Advertise on BikePortland

New book by local professor delves into philosophy, ethical issues of cycling

Posted by on October 28th, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Cover

Linfield College professor and local racer Jesús Ilundáin-Agurruza is the co-editor of a new book that explores the philosophy of cycling.

The book, Cycling—Philosophy for Everyone: A Philosophical Tour de Force (Wiley-Blackwell, August 2010), is a collection of essays that its publisher says is “meant to stretch the off-road mental muscles of cyclists.”

“The book wheels its way through the terrain of life’s more complicated philosophical questions with essayists covering everyone from Lance Armstrong to Socrates, and discussing cycling’s identity crisis, ethical issues related to success, women bikers, critical mass rides and the environment.”

Jesús Ilundáin-Agurruza when he’s
not teaching or writing.

Essays in the book include thoughts on bicycling’s role in living a simpler life, a first-person perspective on commuting year-round in Iceland, and other deep thoughts from two-wheeled philosophers. Throughout the book, Ilundáin-Agurruza, “muses about how a bicycle, basically a ‘triangle on two circles, as Pythagoras might conceive it,’ might help us live flourishing lives.”

Ilundáin-Agurruza teaches philosophy at Linfield College’s McMinnville campus (they also have a Portland campus). He also competes locally as a category 2 road racer. Michael Austin, a philosophy professor from Eastern Kentucky University, co-edited the book.

You can preview the book and get more details at Powells.com.

NOTE: At BikePortland, we love your comments. We love them so much that we devote many hours every week to read them and make sure they are productive, inclusive, and supportive (heck, sometimes we even fix your typos!). That doesn't mean you can't disagree with someone. It means you must do it with tact and respect. This is our business and we do not tolerate mean commenters who add nothing of value to the discussion.

Unfortunately, we are not robots and we don't always catch everything. You can help by notifying us if you see inappropriate comments. Thanks! — Jonathan and Michael

Comments
  • Arem October 28, 2010 at 12:39 pm

As a former Linfield graduate…it’s great to see something like this.

• noah October 28, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Oh, envy! This is the book I hoped to write some day. (This, and Schott’s Miscellany, which is better than I ever could have done.)

• Velophile in Exile October 28, 2010 at 2:38 pm

So you’re a “former graduate,” huh? Got some real good learning down there in Mac, I see. ;)

As a former Linfield professor … it’s great to see something like this. I’m looking forward to reading it.

• aaronf October 29, 2010 at 2:12 am

As the former Linfield Chief of Staff I am excited about the Pythagoras part.

• Arem October 29, 2010 at 10:37 am

Please excuse my typographical error earlier. Thank you for pointing it out in comment form. As for myself, it has been a very long week. I had meant to type “undergraduate,” but for some odd reason my fingers refused to type out the “under-” portion of the word. I ask for forgiveness, Professor. Please do not grant poor marks for this adult that was grateful for the opportunity to attend a lovely liberal arts college.

Good day.

• Velophile in Exile October 29, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Just kidding, man. For my part, I’ve had many mistakes here on bp. I hope to see you and Jesus sometime out on the inspirational country roads of Yamhill County!

• malka October 30, 2010 at 8:17 am

I think cycling brings out the philosopher in all of us. I’m excited to see someone put these ideas into a book. For me, cycling is very much a spiritual practice, as well. Perhaps a spiritual treatise on cycling isn’t too far behind.