A Google Map of Portland bike shops

Posted by on January 22nd, 2008 at 9:44 am

Thanks to the efforts of Woodstock resident and reader Brad R., my list of Portland bike shops has been made into a handy Google Map.

Brad plotted out all the shops on my links page, and filled in the description with the little blurb I’d written for each of them.

I’ve embedded the map below (it might take a second to load) and eventually I’ll give it a more permanent home somewhere on the site. Check it out…

View Larger Map

Thanks Brad!

Comments
  • Jim O'Horo January 22, 2008 at 10:03 am

Thanks Brad. Great map! Should come in very handy.

Not to be picky, but I noticed Performance Bicycle @ Mall 205 is not included. It\’s not in Jonathan\’s list of local bike shops either. Is this an oversight or does a shop have to advertise to be shown on the site?

Note: I\’m neither endorsing nor discouraging mention of any particular shop – just curious.

• Tomas Quinones January 22, 2008 at 10:24 am

I did the same thing…only I didn\’t add any descriptions…just the addresses.

Google Maps

• Jonathan Maus (Editor) January 22, 2008 at 10:27 am

\”Performance Bicycle @ Mall 205 is not included. ..Is this an oversight or does a shop have to advertise to be shown on the site?\”

Hi Jim,

My list has nothing to do with advertising… thanks for the heads up. I will add that shop asap.

if anyone has shops I\’ve left out, please let me know. thanks.

• Bradly Fletchall January 22, 2008 at 10:46 am

This is very cool. I think I\’ll make a very similar map for my site. (except mine will be for the entire state of Missouri as there are about as many shops in the entire state as there are in Portland alone)

• hilsy January 22, 2008 at 10:55 am

We have a bike shop that just opened up in our neighborhood, Brooklyn, last month.

It\’s at 3434 SE Milwaukie Ave and the owner, Kerry, is calling it Brooklyn Bike. My wife and I have already availed them of their services for winter overhauls and were quite satisfied with the work and the price.

• Stripes January 22, 2008 at 10:57 am

Wow, I had no clue how few westside bike shops there were!

Where\’s a bike shop at Council Crest when ya need one!

• Josh January 22, 2008 at 11:07 am

I agree thanks brad. Now I just wish google had bike paths on their maps. and bike lanes would be nice. bycycle.org has the right idea it just doesn\’t workout very well.

• ben.foote@pdxstump.com January 22, 2008 at 11:10 am

Shameless self promotion…

pdxstump includes a tagged interface to Portland resources. As a believer in bicycling and a bike commuter I\’ve tried to include all the bike resources I can get my hands on. Additionally, all locations in the site link directly to bycycle.org and we pull rss/news feeds from 46 bike related sites (of the 919 feeds we currently pull).

• Todd Boulanger January 22, 2008 at 11:50 am

Great map!

I would suggest adding:
    - Joes locations (PDX & Couv)
    - the Vancouver bike shop (Bad Boyz), since it is a local resource for Portlanders biking the Gorge and 40 mile loop.
    Bad Boyz Bicycles And Specialties

And…
    - REI
    1405 NW Johnson,
    Portland OR
    (503) 221-1938

• Commute by bike! January 22, 2008 at 2:11 pm

A Better Cycle on Division at 23rd, SE needs to be added to the map too.(incidentally next door to where the Seven Corners shop used to be)

• Troy January 22, 2008 at 2:13 pm

Hmm, I can\’t get google street view to work from this computer to identify the name of the shop, but last summer I visited a cool little vintage bike shop on the north side of Morrison just W of 7th. Someone should be able to find it in street view.

• rev January 22, 2008 at 2:37 pm

13th and roselawn
    sat sun and monday!

• John January 22, 2008 at 3:46 pm

A nice idea, now all we need are the rest of the shops in the Portland Metro are included. One would think that Washington county, Lake Oswego, Gresham and Vancouver don\’t have any shops from this map.

• Ben January 22, 2008 at 8:43 pm

Our shop is on Jonathan\’s list, but didn\’t make it on the map… is it the one-wheeled nature of our products? A subtle *bi*-as against the uni-que? I say think outside the bike box and include all cycle shops. Besides, we sell a variety of cycle parts and have some tools on hand if any nearby cyclists need a repair. If someone has the know-how to turn the little green cyclist icon into a guy on a unicycle, maybe that would allay anyone\’s concerns about including us ;)

• Ben Schoenberg January 22, 2008 at 8:53 pm

Our shop is on Jonathan\’s list, but didn\’t make it on the map… is it the one-wheeled nature of our products? A subtle *bi*-as against the uni-que? I say think outside the bike box and include all cycle shops. Besides, we sell a variety of cycle parts and have some tools on hand (useful when nearby cyclists have needed help). If someone has the know-how to turn the little green cyclist icon into a guy on a unicycle, maybe that would allay anyone\’s concerns about including us ;)

• Kristen January 23, 2008 at 8:44 am

John, I agree with you 100%.

Tualatin, Tigard, Lake O, Oregon City, and Beaverton should be added. We\’re part of the \”Portland Metropolitan area\”, why do these areas always get left out?

• Brad R January 23, 2008 at 9:33 am

Ben-
    Sorry \’bout that. I added it this AM. I\’m really not a \’wheelist\’. I believe that our one-wheeled neighbors should have the same rights as a two-wheeler. Heck, some of my best friends are uni’s. I\’m thinking that I just couldn\’t find your address when I was putting the map together. I now see that you not only have your address on your home page, but a link to a map with driving directions as well. My bad.

I\’ve also added Performance Bicycle @ Mall 205, Brooklyn Bike (a phone number would be nice, if anyone knows it) and Jonathan added Bike Farm.

• Josh January 23, 2008 at 10:14 am

what about veloshop. Its on Jonathans list but not the map.
    211 SW 9th Ave
    (503) 335-8356

• Damon January 23, 2008 at 2:12 pm

Not on map, but can\’t vouch for them either… they do sell/repair bikes!

• name witheld by request January 23, 2008 at 4:45 pm

Brad R #18:

\”I believe that our one-wheeled neighbors should have the same rights as a two-wheeler.\”

Yes they should, but if they went downtown, Barnum & Ballser would probably give \’em a present for no brake.

Hand brakes for unis!! eeerk, oops splat!

• Kim January 24, 2008 at 9:09 am

missed another…
    Southwest Bicycle
    3605 SW Multnomah Blvd.

• Heidi June 28, 2008 at 3:24 pm

I just saw a phone number for the Brooklyn Bike Shop in a copy of The Bee about the shop opening. This is what was listed: 503/546-1696

• Brian Lacy January 29, 2009 at 10:20 am

One more self-promoter,
    Great resource idea. I’m teaching Repair and LifeCycling classes from home/office. There’s a full and growing list of dates at my web site. Classes are also being held in any neighborhood, so the ‘shop’ is mobile too. Not a retail shop per se, but a bicycle resource for pdx novice and less-than empowered cyclists. Neighborhood Rides coming in spring.

Brian for BIKEmpowered