Portland Police on lookout for double hit-and-run suspect - UPDATED

Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on September 21st, 2010 at 10:22 am

This just in from the Portland Police Bureau (apologies for the brevity but I just landed in Las Vegas at Interbike. I'll update the story when I can):

PORTLAND POLICE INVESTIGATE TWO BIKE RIDERS STRUCK BY THE SAME VEHICLE

At approximately 8:00 a.m. this morning, September 21, 2010, Portland Police responded to an accident involving a bike rider who was struck by a vehicle in the area of northeast 1st Avenue and northeast Multnomah Street. The vehicle was described as a silver Subaru WRX.  The vehicle did not have a rear plate and may have a temporary sticker in the back window.  Witnesses said there was also a green sticker in the back window similar to a "Monster" drink type sticker.

The male bike rider suffered minor injuries in the accident and the Subaru fled the scene.  There was vehicle damage to the Subaru from the collision with the male bike rider.  The Subaru is missing the right front head light, which was left at the scene.

Portland Police Traffic officers are investigating the possibility this was an intentional hit and run of the male bike rider.  Shortly after this accident, witnesses said this vehicle attempted to leave the area and hit another bike rider in the area of northeast 1st Avenue underneath the Interstate-5 Freeway overpass.  The second victim is a female bike rider who was transported to an area hospital.

The Portland Police Traffic Division is asking for the public's help in identifying and locating the driver of this vehicle.  The driver was described as a dark complected male, 18 to 20 years of age.  Anyone seeing this vehicle is asked to call 911 and anyone with additional information about these accidents or vehicle is asked to call the Traffic Division at 503 823-2103.

More information to follow as this investigation continues.

UPDATE, 11:27 a.m.:

The location of the first collision involving the Subaru and bike rider has been corrected to northeast Martin Luther King Boulevard and northeast Lloyd Boulevard. After this first collision, the vehicle fled the scene northbound on northeast 1st Avenue and westbound on northeast Multnomah Street which is not a through street. The Subaru turned around, and upon exiting the area struck the second female bike rider at northeast 1st Avenue and northeast Multnomah Street.

The male bike rider had minor injuries and has been identified as 47 year-old John Lieber. The female victim bike rider is still being treated at an area hospital for more serious, but non-life threatening injuries. She is expected to be released today and her name is not available at this time.

After further investigation, Traffic Officers learned the vehicle light left at the scene was a 5" diameter front "fog" type light, and not a head light as first reported. The Portland Police Traffic Division Officers continue to work on this investigation.

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • PDXbiker September 21, 2010 at 10:33 am

This guy is nothing more than a murderer on wheels, intentionally mowing down cyclists for whatever twisted reason. With enough publicity, hopefully this vehicle will be found before someone else is injured or killed.

• Jeff TB September 21, 2010 at 10:50 am

Or, he may be a scared kid who is only now realizing what he did. Glad (lucky)no one was killed. Hope he turns himself in. And I hope the DA shows some guts.

• spare_wheel September 21, 2010 at 10:54 am

i wonder if this guy was influenced by Dan Christensen's death threats?

• middle of the road guy September 21, 2010 at 10:57 am

@3.....

you know who else made death threats?

Hitler.

Do you think that an 18-20 year old male with an apparent dislike of cyclists is going to be reading a blog by a bus driver?

• spare_wheel September 21, 2010 at 11:08 am

@4, godwin's law.

• Charley September 21, 2010 at 11:15 am

Even if he is caught, he'll probably walk away from all charges, saying "I never saw them".

• Whyat September 21, 2010 at 11:22 am

@spare_wheel- I'll bet you a million dollars that NO, he was not influenced by Dan Christensen.

• Nick V September 21, 2010 at 11:30 am

Not to be dramatic, but he has no license plate and these incidents happened during the morning commute/rush hour? I would guess it's intentional. I hope they find the kid and the two victims heal up quickly.

