Meet Bill Chin; Pedalpalooza’s iron man

Posted by on June 29th, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Bill Chin on the pizza ride-2
Bill Chin during a stop on the Epic Pizza Ride.
(Photos © J. Maus/BikePortland)

For 52-year-old IT project manager Bill Chin, June is his biggest biking month of the year. Bill, a native Portlander who lives in John’s Landing, has ridden well over 400 miles since the month began. Interestingly, he’s done most of those miles pedaling to and from Pedalpalooza rides.

I bumped into him a few nights ago at the Epic Pizza Ride, his 19th ride of this year’s nearly month-long Pedalpalooza fest.

“I’m not a daily commuter, so this gets me out on my bike,” Bill shared as he scrolled through the list of rides he’s done. He’s got notes from several years of Pedalpaloozas on his phone (“Hey, I’m an IT guy, what can I say?”). He figures he’s taken part in almost every Pedalpalooza since it began as BikeSummer 10 years ago.

His favorites so far this year include the various naked rides, the Rocky Butte Sunset Ride, the downtown tour with famous drag queen Darcelle, and of course, the Pizza Ride.

Bike play by Working Theatre Collective-2
Bill riding to a scene of the Invasion of the Bicycle Snatchers play.

Bill, who goes by “Buddha Bill” when he’s volunteering with the Bike Temple, says there’s a lot of things he loves about Pedalpalooza. “I love meeting all these new people and learning my way around Portland, finding neat places to go to… and I really have so much love for all the ride leaders!”

Bill’s on pace to break his record for total number of Pedalpalooza rides. He did 21 rides in 2010 and I saw him last night at the Invasion of the Bicycle Snatchers play. That makes 20 so far this year and I’m sure he’ll be out there again tonight.

Have fun Bill. Keep on riding and smiling.

Comments
  • Daniel R. Miller June 29, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Yay Buddha Bill! Among other things, the heart of many a Parkways intersection with Bike Temple, tirelessly ringing his Tibetan bowl-bell and wishing peace on all the riders passing by!

• Paul Smith June 29, 2012 at 10:47 pm

That was Bill? I remember being in a huge funk while riding a Sunday Parkways (yes, it’s possible :) and coming across him. It felt like, ah, it’s all ok, it will get better. Magic moment. Thanks Bill!

• Sunny June 29, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Can’t miss Bill with the Monkeylectric lights on his wheels. His family has been here in Portland for decades, possibly back to the fifties or earlier — a true Portlander.

• Ted Buehler June 30, 2012 at 12:30 am

Like!

• Bill Chin June 30, 2012 at 3:25 am

I’ve set a new Personal Record: 22 Pedalpalooza rides for a total of 492 miles! All are weekend and evening rides since I work days. All miles are from my house to the ride and back home after – I didn’t drive to any ride! I’m out of town Saturday but that’s the last day for Pedalpalooza rides and MCBF. Everyone should check the Shift calendar at http://shifttobikes.org/cal/ for more Portland bikey fun throughout the summer! Keep on biking! Peace!

Bill Chin — 2012 Pedalpalooza Rides
    17. Sunday Parkways North Portland
    18. Salty’s Ride
    19. Epic Pizza Ride
    20. Working Theater Collective’s “Invasion of the Bicycle Snatchers” Ride
    21. Rooftop Ride
    22. Team Prince Ride + Team Bowie & After Party
    End: June 30 – 2212 mi odo. 492 mi total!

• Gasper Johnson July 2, 2012 at 7:57 pm