Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on April 17th, 2008 at 10:16 am
Rally to support the Sauvie Island Bridge relocation!
Take a walking tour of the proposed new bridge site.
Thursday, April 17. Press event at 5:00, tours leaving at 5:15 and 5:30.
Meet at NW 15th and Flanders
Come support the relocation of the former Sauvie Island Bridge span to form a much-needed safe crossing over I-405, and learn about plans to create a world class connection between Portland’s two densest neighborhoods.
Join experts on traffic safety, transportation planning, and local history on an informative (and sometimes scary) tour of the bridge’s proposed new site. Learn about the history of the area and the dangers of current mobility options. An informal gathering will follow at Rogue Ales Public house at NW 13th and Flanders.
The proposed relocation of the Sauvie Island Bridge to cross I-405 at Flanders street will:
– Connect the two densest neighborhoods in Portland
– Provide the only safe freeway crossing for pedestrians between Burnside and Johnson
– Provide safe, direct access to Washington Park, the northwest industrial area, and northwest Portland businesses and neighborhoods.
– Serve over 2000 children who live in the bridge’s immediate area
– Represent the biggest recycling/reuse project ever undertaken in the City of Portland
– Showcase our region’s international leadership in sustainability
– Cannot be completed without strong public support
The event will begin at edge of the freeway with a brief orientation to the bridge relocation proposal. Short tours of the streets surrounding the proposed bridge relocation site will highlight current challenges and opportunities for pedestrians, bicyclists, and everyone using these streets.
Rain or shine. Bring your friends, children, dogs on leashes, and your best questions and ideas.
Event hosts: A coalition of community members and neighborhood and transportation activists, including the Willamette Pedestrian Coalition and the Bicycle Transportation Alliance
Questions? Contact: Elly Blue at 503 810 9443