• Uncle Muscles September 21, 2010 at 11:32 am

I'm just hoping the first one was an accident and the second one came due to panicked driving by a 17 yr. old in a car much too fast for him. Wannabe rally legends out hunting cyclists would make for a much more depressing day.

• Justin September 21, 2010 at 11:43 am

I believe the Oregonian article described it as a "new Subaru" so the lack of plates might mean it was fresh off the lot.

• Joe September 21, 2010 at 11:48 am

#10 Or Waiting for Custom plates, someone has to spot this car with a broken light.

• spare_wheel September 21, 2010 at 11:48 am

@Whyat, even if you are right threats violence by public figures are not helpful. there are clearly people who have a lot of anger towards cyclists (see oregonian comment section).

• spare_wheel September 21, 2010 at 11:56 am

sounds like this was at the very least a road rage incident:

"It had what sounded like a jet engine muffler, revving its engine," says Lieber. "He was right on my tail and I was trying to go left, signaling with my arm. He was really mad at me." Very quickly, the car decided to cut around Lieber on the right, but as it roared past, it clipped the front of his cargo bike, sending Lieber toppling into the road."

• trail abuser September 21, 2010 at 12:02 pm

• Mike on Alberta September 21, 2010 at 12:07 pm

It looks like the people at the Oregonian are finding the cyclists at fault.

Are these a few trolls or are they representative of the readership there?

• Roma September 21, 2010 at 12:11 pm

@5 - Ha! Beat me to it.

All you have to do is read the comments on any bike related story in the Oregonian to know that sooner or later, some whack job is going to intentionally hit a cyclist. Scary.

• Anton September 21, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Can't the police coordinate with DMV to find the silver Subaru WRX awaiting new plates that did this? How many can there be?

• Sean Casey September 21, 2010 at 12:50 pm

If the victims (or others who witnessed the incidents) got a good look at the perp, I could make a forensic composite illustration (if that would help). Email: 2007.casey (at) gmail (dot) com.

I wish a speedy recovery to both.

• kemblepdx September 21, 2010 at 12:51 pm

The DMV lookup is not going to happen the traffic division of PDX Police are useless. I saw a guy swearve and almost hit a car while drinking a beer I called it in and they said if they dont catch him on the road there's nothing they can do even tho I gave them his license plate number apparently license plates are on our cars for no reason cause the cops don't use them for identification!

• 151 September 21, 2010 at 12:55 pm

This will be another case of plea bargaining for a slap on the wrist. With few witnesses and no way to prove that the owner of the vehicle was the person driving the vehicle at the time of the two hit-and-runs, they'll get off with probation and maybe some community service. That's assuming the person is ever found. Just watch and see if I'm not right.

• Jim O'Horo September 21, 2010 at 12:56 pm

This is downright scary, though from the O’s story it sounds more like the 2nd collision was the result of trying to get away, not deliberate assault. Still ….

• Spiffy September 21, 2010 at 1:10 pm

yeah, I read the UPDATE on another site...

it does seem that they panicked once they realized that they hit a cyclist and were doing a bad job of the run portion of the offense...

I hate to say it, but typical enraged driver... I've been there... but I never hit anybody during the rage...

• Andrew September 21, 2010 at 1:10 pm

To echo a couple comments above, this really ought to take nothing more than a ten-minute DMV database search and a couple of home visits to find the one with the missing fog light.

Who wants to bet this guy knew what he did then remembered the Ski Bowl owner's story and decided to just flee so he'd have a good chance of getting off without losing his license?

• bh September 21, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Lots of security cameras in that area, aren't there?

• tonyt September 21, 2010 at 1:16 pm

@spare_wheel #5,

Whoosh! Did that mess up your hair when it went right over your head?

• Joe Rowe September 21, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Even if they catch the driver, he will most likely see few consequences.

Look at these 2 recent cases of drivers getting off easy.

