A media day whirlwind

Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on October 12th, 2007 at 3:02 pm

Today has been quite a whirlwind.

My phone rang at 7:30 am this morning. It was someone from a local media outlet. Since then I've given three on-camera interviews and have read through mountains of comments.

I haven't really had the chance to work on the story myself. A lot of questions remain.

Fortunately, I have some faith that the local media will have some additional and interesting information about this tragedy for us tonight.

In particular, watch the KATU-TV news (channel 12 2) tonight at 5:00. I also spoke with folks from KGW (channel 8) so check that out as well.

I was impressed with what KATU reporter Brian Barker was working on and I look forward to seeing his story.

Hope to see everyone tonight at 6:00 at the Burnside Bridge.

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • Craig October 12, 2007 at 3:08 pm

KATU is channel 2, correct?

• Tasha October 12, 2007 at 3:26 pm

Jonathan, I think you meant to put Channel 2, not 12. KATU is Channel 2.

• Todd Boulanger October 12, 2007 at 3:30 pm

Jonathan, any chance the press will discuss some of the design tools for intersection that help to minimize driver bicyclist crashes? (Tools mentioned on earlier postings.)

Showing drivers and bicyclists these would help fold them in during the development of the platinum bike plan. Right now most Portlanders do not know the full selection of tools in the intersection tool box.

• erin g. October 12, 2007 at 4:52 pm

Keep it up, Jonathan. You are doing an excellent job. Your efforts to keep us all informed and connected are deeply appreciated.

• Donna October 12, 2007 at 5:11 pm

You\'re a good man, Mr. Maus. :)

• Ian Clemons October 12, 2007 at 9:13 pm

Thank you so much for all you do, Jonathan. If I saw you at a restaurant or bar, I\'d buy you a drink...if I knew what you looked like.

My 2 daughters and I went to the ride for Tracey tonight. It was very moving for all of us. In their childlike ways, they understood the gravity of the situation. They were stunned by the hundreds of cyclists around us, the tinkling of bike bells like so many windchimes in the evening air, the blinky lights everywhere. We felt important and like we were riding with our family out there. From their perch on the xtracycle they saw it all, including the candles and the ghostbike. The tears of Tracey\'s friends and fellow students.

We feel like misfits sometimes. We bike whenever we can. We try to live where we are and help mother earth. We didn\'t feel alone tonight. Thanks everyone who came.

-Ian Clemons
    (and Seneca and Maia)

• A citizen who obeys bicycle laws October 12, 2007 at 10:05 pm

Most Portland bicyclists don\'t obey the bicycle laws. Their arrogance is only preceded by their ignorance of the bicycle laws. They do not have the right to be in a car lane...ever. Too many die because of their own ignorance and stupidity and they are self-centered caring nothing about the damage they do to other people. Until Portland bicyclists start obeying bicycle laws and stay out of the automobile lanes, the deaths will continue. The ignorance of the laws are overwhelming. Read your Oregon Bicycle manual if you want to do something about safety instead of acting self-centered and ignorant of the laws.

• joeb October 12, 2007 at 10:17 pm

Wow, I must have been standing right next to you Ian.

Thank you everybody for being there.

• Mick October 13, 2007 at 11:02 am

As I waited for the memorial ride to start last night, one of the things I thought about was how directly responsible bikeportland.org was for making the event such a success. What you do has real value, Jonathan and I thank you for doing it. We are lucky to have you.

• Zach October 13, 2007 at 11:56 am

citizen, please cite the law that says cyclists don\'t have the right to be in auto lanes....

(hint: there isn\'t one)

• Kevin October 13, 2007 at 12:35 pm

dear Citizen who obeys the bicycle laws,

You need to review Oregon Revised Statutes. A cyclist does indeed have the right to the travel lane in certain instances.

The young woman would be alive today if she had \"taken the lane\" instead of staying in the bike lane. Yup, the truck driver might be ticked that he had to wait for the bike to clear the intersection before turning..... but he was supposed to do that anyway.

Riding in bike lanes in town scares me, turning cars, being \"doored\" by those parked on the side, and vehicle drivers failure to check bike lanes before pulling out are all valid reasons why you will find me in the middle of the traffic lane doing my best to keep up with traffic.

All perfectly legal

• rixtir October 13, 2007 at 12:51 pm

Kevin, Citizen, and Zach, you\'re all wrong.

• jeffrey tobias October 13, 2007 at 1:45 pm

OK,lets now forget that terrible incident,and all bike riders,should have to be waited by cars,or trucks,untill the bicyclist,makes his move,before the Truck drivers,Mentality,hurry up,i need to get somewhere fast.One thing,Bicyclist,many use the sidewalks,halling by,and i was nearly hit twice,on a Sidewalk,by a Byclist.Please,ride safe,use the bike Lane,not the sidewalk,if you would of hit me,im disabled,id Sue you,for Negligence,if injured.Thats why thewy made Bike lanes,you cant hav e it both ways.Im very Sorry,many Drivers Mentality,is not a Bicyclist again,they Disobey,the Laws Period.Slow down,and be Observant,Drivers.

• Deb October 13, 2007 at 3:55 pm

Kevin, if Tracey had \"taken the lane,\" wouldn\'t she have been behind the cement truck, since it was already at the light with its right turn signal on before she approached the intersection?