Bicycle Mechanic Educator
Company / Organization
Intercity Transit (Washington)
Intercity Transit’s Walk N Roll education program improves transportation access, increases independence, and inspires a healthy lifestyle through activities that encourage Thurston County residents to walk, bike, roll and ride public transit for transportation. We are currently recruiting a Bicycle Mechanic Educator to serve as a Walk N Roll Program Representative. They will oversee the operations of the Walk N Roll educational bike shop, provide bike mechanic education and oversee the repair and maintenance of bicycles that support Walk N Roll’s bike education programs.
If you have:
• Ability to lead and educate others.
• Ability to create a welcoming community space for people of all races, ages, genders, abilities, and backgrounds.
• Basic skills in bicycle mechanics.
• Proven ability to manage competing priorities effectively and work independently.
• High level of personal accountability for the quality, safety, and impact of your work.
• Proven ability to work in a collaborative environment and complete projects within a team.
Then this position is for you!
Intercity Transit is looking for a Walk N Roll Program Representative to oversee all operations related to the Walk N Roll educational bike shop. They will be responsible for implementing bicycle mechanics education, programs, classes, and activities. We are looking for someone to expand our bike shop education programs while creating an inclusive community space. The Walk N Roll Program Representative will also serve as Intercity Transit’s Employee Transportation Coordinator overseeing the agencies Commute Trip Reduction program.
It’s an exciting time to join IT!
Build a career you enjoy, in an agency that is a nationally recognized urban transit system with diverse services and strong community support. Intercity Transit provides fixed route transit, ADA paratransit and vanpool services in Washington state’s capitol city of Olympia in addition to the neighboring communities of Lacey, Tumwater, and Yelm. This is an exciting time with great opportunities, and we invite you to join us in our mission to provide and promote transportation choices that support an accessible, sustainable, livable, healthy and prosperous community.
As a Walk N Roll Program Representative, you will:
• Oversee the day-to-day operations of the Walk N Roll educational bike shop. Responsible for creating and maintaining a safe, organized, and inclusive educational space. Monitor inventory and order bicycle parts and tools.
• Implement and maintain systems for the retrieval, storage, and repair of donated and fleet bikes. Ensure program bikes are properly repaired and in safe riding condition.
• Coordinate, promote and implement bike shop educational activities, events, and classes. Including the development of curriculum and bike mechanic and maintenance instruction and training to youth and adults.
• Handle the waste stream for unsalvageable bikes and bike parts. Including bike part salvaging, recycling and disposal.
• Oversee bike shop volunteer program including the recruitment, training, and tracking of bike shop volunteers. Provide technical oversight for bicycle repair during volunteer events.
• Coordinate, promote and implement the community bike shop program. Provide technical oversight for bicycle repair during community bike shop events.
• Support other Walk N Roll bike, pedestrian, and transit education, activities, outreach, events, and classes.
• Collaborate with other Walk N Roll staff and volunteers, Bicycle Community Challenge Representative, and marketing staff.
• Serve as Intercity Transit’s Employee Transportation Coordinator overseeing the Commute Trip Reduction Program (CTR). Facilitate committee meetings; prepare agendas, minutes, and supporting documents. Track data, create reports, attend networking sessions, and send communications to Intercity Transit employees about the CTR program.
• Support other marketing and communication activities. Provides administrative support to the WNR program.
• Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
Are you the one we are looking for?
• Associates degree or a specialized certificate training in education, bicycle mechanics, bicycle riding safety, or other related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
• Experience with leading adult and/or youth education.
• Experience with bicycle repair is desired (will provide professional and on the job training)
• Experience leading volunteer recruitment and coordination is desired.
• Ability to get a Washington State driver’s license by the date of hire and be willing to submit to a criminal background investigation, the results of which must meet the agency’s hiring criteria.
• Safe, legal, and competent bicycling skills.
• Ability to work with people of all ages, races, genders, abilities, and backgrounds.
• Willing to learn how to safely operate program van and trailer.
• Computers, basic desktop publishing, database and/or spreadsheet design; modern office procedures, methods, and equipment.
• Ability to work Tuesday-Saturday schedule with consistent evening hours.
What’s in it for you?
• Receive a competitive salary of $30.47 – $41.17 an hour in addition to annual general wage/cost of living adjustments typically received in January and step increases in July (if not at top of salary range).
• Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage for employees and eligible dependents.
• PERS Retirement Plans (through Washington State Public Employee’s Retirement System) along with voluntary deferred compensation plans (401k and 457) with employer match up to 6.2%.
• 12 to 25 vacation days per year depending upon date of eligibility and length of service.
• 12 days of sick leave per year depending upon date of eligibility.
• Up to 48 hours of floating holiday time.
How to Apply
Ready to jump on board?
We would love for you to apply! Please submit a complete electronic application online at www.intercitytransit.com/employment. Your application package must include a letter of interest and resume that clearly explains how you meet the qualifications of the position. Be advised, we will not consider incomplete applications. Intercity Transit’s preferred method of communication is via email, so an accurate and active email address is essential.
Completed applications must be received by 5:00pm on Monday, February 5, 2024.
Intercity Transit is an equal employment opportunity employer and strives to provide a culturally diverse workforce. We also take pride in being a drug free workplace. Note that Intercity Transit is subject to requirements of the Federal Drug-Free Workplace Act and CFR Part 40 & Part 655, which prohibit the use of marijuana at any time while employed by Intercity Transit.