I don't suggest we fill up our prisons. I'm suggesting we use GPS tracking technology to keep them from driving again. Take away their free time with lots of community service. Give them fines that fit their disposable income, take away their luxuries.

• jim September 21, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Did anybody check to see if there are any stolen siler suburu's?

• chelsea September 21, 2010 at 1:41 pm

What a waste of space. I hope he never drives again. Best wishes to the victims.

• nuovorecord September 21, 2010 at 2:18 pm

@26...that's my thought. Wentworth Subaru is just down the street. Maybe the Subaru was stolen. The whole incident sounds straight out of "Grand Theft Auto."

Hope everyone recovers quickly!!! I don't think this is a "bike hate crime." I think it's just an idiot kid being an idiot. Hope they catch him ASAP!

• Did I miss it? Again? September 21, 2010 at 2:25 pm

#14-
    If I made a comment of that color about a cyclist riding a type of bike, I'd be labeled a troll.
    Please don't be one or a total douche yourself.

• freeman September 21, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Q. - how does a biker 'hit and run'?
    A. - with a gun.

bullets take random lives when fired recklessly...cars in the hands of the reckless have the same results...

when will we start 'hitting' back?

B.A.C.K. - Bikers Against Car Kind.

(not a call for violence, just a reasoned response..."Modest Proposal" stylee....LOL)

• HooKooEKoo September 21, 2010 at 2:46 pm

I ride through Multnomah and 1st twice daily,year-round. So, does anyone happen to know how are perpetrators typically treated when they are involved in a hit-and-run of another car or pedestrian? For a city with bike-friendliness national fame, cyclists seem to be treated as 3rd class citizens. Blame the victim. And the yellow journalism of the local papers only makes matters worse by whipping up anti-cycling anger. Gee, maybe all the hefty revenues from car ads does make a difference.

• BURR September 21, 2010 at 3:03 pm

actually I'm thinking this might turn out more like this guy's story:

• Crazy September 21, 2010 at 3:08 pm

I've cycled regularly for decades. I made up my mind early on that if I were ever knocked down by a car and able to get up, I would pummel the driver to a pulp, and plead temporary insanity from having been knocked on my head. I will fight back. Drivers, beware.

• Crazy September 21, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Oh, and one more thing.
    I ride very defensively and as far away from cars as I possibly can.
    That means, to the far right in a bike lane.
    That's defensive riding and self-preservation, which has worked for 35 years. When I see cyclists straddling the bike lane line, that just riles motorists whose car lane is now needlessly encroached upon. Sharing the road cuts both ways, people.

• Surveil September 21, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Be on the lookout after 5:00. Just a thought. The driver was probably on his way to work, right? He leaves work at 5 or 6, drives home . . .

• Seager September 21, 2010 at 3:50 pm

I'd like to see an "assault with a deadly weapon" or "attempted murder" charge if they catch this guy. None of this "failure to yield, hit and run" slap on the wrist crap.

• Anthony September 21, 2010 at 4:19 pm

No plates, maybe it was the lot boy from the subaru dealership.

• are September 21, 2010 at 5:12 pm

re comment 35, if you are riding far to the right in a bike lane, and you have not been doored or right hooked -- or left hooked or had someone come out from a side street on the right because you were not out in the road where anyone could see you -- you have been lucky. this is not "defensive" riding, this is cowering. yes, share the road cuts two ways, but hiding out at the edge of the road cuts only one way: against the cyclist.

• q`Tzal September 21, 2010 at 5:21 pm

If intent can be proved there is no reason this driver should ever get his driver's license back for the rest of his life.
    Need a bit of that ole make an example of someone justice.

And I'm with crazy @ #34: you road ragers better kill me on the first try bcause I'll take my time retributing.

Auto drivers lack fear and it needs to be reintroduced to the driving experience.

• K'Tesh September 21, 2010 at 5:25 pm

Wonder if this is the same A$&%&*!!!! who swerved at me while I was walking in Beaverton last night.

