Support BikePortland

Custom u-locks; new bike fashion trend?

Posted by on March 5th, 2010 at 11:05 am

Are custom, personalized U-locks the next big thing in bike fashion here in Bike City, USA? After all, U-locks are pretty much ubiquitous on the urban biking scene and they’re not exactly easy to conceal. So, why not add some flair and make a fashion statement out of them? Seems reasonable to me.

Check out these examples of the latest must-have bike fashion accessory seen on the streets of Portland…

First, there’s the very clever re-use of an Oury grip (hat tip to Dustin Hubbard):

And of course, the knitted “U-lock sweater” is a Portland fave (thanks to Justa):

And, the grand finale, a custom paint-job (found via Molly Cameron on Twitter):

If this continues, are limited edition “street series” u-locks from the likes of Kryptonite far off?

jim March 5, 2010 at 11:43 am

funny to see the knited lock. the paint is allready allscrtched up so its not going to save the paint (unless that was a custom scratch job)

Shawn Small March 5, 2010 at 11:54 am

I have been wanting to CarbonFiber my ulock for a long time.

Now if only I could make one that didn’t outweigh my bike

davidio March 5, 2010 at 12:23 pm

It appears to me that the lock with the coozy is protecting a custom splatter paint job.

My mind wanders to the Big Lebowski . . .

bearcub March 5, 2010 at 12:56 pm

yeah, justa’s all about the splatter paint. her tallbike has a pretty similar paintjob, only with more of a sprockettes-centric color scheme….with a little bit of bicycle belles thrown in for good measure.

steve March 5, 2010 at 5:42 pm

justa’s paint rocks. any more pics?

jim March 5, 2010 at 6:15 pm

I want to see a video of them making splatter paint. it sounds fun

jim March 6, 2010 at 10:11 am

do they pour out paint on visqueen and ride around on top of it splattering paint on everything? That would be a fun event for last thursday

Dan Kaufman March 8, 2010 at 10:11 pm

I love it! My tired, rusty, and beat up ulock is gonna get modified & perhaps powder coated.