Hitting the road with The Sprockettes

Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on July 17th, 2008 at 12:13 am

Mult. County Bike Fair!
From a performance
in June of 2006.
(Photos © J. Maus)

For long-time readers of this site, my fondness for The Sprockettes is well known. I've covered them for over three years now, snapping hundreds (thousands?) of photos of them in action at performances around town.

Since the first time I saw them dance, I was captivated -- not just by their grooves and moves, but by their energy, creativity, and by the way they chose to express their love of bikes.

I'm still one of their biggest fans -- especially now that my wife Juli is a member of the crew.

This summer (for the second year in a row), The Sprockettes are touring with New Belgium's Tour de Fat. Since Juli is going with them, we figured we'd make it a family road trip.

On Thursday morning, my two daughters (ages almost 3 and 5), my mom (she's visiting from California), and I will pack into the mini-van and follow their Operation: Bike Nation Tour.

tour de fat 2007-52
At the Tour de Fat last year.

Our first stop will be a street performance in Ashland (southern Oregon), and from there we'll head to Golden Gate Park in San Francisco and then over to Davis (that other Platinum bike-friendly city) and we'll finish the road trip in Truckee (check all the dates and details here).

I'm looking forward to sharing a bit of the bike scene in San Francisco and Davis. And of course, I'll be taking lots of photos of The Sprockettes doing their thing.

As for what to expect on BikePortland.org for the next 10 days or so, I'm not quite sure how it will go. I've got several stories I need to write soon and I plan to address important issues if/when they arise.

One thing's for sure, don't expect the same volume of stories while I'm away. If things are quiet here, take the time you'd usually spend reading or commenting and go for a ride, attend a meeting, or volunteer for something.

It's been a very busy few weeks and I'm overdue for a change in scenery.

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • John Russell July 17, 2008 at 1:53 am

I can not thank you enough for how much work you\'ve done, especially considering this past week with the O.

Enjoy your trip for us all and please get some sleep. Didn\'t your mother ever tell you that you have to get up in the morning?

• Matt Picio July 17, 2008 at 3:00 am

Hope you and the Sprockettes have a blast, and I look forward to more wonderful pictures - the Sprockettes rock!

• Donna July 17, 2008 at 7:15 am

Have fun, Jonathan!

• Patrickz July 17, 2008 at 7:32 am

I wish you and your family a happy time. Thanks for keeping us informed.

• chuck July 17, 2008 at 7:36 am

have fun! bring me back a t-shirt! :)

• Maculsay July 17, 2008 at 8:01 am

An anonymous Sprokette told me that when someone is shooting video of them, it would be nice if you didn\'t dive in and out of the frame snapping pictures. No, it wasn\'t Juli :)

Looking forward to your trip pictures and commentary!

• Ethan July 17, 2008 at 8:22 am

In defense of photographers . . . videographers often get in the ideal sight lines . . . and never move. That can make having even a few seconds without them in your frame an impossibility. Quid pro quo videographers of the world.

• Bill July 17, 2008 at 9:26 am

Sounds like it\'s time for Bikeportland staff....

Have fun!

--Bill

• Maculsay July 17, 2008 at 9:44 am

@Ethan - agreed... some of us even get in our own way.

• rob July 17, 2008 at 10:40 am

Try to pick up some bike policy and innovation intelligence in Davis. Though we are respected as the most bike friendly city on the planet, some believe Davis the same. Flat, sun and a university town helps!

• Blue commute July 17, 2008 at 10:46 am

I just ask for one story a day... that\'s all I ask for. That way I won\'t feel dumb while at work and still reading all the old stories and every related comment.

However, please enjoy yourself and relax. We need you around here!

• LeeMX July 17, 2008 at 10:57 am

Lucky guy....

Have a rad time!

• Carlos July 17, 2008 at 11:29 am

Welcome to the Bay Area. While attending the Car Free Portland Conference I met so many great people and had a great chance to experience the bike scene in PDX. Even had a chance to see the Sprockettes at city hall. We\'ll see you at the the TDF. Say hi to Elly, Meghan, Linda and others who were such great hosts.

• peejay July 17, 2008 at 11:58 am

If things are quiet here, take the time you’d usually spend reading or commenting and go for a ride...

I was just thinking that same thought while posting my 18th comment on the previous thread. Less talk, more bike!

Have a great time, and get lots of Agent photos!

• Refunk July 17, 2008 at 12:15 pm

Jonathan,

May you, Juli, yer girls, Mom and the Sprockettes have a safe and insane time.

This all sounds like Portland sending out an embassy to these far-flung, exotic places (showing the flag - the Sprockettes - and collecting intelligence [Rob @ #10])!

Har-har,
    Jene-Paul

• Russ July 17, 2008 at 2:07 pm

I miss the days when Sprockettes stories here would immediately start heated debates about whether they were ass waving anti-feminists. I guess that semi-entertaining war is over.

Have a fun trip, I look forward to some pics of Davis and San Fran (with and without waving asses).

• JP July 17, 2008 at 2:12 pm

#10

The planet?

I wish!

• Tasha July 17, 2008 at 4:09 pm

Oh wow, have fun! I’ve always wanted to become a Sprockette. As I grow older, I fear my energy levels are not going to allow it, but I’ll live vicariously through you and your wife while you travel with them. Enjoy it! And enjoy your much deserved break.

• n8m July 18, 2008 at 1:07 am

Love the shots you\'ve been getting lately. Great shot of homegirl spinning the wheel. Very hot. Look forward to whatever images you get on your trip. Take it easy out there and have a radical time Jonathan.

• Jonathan Maus (Editor) July 18, 2008 at 1:17 am

Thanks everyone... just uploaded my shots from today.. story will be up in a minute.

as for Maculsay...
    \"An anonymous Sprokette told me that when someone is shooting video of them, it would be nice if you didn\'t dive in and out of the frame snapping pictures.\"

thanks. I am aware of this. Juli has told me about it. I try to be considerate of others... sometimes I just have to be up there to get the engaging shots. If an important video was being filmed, I hope someone would tell me about it so i could be extra careful to not get in its way.

also.. if anyone wants to help me buy a nice telephoto lens I could stand further back and still get some nice shots! ;-).

• Maculsay July 18, 2008 at 10:04 am

I should have put a couple smileys on my original post... I imagine it\'s pretty cool to watch a loved one up on the stage! Telephoto... heading to the donation link again - matching donation challenge - let\'s start with $25!