Was walking on SW Center, when this whitish car suddenly rev'd up its engine then swerved out of the WB lane, into the EB lane, crossing into the bike lane, then sped off. I honestly thought they were going to try to leave the roadway, and try to get me on the sidewalk.

Didn't get a look at anything of value it happened so fast. Did call 9-11 and reported it.

• spare_wheel September 21, 2010 at 5:30 pm

"which has worked for 35 years"
    35 years of riding like a dangerous n00b.

• El Biciclero September 21, 2010 at 5:56 pm

Seager--

"I'd like to see an 'assault with a deadly weapon' or 'attempted murder' charge if they catch this guy. None of this 'failure to yield, hit and run' slap on the wrist crap."

First, keep in mind that it is not illegal to kill people with your car per se. It is illegal to flee the scene of an "accident" that you were involved in or caused. It is a minor violation (technically illegal) not to yield to a "rider upon a bicycle lane or path". Also remember that this was "just a scared kid", and the whole thing was "just an accident". My bet is that any resulting charges will be along the lines of exactly what you mentioned: failure to yield, and failure to perform the duties of a driver. The punishment for the former, if it sticks, is a fine of around $200. The punishment for the latter could involve jail time, but probably won't.

• Red Five September 21, 2010 at 6:09 pm

Hey Trail Abuser:

Nice generalization you idiot. Just like all cyclists are lawless morons who deserve to be hit because some choose not to follow the rules of the road.

• Red Five September 21, 2010 at 6:12 pm

Hey Jonathan, with all the censorship I see going on around here sometimes, do you plan on censoring the calls to violence? Beatings? Shooting people? Is this what Bike Portland has become? A bunch of cycling jihadists?

• q`Tzal September 21, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Red Five#45
    WOOOHAAA!!!
    CYCLIST JIHAD!!!
    Terroist fixie hipsters in Guy Fawkes masks setting fire to SUVs!!!

or perhaps simply equal justice in the legal system for cyclists killed and injured and written off as the price of traffic.

• BURR September 21, 2010 at 9:17 pm

#45. motorists talk sh/t about running down cyclists all the time in places like the Oregonian comments, and yet when it happens in real life we're supposed to be all polite and contrite about it? I call BS on that.

• One Less :( September 21, 2010 at 9:44 pm

How about we discuss riding the wrong way down the street by people who should know better while we are at it.

Messengers, racers, and all the people in spandex I see riding the wrong way on one ways cause you think you can beat the traffic. DUMB!

Johnathan, I emailed you guys today. I think the picture on the top of the web page, in the banner, is a disgrace to your web site and the cycling community! Two, what looks like fixie style bikes, riding on the wrong side of the street, over the double yellow, at an angle that looks as if they have just crossed over center, against traffic (that is clearly going the opposite direction behind them), and CLEARLY breaking the law. So, I wonder how many others have noticed this banner photo and when you might take it down? Encouraging this, by showing the picture in my opinion, is bad for the community at large.

• trail abuser September 21, 2010 at 9:55 pm

One Less:(

[insult deleted]

That picture is of cyclists following directions for the Broadway bridge construction to ride on the south side path. If you would have read the post regarding the reopening of the Broadway bridge, you would have known this.

• trail abuser September 21, 2010 at 10:23 pm

Is there a clarification of what year WRX was involved? They changed the fronts from year to year and would help in ID'ing the car. Also, the 2008+ WRX's only came in wagon form, IIRC. The 2003 "bugeye" and earlier WRX's had the stock 5" fog lights, which would match the description of the assailant.

• Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) September 21, 2010 at 10:33 pm

One Less:(

thanks for letting me know how you feel about the banner image. I read your email as well. That photo is of people on bikes navigating our streets.. it happened and I thought it made an interesting photo. I'm not here to offer a sanitized or squeaky clean version of bicycling... i'm here to document what is going on.

