Comments

At BikePortland, we think your comments are just as important as our stories. This page lists all comments made on BikePortland.org, with recent comments at the top.

If you love great comments as much as we do, check out our Comment of the Week column. Please help us find more great ones by simply typing "comment of the week" in a comment.

Return to the Front Page.

1. Comment by Ed September 15, 2021 @ 6:05 pm | Link

If you think a boycott is virtue signalling, you're telling us you don't know what a boycott is, or what it's role has been in history. I'm so weary of this "both sides" false framing. The people who want to put an end to the democratic process now that demographics are spelling their extinction, those who want a theocracy and will accept plutocracy are NOT equally balanced with those wanting democracy to continue, nor SHOULD they be treated as such. I'm speaking of the procovid, forced childbirth advocate party, the (in truth)resurrected Confederates that used to be "conservatives". You remind me of those Americans in the 30's who spoke the way you do about events in Germany Italy and Japan. Mr Middle, sometimes you have to pick sides, and though I wish that weren't true our grandparents knew it was. Your moral relativism is a sick child and as Jim Hightower wrote: "There's nothing in the middle of the road but a yellow stripe and dead armadillos" Time to rise to the occasion and be a citizen not just a consumer.

2. Comment by Watts September 15, 2021 @ 5:59 pm | Link

If talking with those you disagree with is out, what's left? Ritual combat?

3. Comment by Watts September 15, 2021 @ 5:54 pm | Link

The number of people who believe "gay men should go to jail" in this country is vanishingly small, so it is not at all reasonable suggest that those to your right generally believe this. By an overwhelming majority, they don't. And until recently, the anti-vax movement was most visible on the left (not the "antifa left", but the "wellness left".)

Maybe I'm just confused, as you say, but I think the way you are presenting your views are as shrill and divisive* as many on the right.

*There's that word again, feeling quite appropriate applied to an apparent male.

4. Comment by Opus the Poet September 15, 2021 @ 5:53 pm | Link

This is good. The choice is not e-bike or regular bike, the choice is e-bike or car, electric or gas. We want to incentivize the e-bike to be the better option.

In response to Advocates sound alarm as E-Bike Act gets watered down on Capitol Hill Array

5. Comment by cmh89 September 15, 2021 @ 4:45 pm | Link

In two postings in a row you’ve directly criticized the concept that most issues can be viewed from different angles

I'm not sure where you got that from. Maybe you misread what I wrote, twice? Most issues can be looked at from many angles. If your position is "gay men should go to jail", I don't care what "angle" you're looking at, you're a terrible person full stop.

I’m sure you understand that most complex issues are, well, complex, but you seem to think that your views are the only legitimate ones.

I have Masters in Public Policy so I'm pretty familiar with complex issues. Again, you might be replying to the wrong posts? I'm also never sure where I said my views where the only legitimate ones? Can you quote me? Or are you just trying to create strawmen to argue?

I think you might be confused. There are lots of opinions ones can have, but not all of them deserve respect or consideration. Eating horse paste makes you an idiot. Refusing to get the vaccine makes you an idiot. There is no nuance there. Conservatives want tolerance and respect for their ignorant and anti-science positions, and its just not going to happen.

There is a reason trump said he loved the poorly educated

6. Comment by Jason September 15, 2021 @ 4:45 pm | Link

I think I got that from a YouTube video, maybe even GCN. Seems like a clever, British idiom.

7. Comment by cmh89 September 15, 2021 @ 4:38 pm | Link

I have no interest in reaching across the aisle. The GOP tried to overthrow our federal elections.

I said that the Democratic part and liberals generally still try and reach across the aisle, a policy I disagree with greatly.

8. Comment by Steve C September 15, 2021 @ 4:35 pm | Link

I know at two people living in moderately dense communities that wanted to buy EVs or plug-in hybrids this year but opted to get ICE cars instead because they live in apartments and have to park as much as a few blocks away from their building on a regular basis. Lots of people live in places dense enough that multistory apartment living is the norm, but are still underserved from a public transportation standpoint that they have some type of personal or shared car.

This seems like a cool solution vs the expense of building ground based kiosks and buried conduit all over the place: https://youtu.be/UjiR-Wz_Z8s

Maybe if we had a whole bunch of these, or something like it, EVs for apartment dwellers would be viable.

