2,100 miles for Pedalpalooza

Posted by on June 18th, 2008 at 3:48 pm

“You ain’t gonna get Pedalpalooza in Tulsa-frickin’-Oklahoma.”
–Tulsa resident Paul Tay, who’s currently visiting Portland

Paul Tay, from Tulsa Oklahoma, is a great example of how you can’t judge someone’s character by their style of commenting on a blog.

Some of you might recall Paul as a frequent BikePortland.org commenter that goes by the annoyingly self-promotional user name of “BikeBillboards dot blogspot dot com”. He also regularly types words in ALL CAPS (also annoying).

But one thing I’ve learned over the years is that blog comments are sometimes a horrible judge of someone’s real-life personality.

Paul traveled over 2,000 miles to participate in Pedalpalooza. After meeting him online through comments and emails, I introduced myself to him at the Naked Bike Ride and have since seen him several times at the Carfree Conference.

Earlier this week, I recorded a quick interview with him at the Depaving event in North Portland. It turns out, he’s a thoughtful guy who is dedicated to bike and transportation activism.

Watch the clip below to hear Paul’s take on the bike culture and the prospects of bringing Pedalpalooza to Oklahoma:

Comments
  • a.O June 18, 2008 at 4:03 pm

Glad to have you, Paul! And glad to hear you\’re not as annoying as you seem on Bikeportland – I\’m not either ;) I\’ll be sure to say hi if I run into you while you\’re here.

• tonyt June 18, 2008 at 4:29 pm

Wow, Paul talks in ALL CAPS too!

Welcome Paul!

• Austin Ramsland June 18, 2008 at 4:30 pm

AWESOME!

I think Paul is right – you can come to Portland, live it, bring it home with you, and then grow your own.

(Did he say \”ding ass town\”? I love this guy!)

• Mike M June 18, 2008 at 4:56 pm

\”I introduced myself to him at the Naked Bike Ride\”

Now is it just me, or is this a mighty brave thing to do?

• revphil June 18, 2008 at 8:27 pm

thanks for coming. learn and share as much as you can!

• Pete June 18, 2008 at 8:31 pm

Yeah, I\’d probably reach out less quickly to shake another guy\’s hand… ;)

Great to have you Paul! Always good to associate a personality with text; I\’ve enjoyed both debating with you and learning from you on here. Have a great time here, safe ride home, and best of luck in your endeavors back there.

• joeb June 18, 2008 at 9:41 pm

Reason enough for a BikePortland social. Ok so it\’s my bad for being too chicken to show at the naked social hour.
    Welcome Paul!

• Russell June 18, 2008 at 9:55 pm

Did he travel by bike? Because that would be awesome. And yes, he sure did say \”ding ass town.\” While the guy might write and talk in CAPS, he has sure got enthusiasm.

• Ally Powell June 18, 2008 at 10:06 pm

Paul is the greatest. I was saved from THE NAKED MAN WITH NO BIKE, by that crazy Oklahomian. Smooches Paul!

• Paul Tay June 18, 2008 at 11:14 pm

Russell, 2,100 miles and two-days of Greyhound. I prefer G-hound for the great class of people: a few ex-cons, one or two meth-heads ladies, and ONE very memorable African-American transvestite wannabe. Doesn\’t get any better than that, people. Except maybe for WNBR!

I HEART PDX! Can\’t wait for the ciclovia!

• Matt Picio June 19, 2008 at 12:32 am

I met Paul on Tuesday – he and I are certainly still going to disagree on certain things, but he\’s definitely a decent guy and a pleasure to talk to in person. I\’m not sure if it\’s because everyone sounds more abrupt and less personal in email than face-to-face, or if bikey people are generally good people. All I know is that there are a number of people who I\’ve butted heads with online who are intelligent, committed folk with whom I\’d love to share a table over a beer or three.

• Paul Tay June 19, 2008 at 10:33 am

Matt, I don\’t normally drink beer on the job. However, in PDX, I\’ve thoroughly enjoyed the DIVERSITY of brews.

Props to all the micro-brewpubs out there. Beautiful work, people!

• p.e.horner June 19, 2008 at 10:36 pm

My parents and broth live in Tulsa, and I agree that, while far, far, behind in bike culture, Tulsa does have some good things happening (Tulsa Tough comes immediately to mind, which is a 3 day cycling festival including family rides and a twilight downtown crit).

Single tracking and free riding at Turkey Mountain are also fun (I don\’t think Forest Park has any free-riding structures that I know of).

• Paul Tay June 20, 2008 at 8:16 am

While PP is a grass-roots organized event, T-Tough is more corporate for the spandex set. T-Tough is really not much more than three days of Cirque de Cycling Criterium.

PP uses the wiki approach. T-Tough uses the dictator, we-know-what-the-market-wants approach.

T-Tough really has a lot of potential to be more inclusive and democratic like PP. If T-Tough met my needs for more communally organized events, I would not be in PDX for PP.

And, NO way, NO how would Tulsa cops allow 1,000 naked bikers to roll on Memorial, even at midnight.

• david June 20, 2008 at 9:56 pm