I disagree with you that showing an image of something is = to encouraging it. We are all adults and we know right from wrong.

all that being said, I take feedback seriously and I do not want to send the wrong message so i will mull over your feedback a bit more and consider changing the photo.

thanks.

• Mike September 21, 2010 at 10:50 pm

These guys will help you find this dick quick. They know all the WRX drivers in the local area.

• wsbob September 21, 2010 at 11:39 pm

Mike....that was a great idea. At that website, the topic has quite a bit of activity already...25 posts. The tone of discussion is decent as well. They seem to be interested in being on the lookout for this car.

• zilfondel September 22, 2010 at 12:33 am

#46 q'tzal: don't joke about anti-car terrorism unless you want the fbi monitoring bikeportland. Read about the ELF terrorism story for some background about our 'liberal' state.

seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003719703_ecosentence24m.html

• Mike Fish September 22, 2010 at 7:18 am

@35

I sometimes ride close to the traffic side of the bike lane to prevent dooring. Safety first.

I hope the cyclists have a speedy recovery and the perp gets caught, though that seems extremely unlikely.

• spare_wheel September 22, 2010 at 7:42 am

zilfondel, the elf has not threatened or harmed a single human being. the us military on the other hand...

• middle of the road guy September 22, 2010 at 9:11 am

spare,

it's the military's job to harm people. Why the comparison when it's obviously not comparable?

You know who else harmed people?

Hitler.

Hope you get it this time.

• El Biciclero September 22, 2010 at 10:06 am

"[D]on't joke about anti-car terrorism unless you want the fbi monitoring bikeportland."

My bet is...they already are...Hi, FBI guys!

• Spiffy September 22, 2010 at 10:13 am

good to see that most of the people there are being civil about it and want to catch the driver...

Subaru was my big obsession before bicycles took over at the beginning of the year... so I'm included in the two most loved and hated groups in the NW, cyclists and Subaru drivers...

• Racer X September 22, 2010 at 10:19 am

For the Banner Photo - this looks to be along the Eastside tram line...perhaps the bicyclists are turning left into a driveway? (Its hard to tell from the crop.)

[Or the bicyclists were going to pull a u-turn to run down a driver?! not!]

• Kt September 22, 2010 at 10:32 am

Spiffy, I got you one beat: cyclist, Subaru driver, and rallyist! :) Except, I actually do know how to drive like a rally driver-- and I know better than to do it on the streets. Silly Subaru owners, everyone knows where rallies take place, and it ain't in downtown Portland!

Seriously, though-- It sounds to me like the male cyclist signaled his turn. What's not clear is if he looked to make sure it was clear before moving to the left lane for his turn. All that aside, the Subaru driver was clearly in the wrong, and unless his car runs as badly as my brother's there was no need to rev the engine. That's intimidation, right there, and the only person with road rage in this incident was the Subaru driver who couldn't wait 1.5 seconds for the way to be clear.

As for the woman who got hit: All she was doing was riding legally.

I really hope they catch this guy, and put the smack-down on him... and I really hope the two cyclists heal up fully and quickly.

• spare_wheel September 22, 2010 at 10:54 am

@57
    was your point that you like making tiresome hitler references/analogies. because, if so, i got it...zzzzzz.

• q`Tzal September 22, 2010 at 2:25 pm

spare_wheel #62
    I think the point of pulling a Godwin's Law is to get the last word.

As for zilfondel's #54 comment

As I tell my tin-foil hat acquaintances, you are all ready in the machine. The only way to keep your communications off the grid is be completely off the grid: no electronic communication of any kind including telephone.
    Also Big Brother opens your mail.
    Don't use credit cards.
    Don't use banks.
    Stay away from anywhere with cameras.
    Remember: everyone is out to get you.

