Snow on the way: A slideshow to keep you riding

Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on December 12th, 2008 at 9:23 am

A snowy commute-2.jpg
Bring it on!
- Slideshow below -
(Photos © J. Maus)

There's snow in the forecast around Portland this weekend; but that doesn't mean you've got to leave the bike at home.

The last snow day I can recall was back in March, and from people I've talked to, they remember that day with fondness. Now, I realize snow is a big headache for some folks and that it causes PDOT all sorts of maintenance issues, etc..., but for those Portlanders who go by bike, it also brings something to be cherished -- quiet streets with very few (and slow-moving) cars.

A snowy bike commute definitely presents some challenges, but with the type of minor snowfall we tend to get, it's no reason to leave the wheels at home. On that note, I've put together a little slideshow of past snowstorms to keep you inspired...

Snow: Mother Nature's traffic calming.

More snowy biking photos in the BikePortland Photo Gallery.

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • G.A.R. December 12, 2008 at 9:48 am

Be safe out there. A driver doesn't know how little traction there is until it is too little.

• chuck December 12, 2008 at 9:49 am

*crosses his fingers for snow*

I'm an east coast boy, so I miss the hell out of the snow. hopefully there'll be snow on sunday, and we'll have ourselves a good ol' fashioned snowbomb!

• A-dub December 12, 2008 at 9:51 am

Great pics. After seeing them I am actually digging the idea of taking a ride in the snow. I've gone on plenty of snowy runs and they are great, the quiet, the tranquility!

• toddistic December 12, 2008 at 10:18 am

Glad I'm returning home from a business trip tonight, I definately do not want to miss this!

• Zaphod December 12, 2008 at 10:18 am

I love biking in the snow. When it's packed down traction becomes quite predictable and reliable with all but the most minimalist tread pattern.

If the snow gets thick enough, I might break out the skate skis.

... awesome

• Cruizer December 12, 2008 at 10:35 am

Jonathan,
    This slide show had the desired effect on me. It makes cycling in the snow look doable and fun. I'm looking forward to pedaling in it!

• Jordan December 12, 2008 at 10:35 am

the slip...the slide...the snow offers the best time to ride!

• Tony Pereira December 12, 2008 at 10:40 am

oh c'mon...it's not really going to snow...um, is it?

• Kt December 12, 2008 at 11:10 am

Depending on where you are, there could be snow-- or there could be a lot of snow. :)

I don't really have the proper tires for snow-biking, so I'll be either telecommuting, or putting my mad driving skillz to the test-- I can handle the slippery, it's the other drivers I detest! :) I could wish the other drivers would learn how to drive! :)

• a.O December 12, 2008 at 11:20 am

Gotta get my studded tires out... Who want to ride up to Council Crest?

• Angela December 12, 2008 at 11:23 am

My 10 year old has a slumber party across town to go to Saturday. We both can't wait to make the trip by bike in the snow! Good times. :)

• maritimus December 12, 2008 at 11:33 am

a.O,
    I'll meet you up there. I live up that way and may take the mountain bike out just for kicks. I'll be the guy on the mountain bike grinning like an idiot, or the one who fell down the hill. Either way I'll still be grinning like an idiot.

• K'Tesh December 12, 2008 at 11:55 am

Slide show? Was the pun intended or not?

• mmann December 12, 2008 at 11:57 am

Sunday night on Peacock Lane is shaping up to be a beautiful experience. I'm going over Tabor to get there!

• benn December 12, 2008 at 12:23 pm

thanks for the great photos...riding alongside the 'holiday express' down at oaks park this sunday could be a delightful experience

• Anonymous December 12, 2008 at 12:35 pm

Woo-hoo! I love the snow biking! Bust out the mtn bike so I have disc brakes and better traction and bring it on!

• Andrew H December 12, 2008 at 3:42 pm

video from a storm in January '07:

Cruising along Humphrey Blvd near Sylvan.
    Snow rides are a blast!

• eileen December 12, 2008 at 4:00 pm

Snow is one thing, but sheets of ice is another. What some east coasters don't realize is that since our temps hover in the 30's when it snows, it can get very icy to the point that even walking is difficult. The last time in 2004, it was fun to see the shock and horror of our friends who had just moved here from Colorado and thought that snow couldn't phase them. I would recommend stocking your pantry this weekend because you never know...

• tr December 12, 2008 at 4:11 pm

Should add an element of fun and adventure for the MMR tonight!

• E December 12, 2008 at 4:11 pm

oh snow riding is so cool... no traffic, the delightful crunch under my mountain bike tires... that would be awesome. No ice please!
    :D

• jim December 12, 2008 at 11:50 pm

Don't know what those cyclists in eugene are going to do? how are they going to see the leaves under all the snow?

• Birkie December 13, 2008 at 12:44 pm

Come participate by bike, ski, sled or whatever in a new Portland tradition.

Pass it on!

Stumptown Birkebeiner

An urban ski parade and race in downtown Portland - if it snows.

Monday morning may be possible.

• Natty December 14, 2008 at 4:20 am

Here on the other coast of the continent (further east than Maine), ice and snow had come and gone a few times already - we're not into real winter yet.

Patience and studded tyres are all you need ... the rest is just like riding a bicycle.

On another note, fresh snow here on the weekend brings an opportunity to skate ski the streets before traffic or plows awake to ruin the fun.