been as far down it (and I’m not saying they were never in the auto-dominant hole. I’m just saying it wasn’t anywhere near as deep).

• Adam June 10, 2013 at 5:12 pm

I disagree with Mikael too, respectfully. I’ve never ridden the WNBR because of boring-ass “advocacy”, and I think you’d be hard-pressed to find many people who do.

People do the WNBR for ONE reason and ONE reason only: HAPPYHAPPYJOYJOY!

• Jonathan Gordon June 10, 2013 at 10:00 pm

I share your enthusiasm and I imagine you’re mostly being playful. I also think that it’s important to remember that while it’s true that the vast majority of people who ride do end up experiencing “HAPPYHAPPYJOYJOY” there are nearly as many reasons as to *why* people ride as there are participants. And it’s also true that for a substantial number of people, these reasons are only tangentially if at all related to happiness or joy.

• 9watts June 10, 2013 at 10:27 pm

I think I’m missing something. Did the tweets and links go poof?

“Check below the fold…”

checking….

nope. nothing there.

• Michael Andersen (News Editor) June 11, 2013 at 10:27 am

Seems to work for most of us, 9watts. Is javascript turned off? Maybe try another browser?

• 9watts June 11, 2013 at 10:18 pm

You were correct-thanks.
        Computers are nothing like bicycles–so much to go wrong and you don’t even know it.

• Anne Hawley June 11, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Copenhagenize’s assumption that there’s something political about the WNBR kind of makes me go “Huh?” I think I’ve paid about enough attention to him now.