Police investigating fatal collision at SE 148th and Mill – Updated

Posted by on September 30th, 2012 at 10:31 pm

The Portland Police Bureau just reported a fatal collision involving a man riding a bicycle and someone driving a car.

The collision occurred at SE 148th and Mill in the Centennial Neighborhood around 9:00 pm tonight (9/30). The intersection is slated for a traffic signal as per plans by the Portland Bureau of Transportation (PBOT) to create a neighborhood greenway on SE Mill. Currently it’s slated for completion in 2015.

No additional details are available right now; but the PPB has launched an investigation and I’ll update this post as I learn more. If you saw anything or have information to share, please call the Portland Police non-emergency line at (503) 823-3333.

UPDATE: KATU News has posted a photo from the scene (not graphic).

UPDATE, 11:30 am 10/2: The PPB still hasn’t released many more details. Below is what I have just heard from Traffic Division Capt. David Hendrie:

“We had five major crash team callouts in 48 hours over the weekend so it has been hectic… the rider was riding on the sidewalk and rode in front of the car that was turning left onto Mill. The investigator is still reviewing the evidence from the crash. The driver of the vehicle was not impaired and there is no indication she could have avoided the collision. It will be some time before we know more.”

UPDATE, 1:45 pm, 10/2: I just posted a full update here.

Comments
  • Spiffy October 1, 2012 at 7:52 am

looks like there still aren’t a lot of details…

• peejay October 1, 2012 at 8:39 am

Didn’t the City sign up for Vision Zero at some point? Did they believe they could wish the deaths away? Or are they actually committed to fixing our murderous street system? Sam? SAM?

• Spiffy October 1, 2012 at 9:26 am

I thought it was Seattle that was going to try the Vision Zero thing…

• Nick Falbo October 1, 2012 at 8:49 am

This intersection is along one of the proposed east-west Neighborhood Greenways in east Portland. The project is funded (I think), and slated from completion in 2015 … maybe we can bump that schedule up a couple years?

Here’s a map of the proposed Neighbohood Greenway network of east Portland: http://www.portlandoregon.gov/transportation/article/337977

• Gregg October 1, 2012 at 11:23 am

Great idea Nick!

• Joe October 1, 2012 at 11:37 am

RIP

• Alan 1.0 October 1, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Streetviews shows both bike and HOV diamond markings in the bike lane on 148th. What’s up with that? Are motorcycles allowed in that lane?

• John Lascurettes October 1, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Diamonds might sometimes be put in bike lanes. The diamond simply means it’s a special use lane and that it is restricted to certain users instead of all users. In the case of a bike lane, bikes only; in the case of a HOV lane, motorcycles, buses and HOV-vehicles.

• ScottB October 1, 2012 at 4:58 pm

The old standard for bike lanes required a diamond. The new standard prohibits them, but it costs money to remove those old diamonds.

• Alan 1.0 October 1, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Thanks, John and Scott. I don’t recall seeing bike lanes marked by diamonds in WA but maybe I just failed to notice. I’m surprised they have not worn away more than they have in those views; “bike lane” marks painted around my neighborhood are mostly gone after two years or so. I wonder when they were painted?

(Sorry ’bout the broken Streetviews link, it should be http://goo.gl/maps/g03tw.)

• CaptainKarma October 1, 2012 at 2:46 pm

In my experience, bike lanes in outer SE are seen as “passing on the right” lanes of, by, and for motorists. Never see tickets issued.

• lyle October 1, 2012 at 4:49 pm

I really feel for anybody that has to rely on biking to get back an forth out in the east part of the city. There are some insanely dangerous drivers out there, aside from the increased prevalence of people who are hateful and overtly violent towards anybody on a bike.

Combine this with having to get around amongst all this after the sun goes down, when visibility is lowered and the chances of DUII goes way up, and you got a bad bad recipe for bike riding.

RIP to whoever this was.

• ScottB October 1, 2012 at 4:59 pm

148th at Mill already has a signal.

• ScottB October 1, 2012 at 5:02 pm

And I don’t think any plans for the 4M project have been posted yet (Mill – Market – Millmain – Main; 87th to 174th).

• rolinon October 1, 2012 at 7:30 pm

This intersection is within a block of my house. I ride through it every day I go to work. It is way better now than what it used to be since they installed the countdown crosswalk signals a couple of years ago. But still I see people blast through without stopping for a red light – both motor vehicles and bikes. The light used to take forever + (another long time) + (an eon or an era) to change if you were on Mill, but now it works well for both streets. The major problem, from my observation, is speed. 35 mph on 148th and 25 on Mill, neither of which is normally observed and Mill is supposedly a “Bike Route”. There have been a number of accidents at this intersection over the years including multiple fatalities.
    I nearly ran over a young kid on a bike at this intersection about two weeks ago as I was taking my dog to the vet in my pickup, when the light turned green I hesitated then started to move forward when this kid, about 8 or 9, flashed into my right periphery vision and across in front of my truck. He was riding on the sidewalk when he crossed in front of me. Luckily my foot was still on the brake and I stopped in the nick of time. It took a moment to process it all before I could go on. I still shudder when I think of it.

My heart goes out to the family of the deceased cyclist.

• Kristi Finney-Dunn October 2, 2012 at 11:34 am

So… no further info on this? I can’t find anything anywhere. I feel for the people involved and am so glad the driver stayed at the scene.

• Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) October 2, 2012 at 11:40 am

Hi Kristi,

The PPB says they’ve been swamped with several major crashes in the past two days. Here’s what I just heard from them:

• El Biciclero October 2, 2012 at 1:13 pm

“Swamped” with major crashes. Seems a sad indication of our collective inability to pay attention and cooperate on the roadways. Also of our lack of adequate enforcement resources.

• Peter Michaelson October 2, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I don’t understand the physical dynamics here? The bike rider was going straight. The auto driver was turning. There was nothing the auto driver could do.

(Other than auto driver looking where he was going?)

• Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) October 2, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Just posted a more complete update in a separate post. Read it here.