Mayor to make statement on bike funding cut

Posted by on April 25th, 2007 at 10:08 am

Word from the Mayor’s office is that he will have a statement on his decision to cut funding for the Bicycle Master Plan by the end of the week.

Stay tuned.

Comments
  • Joe April 25, 2007 at 10:16 am

I hope his staff is wisely using this time to figure out how to make the BMP fit in the budget proposal rather than developing an elaborate excuse. This is too important for Portland for an excuse.

• Donald April 25, 2007 at 10:49 am

I would bet good money that if weren’t for Jonathan’s coverage, we wouldn’t be hearing squat from the Mayor’s office in re this issue…

• Martha R April 25, 2007 at 11:13 am

I look forward to hearing how he can justify fully funding his peak oil task force (hmmm…I wonder if there’s a way to move goods and people that doesn’t require the use of fossil fuels…let’s think hard about that…is it even possible to get to work without a car or a bus???) while turning his back on the BMP update.

It galls me that the Mayor and Commissioner Adams are in a little tiff, so the Mayor decides not to provide necessary funds for bike safety as retribution. I thought he would be above it. Well, I can play politics with my vote, too.

• no one in particular April 25, 2007 at 12:13 pm

Donald: Jonathan is no doubt the largest voice in the Portland cycling community, but this story, and the call-to-arms to contact the Mayor’s office, was originally broken by the BTA, to the best of my knowledge. And it rapidly spread from there, seemingly to every bike-related forum in the city. I’m not dogging Jonathan’s excellent reporting, but I think a story this big would’ve been big regardless.

• Paul Cone April 25, 2007 at 1:07 pm

The BTA’s website says “The Mayor’s staff says they’re waiting for the flood to slow to a trickle before issuing a statement – but that they’ll get back to the community by Friday.” I say let’s keep the flood going!