Our coverage of the 2011 NAHBS is supported by United Bicycle Institute.

NAHBS sneak peek: Calfee's carbon bamboo tall bike

Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on February 25th, 2011 at 6:16 am

The North American Handmade Bicycle Show (NAHBS) doesn't officially open for another hour or so, but I walked around the show floor for a few minutes last night as exhibitors hurriedly put together their booths. One bike that caught my eye was a tall bike in the Calfee booth. A Calfee tall bike is reason enough to stop and stare, but this thing is made out carbon and has bamboo hemp-fiber lugs. Check it out...

Austin Day 1-25

That has got to be the world's most expensive kickstand! I'll get some specs and more detailed shots today. Stay tuned for more NAHBS coverage through the weekend.

— Many thanks to United Bicycle Institute for their support of our NAHBS coverage.

Possibly related posts

Quixote Cycles - for errands to errantry - 971-285-6286
Comments
  • k. February 25, 2011 at 9:01 am

A sure sign cycling has officially eaten itself.

• Gabriel Nagmay February 25, 2011 at 11:17 am

I am in love.

• middle of the road guy February 25, 2011 at 12:01 pm

How many sharks can that thing jump?

• jim February 25, 2011 at 1:26 pm

I was going to recomend a "carbon free" bike to help save us from global warming, then I looked out the window...

• jim February 25, 2011 at 1:44 pm

or you can go with metal lugs and a bamboo frame

• kww February 25, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Bamboo lugs? Probably backed up with carbon. That thing must come with a polo mallet....

• Jerry_W February 25, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Calfee loves to play with design ideas, I'm so glad he brings them out for all to see and enjoy.

• Skid February 25, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Vulture Cycles made a much nicer one out of steel and displayed it at the Oregon Handmade Bike Show 2 years ago.

• Doc February 25, 2011 at 7:20 pm

funny, that design is pretty much the same as my tallbike. only real difference is mine's steel