National bike promo campaign video has Portland roots

Posted by on March 15th, 2010 at 10:50 am

At last week’s National Bike Summit, national non-profit Bikes Belong launched their “People for Bikes” campaign to galvanize the nation around support of bicycling. The video they used to illustrate their approach, and the one they showed during the campaign’s launch at the Summit, was produced by North, a Portland-based creative brand agency.

The video, “If I ride,” was shot in and around Portland (if you’re a local, you’ll notice many familiar faces). Austin Ramsland, co-owner of Sweetpea Bicycles, former North employee and current board member of the Bicycle Transportation Alliance helped recruit talent for the film. It was conceived and produced by Jim Carey, Dana Bruington, Mark Ray, and Steve Rauner.

Comments
  • Gregg Woodlawn March 15, 2010 at 11:08 am

Wow. I’ve got goosebumps. I love this video. I’m going to get on my bike RIGHT NOW.

• Rebecca March 15, 2010 at 11:16 am

While our beloved Austin sure helped nurture the client relationship and recruit the cycling talent, the film was conceived and produced by Jim Carey CD/Writer, Dana Bruington AD/VoiceOver, Mark Ray ECD and Steve Rauner Executive Producer. Thanks!

• naomi March 15, 2010 at 11:28 am

that video is mighty cheesy :/ I don’t care for it at all.

• Lance P. March 15, 2010 at 1:15 pm

This is great. Sorry Debby Downer, I mean naomi :)

• Paul Souders March 15, 2010 at 1:26 pm

The video is great. I love the visuals and music, the tone generally. “Poem to biking” — awesome concept.

But the copy is dreadful. I agree with every word — hell I live it — and it still feels smug and self-righteous.

• trail user March 15, 2010 at 1:41 pm

“I ride because I don’t like paying for gas”
    “I ride because I’m cheap”
    Honesty doesn’t sound as sexy.

Smug? Start an attack campaign demonizing automobile drivers for dead American soldiers in the Middle East. Cyclists love America. Drivers are responsible for 9/11. Let’s Carl Rove it up a little. Be a winner.

• Wake Gregg March 15, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Great shot of cargo-carry commercial trikes! Go B-Line! http://b-linepdx.com/

Keep on trucking!

Wake

• John Beaston March 15, 2010 at 5:22 pm

I found the video very similar in tone and thoughts to this one:

Both great!

-John

• N.I.K. March 15, 2010 at 8:00 pm

“I ride because I don’t like paying for gas”
    “I ride because I’m cheap”
    Honesty doesn’t sound as sexy.

So what? Nobody likes paying for gas. And you’re going to be hard-pressed to find a creative agency using the word ‘cheap’ in an advocacy campaign. The thing is what it is.

• trail user March 15, 2010 at 10:39 pm

“I ride because my toilet overflowed. Sammy Adams has Ms. Appropriated run off in to wales.”

• jim March 16, 2010 at 12:00 am

I liked it untill it brought up global warming, then it reaked like al gore