Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on July 27th, 2015 at 4:20 pm
Job Title *
Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator
Job Description *
Title: Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator
Organization: Oregon Walks
Location: Portland, OR
Status: Part-time, .625 FTE (25 hours/week)
Salary: $17-20/hour – depending on experience
Benefits: Generous PTO policy. This position does not offer health benefits at this time.
About Oregon Walks:
Since 1991, Oregon Walks has worked to make walking a safe, convenient, and accessible transportation option for all Oregonians, regardless of which town, city or neighborhood they call home. We build political power for pedestrians through advocacy, educational programming, coalition-building, policy analysis, statewide safety initiatives, and supporting increased funding to support these vital activities. Oregon Walks plays a pivotal role influencing Oregon’s transportation future and addressing the needs of pedestrians across the state.
Oregon Walks is hiring a Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator to empower Oregonians to participate in our mission of promoting walking and making the conditions for walking safe, convenient and attractive to everyone.
The Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator must be a highly motivated, responsible person with experience and skills to support & grow the organization’s members, volunteers and programs. The position requires strong communication skills with people of all ages, backgrounds and abilities; excellent attention to detail, a flexible and joyful personality, and a commitment to Oregon Walks’ mission and values.
The Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator works directly with the Executive Director, partners and stakeholders to grow our network of pedestrian advocates through volunteer management, while also supporting, creating and promoting walking events – with a specific focus on schools. This position is also responsible for managing grant reporting requirements and robust data tracking to ensure thoughtful program design, delivery and evaluation.
The position is grant funded through June 2017, with the opportunity for this position to grow with the organization pending additional funding.
Specific Responsibilities of the Position:
• Recruit, manage and support volunteers – serve as primary point of contact for new and established volunteers; coordinate orientations & outreach at a variety of events; maintain records and materials; track volunteer hours and provide support to volunteers as needed.
• Coordinate targeted outreach efforts– Plan & execute open houses & a ‘walking challenge’ at Title I schools in Portland Public School District, and other events across the region.
• Plan & execute walking events – Organize 2016 Walktober event series including recruitment and supervision of interns and walk leaders, promoting walks to increase participation, developing new walks and working with sponsors to fund them.
• Work with Executive Director on all other duties as assigned.
The Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator must:
• Have passion and enthusiasm for a transportation system that incorporates and prioritizes safety and accessibility for people walking, and commitment to Oregon Walks’ mission and values;
• Be able to pass a criminal background check; for work with students in school settings
Preferred qualifications for success in this position:
• Strong emphasis on accountability, collaboration, professionalism, a positive attitude and transparency at all times;
• Demonstrated experience managing, recruiting and retaining volunteers and interns;
• Background working with diverse communities and ability to communicate with a wide range of individuals, including members and volunteers, media, funders, and public sector staff;
• Bilingualism – Spanish, Russian, Cantonese, Mandarin or Somali – is strongly preferred;
• Success and ability to thrive while working independently, and ability to manage multiple projects while responding quickly to emerging opportunities;
• Aptitude for managing grant deliverables and funder reporting requirements;
• Familiarity with social media and other digital communication tools;
• Ability to manage time effectively and prioritize tasks;
• Proven ability to deliver excellent customer service;
• Willing to problem-solve with spirit of innovation;
• Flexible schedule to work occasional evenings and weekends.
How to Apply *
Please submit a one-page cover letter outlining your passion for the cause and fit with the position. Please also provide a resume and the names and contact information for three references who can speak to your professional work. Send all materials to our Executive Director, Noel Mickelberry, at email@example.com with “Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator” in the subject line. We will begin reviewing applications on a rolling basis on August 10th, with a deadline for submission of August 17th at 5 p.m.
Women, people of color, members of LGBTQ communities, and people with disabilities strongly encouraged to apply. If you need any accommodations to participate in the application process please let us know.
Oregon Walks Respects Civil Rights – Oregon Walks is committed to operating all of its programs without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, veteran status, marital status, sensory disabilities, physical disabilities, mental disabilities and all other identities protected by state and federal law.