We have a right to free speech and a separate right to privacy. Free speech in public is not subject to any privacy nor should it be: it is in the interest of the public to know who the vocal nuts are. The internet is public and so are ALL of these comments. If I had any intent to carry out any criminal activities I would not be announcing it to the public at large.
    My freedom of speech also allows me respond to someone's ridiculous statements in an equally or, as I prefer, with overblown sarcastic ridiculousity.
    If Big Brother sees this and checks up on me they'll find the 18 month background check they did when I got my big military security clearance.
    Your fear of exercising your rights does nothing to enhance the security of this nation.

• Esther September 22, 2010 at 2:52 pm

"Ricer" in comment #14? Really?

Not cool. The last thing we need is to inflame the "bikers are white/drivers are poeple of color who drive them over" binary especially given that the perpetrator is only described as "dark complected" in the news. Geesh, people.

• Lady Fuchsia September 22, 2010 at 5:56 pm

Crazy #35,

Exactly who is "sharing" what and with whom, when you are restricting yourself to a part of the pavement that no one wants to use except for storing their broken glass and leaf litter?

Are you the guy who passes me on the right in the bike lane on Williams?

• BURR September 22, 2010 at 6:33 pm

I get passed on the right in the bike lane by idiots on eastbound lower Hawthorne too.

• middle of the road guy September 22, 2010 at 7:18 pm

SPOTTED:

Silver Subara Impreza with no plates.

6:20pm at Ramsey and Lombard (Kelly Point Industrial).

I did not get a chance to see the front end, but I can't imagine there are that many Silver Imprezas without tags around.

• middle of the road guy September 22, 2010 at 7:19 pm

Spare, simply pointing out that you make absurd associations.

• trail abuser September 23, 2010 at 12:54 am

#64 Esther

I thought 'ricer' was a play on 'racer'. I'm just not personally sensitive to slurs(just don't care), and am not white or black. I was a car nut prior to bicycles and 'ricer' was used all the time amongst car guys -- whom don't really care about race issues, just machinery. It's akin to black people using the 'N' word amongst each other -- granted I was mostly in a group of foreign car owners of all colors.

• trail abuser September 23, 2010 at 1:03 am

#67 middle of the road guy

Did the WRX look like this? http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k33/istargazer/TGIF/amarpauld.jpg

• Kt September 23, 2010 at 12:38 pm

#64, it's worse than that-- the term "ricer" is usually used when talking about some kid, usually male, definitely hopped up on testosterone and an overly inflated sense of their own driving skills, in a Japanese-made automobile, mostly Hondas or Acuras, that has a large loud muffler, probably has been lowered, with a loud stereo system.

It's only recently that the label has been applied to Subarus, although with the prevalence of racer-wannabes in Subarus, the label appears to fit...

The 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX has the "bug eye" headlights and a more rounded style to the fenders. Comes in sedan or wagon body styles. Does anyone know which body style the perp was driving? That would help narrow the search.

• Bob_M September 23, 2010 at 1:03 pm

FWIW The term "ricer" has its origins in the motorcycle community where Harley riders (and to a lesser extent owners of european motorcycles) would call Japanese, high revving multi cylinder motorcycles "rice grinders". The term was used disparagingly.

• BURR September 23, 2010 at 1:12 pm

FWIW I thought the Harley crowd called the Japanese bikes 'rice burners', and not 'rice grinders'.

:-)

• Kt September 23, 2010 at 3:35 pm

KGW has an update, and they say that the car is a sedan.

No idea of the year; the NASIOC folks are guessing 2002 based on the size of the fog light left behind.

Oh, and this story is linked there, just fyi y'all. Hatin's going both ways, it appears, on both blogs.

• trail abuser September 23, 2010 at 8:06 pm

middle of the road guy: which direction was he going?

hi nasioc!

"In my experience BikePortland.com attracts a lot of douchebags, I wouldn't worry much about what they say. There's a few rational folks over there, but reading through the comments suggests they are in the minority."

• trail abuser September 23, 2010 at 10:27 pm

Was on my stakeout today over at ramsey and lombard for a couple hours. Found one silver WRX in a back parking lot of one of the industrial buildings. Had 2 foglights, no Monster Energy stickers, had plates and a white dude. Could have already bought another light, removed stickers, gotten plates, and bleached skin a la Michael Jackson.

