Kids traffic safety curriculum goes open source

Posted by on March 25th, 2010 at 10:02 am

Detail from worksheet on traffic
hazards from K-3 curriculum.

The Bicycle Transportation Alliance, with a grant from the Oregon Safe Routes to School program, has developed a curriculum to teach traffic safety to young people. Called Neighborhood Navigators, the curriculum is available for kindergarten through eighth grade and is available free via download from the BTA’s website.

Here’s more about the curriculum from the BTA:

Pro Walk-Pro Bike in Seattle-4.jpg
Lynne Mutrie designed
the curriculum.

“This curriculum focuses on efficient and healthy transportation choices, pedestrian safety, and community and neighborhood design… teaches younger students safe pedestrian behavior and reinforces the benefits of walking and biking. Older students learn how transportation decisions affect personal, environmental, health, and community design. The curriculum includes age-appropriate knowledge and skill practice for each grade.”

Neighborhood Navigators was created and developed by Lynne Mutrie, the BTA’s former statewide Safe Routes to School coordinator and current owner of Mutrie Consulting.

Go over to the BTA’s website to download the curriculum.

Comments
  • craig March 25, 2010 at 10:15 am

you mean “download”, not “downtown”, right?

• Nick V March 25, 2010 at 10:27 am

I think that these school programs are some of the BTA’s big strengths. Teach ‘em early!

• JAT in Seattle March 25, 2010 at 11:01 am

I looked at the 6-8th gr curriculum (as my kid is a 7th grader) and was surprised to see no mention that use of bicycle facilities is mandatory where they are provided,…

and entire page in the student workbook devoted to a picture of that crucial transportation mode- the Goodyear blimp,…

and my favorite: that the invention of the boat was Noah’s Ark.

• Spiffy March 25, 2010 at 11:45 am

“and my favorite: that the invention of the boat was Noah’s Ark.”

I like how the milking machine is hooked to the farmer…

• aaron March 25, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Given the theme of the curriculum, and the focus of transportation throughout history, the blimp has a place. They probably could have been a little more accurate and used a photo of a flaming Hindenburg, but this is a class for your 7th grader.

I guess what I am asking is… why do you even bother with such a useless and negative comment? Volunteering at the BTA or for Safe Routes would be a more effective use of your time for both you and your 7th grader. Of course, that would involve more than just complaining to anyone that reads.

Okay, good day.

• Red Five March 25, 2010 at 5:33 pm

why is that damn dog not on a leash?

• [...] such as this to remind motorists like me!), it was encouraging to read the recent story entitled Kids traffic safety curriculum goes open source.  According to this post by BikePortland.org,  ”The Bicycle Transportation Alliance, with [...]

• JAT in Seattle March 26, 2010 at 3:35 pm

aaron,
    As a former member of the Cascade Bicycle Club’s Education Foundation management committee,… I would like to good naturedly point out that my 7th grader knows the difference between a blimp and a zeppelin.

• Lisa G. March 28, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Red Five: I imagine the dog is not on a leash because it represents a “traffic hazard” as the caption denotes. A leashed dog would, hopefully, not be a hazard as the other end of the leash would be attached to a responsible dog owner.

Also, Jonathan, why are we looking at a car ad here? I don’t see a bike rack on top of it. I am disappointed. I’d thought that here I would be spared such imagery.

• Red Five March 29, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Lisa: Ah I see your point! My Bad!