Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on January 10th, 2018 at 10:55 am
Reverend Nat’s Hard Cider
Company background: Like all great businesses, Reverend Nat’s Hard Cider was started in Nat’s garage (and basement) in late 2011. It was never supposed to be this popular, but apparently he struck a nerve with his unusual ciders. We made 65 barrels that first year in the garage, 2800 barrels in 2014 and we finished 2017 at nearly 6000.
Our public mission is to search the world for superior ingredients to handcraft the most unusual ciders that no one else will make. We are not here to churn out commodity or entry-level cider. We are pushing the bounds of cider and believe that we have no true competitors. Our internal mission is to change the perception of cider in the US by expanding the consumer’s expectation of “What is Cider” and including previously-ignored beer drinkers. These lofty goals are why we host large community-building events, why we use exclusively beer yeast, and why we appear in so many publications and books.
In the words of one local newspaper: “Reverend Nat’s Hard Cider is out to destroy everything you know about cider.” In addition to major publications like NPR, Yahoo, Bon Appetite and Men’s Health, we are regularly covered by the beer industry (Good Beer Hunting, Beer Advocate).
We recently signed a lease for a new much-larger production facility and have new equipment coming online in the first quarter of 2018. Our existing Operations Director is leaving us due to family obligations. We are sorry to see him go, but this is a great opportunity for someone new.
The Operations Director position is an integral role at Rev Nat’s, reporting directly to the President (Nat). Direct reports will include Cidermaking, Packaging and Warehouse/Inventory. In addition to the day to day managerial responsibilities, the Ops Director will also be involved in special projects across all of operations, including expansion projects and continuous improvement projects.
IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS ROLE, YOU MUST HAVE:
– 5+ years experience managing and growing a hard working staff and team development.
– Strong knowledge of and proven success implementing or growing LEAN practices in a food or beverage manufacturing environment.
– 5+ years production experience in a food or beverage manufacturing business.
– Excellent written and oral communication.
– Extensive spreadsheets proficiency and general computer proficiency to operate our ERP system.
– Working knowledge of mechanical, hydraulic, refrigeration, electrical, plumbing and building/facility systems.
– Evening and weekend availability, ability to work long hours, lift 150 lbs, stoop, kneel, crawl, twist, climb ladders, and work on slick and irregular surfaces in humidity, heat, cold and loud noises.
ESPECIALLY DESIRED CHARACTERISTICS WHICH WILL GIVE YOU AN ADVANTAGE OVER THE COMPETITION:
– Understanding of beer, cider and the science of fermentation.
– Knowledge of brewery/cidery operations and processes.
– Proven excellent analysis of data and forecasting.
– Strong background managing to budget, reading P&L and understanding finances.
JOB RESPONSIBILITY: Make cider
– Work with our Buyer Analyst to ensure on-time, in-spec and cost-effective delivery of raw goods and ingredients.
– Production planning tasks including scheduling tanks and equipment based on demands.
– Manage production team staff (currently 8 people) and work with team supervisors to delegate production tasks including morning juice trucks through to swing and graveyard packaging shifts.
– Occasionally perform production/warehouse duties as needed.
– Work with Nat/Cidermaker and production team on fermentation management. Continually improve fermentations.
– Work with co-pack clients to produce their products according to their specifications.
JOB RESPONSIBILITY: Manage inventory
– Using LEAN practices and working with our Buyer Analyst, keep raw goods inventories as low as possible.
– Work with sales team on order forecasts.
– Work with executive team to develop long range forecasts.
– Manage incoming sales orders, oversee warehouse/inventory staff including logistics and freight.
JOB RESPONSIBILITY: Operational improvements
– Create employee personal growth plan to develop our staff.
– Develop and maintain continuous growth plan.
– Continually develop safety standards & implement them. OSHA compliance.
– Develop and document Standard Operating Procedures.
– Develop HACCP program and implement it ahead of FDA regulations.
– Manage QA program.
JOB RESPONSIBILITY: New product development
– Work with Nat/Cidermaker on new recipe development. Nothing is off limits.
– Manage new product cost calculations.
JOB RESPONSIBILITY: Administrative/communications
– Quarterly TTB filings. Monthly OLCC and other state reports.
– Prepare production reports for management team.
– Work with Taproom Manager to facilitate events.
– Occasionally staff events as a cidery representative.
– Work with executive team on the highest levels of branding, vision and strategy as they pertain to operations.
JOB RESPONSIBILITY: Facilities maintenance
– Responsible for facility maintenance (either directly or through contractors) including preventative maintenance.
– Work with Nat and general contractors for buildout of new areas in our building and other buildings.
What We Offer:
– A chance to get in on the ground level of a rapidly growing company in the fastest growing alcohol category in the US.
– A work environment that combines more than 6 years of history with a continued startup mentality.
– Excellent salary DOE plus bonuses.
– Great tasting cider made with real apples and lots of it.
Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Operations Director”. Without both pieces, we cannot process your request. Thanks!