Company / Organization
Community Cycling Center
**UPDATED/Wage increased to $15/hour + Generous Benefits**
At the Community Cycling Center, we believe that bikes make the world a better place. Our mission is to broaden access to bicycling and its benefits to help build a vibrant community where people of all backgrounds use bicycles to stay healthy and connected. We believe that all people – regardless of income or background – should be able to experience the joy, freedom, and health benefits of bicycling.
We operate a full-service bike shop on NE Alberta that serves the neighborhood, AND is a destination for people searching for used bikes & parts, or trying to ride bikes on a tight budget. The shop serves as the hub for many of our programs, which help riders build their skills and confidence; empower young people to ride to school and adults to ride to work; offer educational opportunities for teens to earn school credit; and support everyone in riding for health and recreation. We also collaborate with numerous community partners to generate pathways to employment and engagement within the growing bicycle movement by training new educators, leaders, advocates and mechanics.
The Community Cycling Center is an equal opportunity employer and strongly values diversity, equity and inclusion. Individuals with diverse backgrounds, abilities and experiences are encouraged to apply.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY
The Bicycle Mechanic is responsible for supporting the mission of the Community Cycling Center. This includes assessing, repairing, and refurbishing bicycles, assisting customers with choosing parts and accessories, as well as supporting our programs team. Under the supervision of the shop management team, the Bicycle Mechanic will work to consistently and efficiently deliver on the demands presented by our customers and programming efforts. This position will require technical proficiency, attention to detail, the ability to multitask, and to act as an ambassador for the Community Cycling Center.
• Assess and repair bicycles for customers; repair donated bicycles for retail sale and for use in our programs
• Educate customers about the operation and maintenance of bicycles; assist with the purchase of bikes, parts, and accessories
• Contribute to the retail environment–answer phones, restock shelves, and maintain a safe, clean, and organized work space
• Work cooperatively with the rest of the team to meet the goals set forth by the shop management team
• Moving and lifting bicycles up to 50 lbs. is a regular part of this job; however, reasonable accommodation can be made
• Support fundraising efforts. This is an essential part of everyone’s job
• Be a public supporter of the Community Cycling Center and represent the organization with positivity and consistency
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND CHARACTERISTICS
• Ideal candidate has 3+ years of experience working in a high volume bike shop
• Consistent attention to quality and detail
• Ability to meet quantitative production and service goals as outlined by shop management
• Effective communication
• Ability to work in a collaborative environment
• Commitment to and respect for equity, sustainability, and diversity
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS AND CHARACTERISTICS
• Proficiency in Spanish and/or American Sign Language
• Familiarity with Lightspeed POS
• Full time, non-exempt employee, 32-40 hours per week, including weekends
• $15.00 per hour to start; opportunities for advancement
• Benefits valued at over $7K/year: Health, dental and vision insurance, Paid Time Off, $200 Used Parts Allowance. Also cost +10% pricing on new parts & flexible scheduling during off-season
How to Apply
Send your resume, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) references to Jobs@CommunityCyclingCenter.org.
Please write “Bicycle Mechanic” as the subject line. No phone calls, please.