Salem Watch: ‘Crosswalk Safety Bill’ up for hearing, possible vote

Posted by on March 28th, 2011 at 10:11 am

Crosswalks in action-3

SB 424, the ‘Crosswalk Safety Bill’ that’s intended to improve the safety of people attempting to cross the street, will get a public hearing and possible vote in the Senate Judiciary Committee tomorrow (3/29) at 8:30 AM.

We shared some background on this bill last month. In short, it “Clarifies that pedestrian is crossing roadway when any part or extension of pedestrian’s body moves onto roadway with intent to proceed.”

Below are some bullet points being shared by local walking advocates:

• It can help reduce confusion among drivers about whether or not a pedestrian is intending to cross the street and allow them more time to stop safely.
  • It gives pedestrians a tool to clearly and safely communicate to drivers their intent to cross without needing to step or roll out into a busy roadway. They may safely remain on the edge of the sidewalk.
  • It provides a good education tool, among other lessons, for teaching our children and adults how to safely cross the street without going out into the road.

Learn more about the bill here.

Comments
  • Bob_M March 28, 2011 at 10:33 am

I applaud efforts to make walking safer. Cyclists and other vulnerable road users (motorcycles) need to be very aware of vehicles behind them when doing the right thing in stopping for pedestrians. A couple of weeks ago, when I stopped for some peds on my motorcycle the driver behind me woke up frome his daydreaming just in time to engage a four wheel lock-up emergency braking.

• pat March 28, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Yeah, I have the same problem of nearly being rear ended on my moto when I stop for peds.

• pat March 28, 2011 at 1:47 pm

I am suspect of changing an obscure law on paper will improve “safety”. First, there is the problem of whether the law of cause it intended effect. Second, there is the issue of whether this effect will truly improve safety. e.g., http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/288/17/2136.full

• craig March 30, 2011 at 12:30 pm

I LOUDLY agree.

It provides a good education tool.

I read the full text and I don’t see anything about educating the public.

The public are widely ignorant of current as it stands–drives largely do NOT know that in Oregon every corner is a crosswalk, let alone how a pedestrian may engage their right to stop traffic and proceed to cross.

Unless there is a huge marketing campaign about these two statues (unmarked crosswalk, and signaling intent to cross), safety will NOT be enhanced.

We need:

- broader application of crosswalk enforcement actions, with a high citation issue rate (vs. merely issuing warnings)

- a blitz of a marketing campaing about these two statutes: on TV, busses, billboards, and press releases

- big public demonstrations with press coverage (are you reading this, WPC? BTA?)

• craig March 30, 2011 at 12:31 pm

my typing (above) is a minefield of errors

• brian March 29, 2011 at 11:08 am

look both ways, then cross the street.