• trail abuser September 23, 2010 at 10:46 pm

Tomorrow I will be out of town so who wants to setup my wildlife camera that takes a picture when motion is detected. Don't worry, I didn't steal mine from that PSU grad student doing field work. This road is heavily trafficked(sic) so I'm guessing there'll be thousands of pics when the camera is checked, and hopefully one of them will be a silver Subaru Impretzal WRX. I blame Ken Block for inspiring children to commit such atrocities. Like this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ48NQjouoE
    And this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExcspzAO07U&feature=related

• Kt September 24, 2010 at 9:08 am

I wonder if the investigators have contacted Wentworth Subaru, which is just down the road from the first incident?

• Crazy September 24, 2010 at 10:50 am

#39: call it what you will ("cowering" or "hiding out"), but that only miscontrues what I'm doing and probably serves to justify arrogant disregard for others on the road. I'm all for the spirit of sharing space on the road. The east-bound Willamette Blvd bike lane has neither car doors, side streets or road debris to worry about, so it's easy to ride well within the bike lane, yet cyclists often ride on the painted stripe, sometimes two abreast, with no consideration for other road users (why is it the worst offenders wear $300 outfits?). Car drivers are forced to cross the yellow center line to get around them. This forces on-coming cars over into the opposite bike lane, where I also ride. Greely Avenue is another example of where it makes great sense to ride the far right side of the bike lane, as 4 lanes of traffic (many trucks) zoom by well over the posted 45 mph speed limit. My style is very simple: distance from cars, courteous, considerate, respectful and friendly with all road users, assertive when necessary, visible, alert, and expect the unexpected at any moment. Peace out, dude, and enjoy your ride today.

• middle of the road guy September 24, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Trail,

it looked like that. Did not have the huge tail that some of them have. A buddy of mine has a blue wrx, so I'm pretty sure of how the rear end looks.

It was heading South on the stretch of road where Marine turns into Lombard. So basically, it was heading into St Johns (E on Lombard).

I should note that the license plate had something blue in it (not a tag, though. no numbers)

• middle of the road guy September 24, 2010 at 3:03 pm

And come to think of it, I did not see any other decals (monster drink or whathaveyou).....sounds like a false alarm on my part. Sorry.

• Hillsboro September 25, 2010 at 11:06 am

Trail abuser
    "The Subaru WRX forums should know about this. NASIOC.com. Let's see who'll be ordering a new headlight. WRX/STI drivers are total douches too. My cousin is one of them. What a ricer."

@ trail abuser
    It seems you are pretty narrow minded to impugn an entire community for the actions of one person. I don't assume all cyclists are morons because they "abuse trails" that are meant for jogging. I also don't think that all cyclists are self-important [deleted] who think they own the road because they aren't burning fossil fuels. Who appointed you judge?

• trail abuser September 25, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Few Ferrari owners are A-holes -- at least not the ones I know of -- but that doesn't stop the general public from having a negative perception of them, regardless if the driver is a true enthusiast of Ferrari racing history or engine and body design. Having been part of the Subaru Impreza Sti/WRX car "culture" for a very long time -- in both sanctioned on and off road racing -- I've seen quite of bit of the shenanigans such high horsepower cars can elicit out of young men.

• hillsboro September 26, 2010 at 12:35 pm

What does any of that have to do with what you originally stated. I don't know anyone who has any opinion on Ferrari drivers. So now if your into cars in anyway you are..... What are you saying with this statement? Some people are bad drivers some aren't? Is this a back pedal from your original statement of
    "WRX/STI drivers are total douches too. My cousin is one of them. What a ricer." That comment is very specific to my community. Who cares if you used to be around Subaru's. That's like saying some of my best friends are..... Well bully for you. It seems most people on here are level headed and you are the minority.