Metro’s Bike There! Map Launch is Today

Posted by on May 13th, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Bike There! 8th edition launches today

Today is the official launch celebration of the new edition of Bike There!, Metro’s regional map publication. This very useful resource was last published in 2007 and the new 8th edition includes broader regional coverage along with edits necessitated by our constantly evolving infrastructure.

You can purchase your copy at this afternoon’s festivities for $9.00 and pick up a free light, water bottle or reflective leg strap courtesy of Metro. There will be other bike oriented activities as well including tune-ups from Bike Gallery. Read all the event details and head over to Metro Regional Center today between 4:00pm-6:00pm.

Metro Regional Center
600 NE Grand Ave.
Portland, OR USA 97232

If you can not attend the event but still want to purchase a Bike There! map, you can find it at lots of local bike and book retailers or online from Powells.com.

Comments
  • Peter Smith May 13, 2010 at 1:58 pm

i’m hoping we can get a look at the guide itself online.

• wsbob May 13, 2010 at 4:25 pm

$9.00 is quite a bit of cash for me to spend on a bike map, but based on the ’07 version of the ‘Bike There!’ map, the new version may be good value for the money.

Something I appreciate about the ’07 map is that it names all the streets on the map instead of just certain key streets as some other area bike maps have done. This allows it to be better used for location finding as well as simple route finding.

• resopmok May 14, 2010 at 12:19 am

My 2007 copy has held up quite well over the past few years even after living full time in my bag. It has saved my rear countless times when I thought I might’ve been lost in places all over the city. The only thing which might be better is google maps on your iphone, but since I’m not made of money like everyone else, I go with the old fashioned method. Assuming it’s of the same quality as the 2007 map, $9 is a bargain.

• Spiffy May 14, 2010 at 11:05 am

I was there! although only for the 2nd half… it was a pretty cool small event… between the 5 of us that biked there we got maps, lights, water bottles, stickers, reflective leg strap, bike tune up, and cookies… and some much needed biking…

got home late but the experience and scenery on the ride were totally worth it…

• jim May 15, 2010 at 11:36 am

If it’s Metro they should be available for free online