In response to The Monday Roundup: Salt Lake's Hawthorne moment, youth bike boom, predictable pedaling, and more Array

9. Comment by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) September 15, 2021 @ 4:33 pm | Link

Yes I regret not asking her about the freeway vote. My bad. I didn't even expect to see her and then it was a very hasty decision to even chat with her. And maybe I was softened up because her baby was so stinking cute, I was impressed that she was out there, and it was such an informal setting. It was only after I left that I realized I missed an opportunity to ask her about her stance on freeways. I will have another chance to talk with her so stay tuned.

In response to Once a mere concept, Portland's 'Green Loop' is coming into focus Array

10. Comment by Andrew N September 15, 2021 @ 4:29 pm | Link

Great and thoroughly depressing interview. I wonder if Roger will read it or if he's still borrowing Melania's jacket. After the last few decades of lying, obfuscating, wasting the time of citizen volunteers, and kicking the ol' can (the one marked "political will") further down the road, I feel like a more appropriate headline might have been "Is the Portland Bureau Of Transportation worth saving?". The Vision Zero program, viewed through the prism of its own ongoing and blood-soaked failure, kind of sums it all up.

In response to BikePortland Podcast: Is our once heralded 2030 Bike Plan worth saving? Array

11. Comment by Steve C September 15, 2021 @ 4:21 pm | Link

It’s interesting wording, “put into service” rather than purchased. I suppose the price of the combined bike (if bought that same year?) and kit would count towards the $8k cap and 15% credit.

12. Comment by Watts September 15, 2021 @ 4:01 pm | Link

In two postings in a row you've directly criticized the concept that most issues can be viewed from different angles. I'm sure you understand that most complex issues are, well, complex, but you seem to think that your views are the only legitimate ones. That's a fairly illiberal outlook.

13. Comment by Watts September 15, 2021 @ 3:54 pm | Link

Lots of caricature and vitriol in your posts, not much "reaching across the aisle".

14. Comment by Roberta Robles September 15, 2021 @ 3:51 pm | Link

I see a real opportunity to use the east side OMSI lot as a bike freight hub. OMSI has enough public transit infrastructure that they should “forgo” one lot for cyclists. Since that’s the mega through bottleneck for high speed riders as well. The cycle freight hub could pull together a lot of loose strands down there, add extra activity to the area late into the night with all day deliveries missing day time traffic peaks. Plan for congestion pricing means having central city hub spaces for transfer zones. OMSI is it. This is how to discourage houseless activity; make it so busy with late night just in time deliveries on the green loop. We shall call it the $$Green Money Loop of Cyclists. This is the only project in Portland that gives me hope.

Somebody please run against Christine Lewis. She didn’t get the memo: we can’t upgrade 82nd cuz you keep telling ODOT to spend it on freeways. Why does BP keep giving softball interviews to these double speak talk ladies ? There’s a reason why we can’t get a vote on the bike bill. TOO SOFT!!!

15. Comment by GlowBoy September 15, 2021 @ 3:27 pm | Link

Maybe that is true on new construction? Echoing Soren's presumed situation, I can't think of an apartment or condo I've lived in with covered parking that also had nearby accessible outlets. In any event, I also can't think of a landlord I've had who'd take kindly to my pulling anywhere from 5 to 20 kWh a day of "free" electricity from an outlet in a common space.

16. Comment by GlowBoy September 15, 2021 @ 3:24 pm | Link

Completely agree about battery longevity, as the owner of a '15 Leaf. Still charges to 100% at 66k miles despite being parked outdoors for several years in MN's extreme climate.

I also agree that there isn't probably much difference between L1 and L2 in battery longevity. I use a L2 charger "daily," with our EVSE inside the garage but the cord snaked outside where the car is parked. We don't really need to charge it daily, but there are times when we have been doing suburban errands on weekends, draining the battery to 20%, and would like the car to be fully charged the next day, which L1 will not necessarily do.

L3 is what really hurts battery longevity: ours does not have this capability, and I'm finding it's common for people who never or rarely "fast-charge" to have similar battery outcomes as we do; and those who have L3 capability and use it more than infrequently are finding their capacity dropping a few percent by the time their car hits the age of ours.

17. Comment by JJ September 15, 2021 @ 3:23 pm | Link

Why the tribes?

Can't we all have different ideas, values, thoughts, genders, and religions but come together to ride bikes and enjoy bike culture?

18. Comment by FullLaneFemme September 15, 2021 @ 3:16 pm | Link

Unrelated but I'm just now noticing your pink fenders and purple at the wheels. I love it!
    I'm agreeing with a lot of folks that city commuting is likely a "liberal" thing because cities tend to be "liberal" leaning. I had to stop thinking Prius drivers were "some of the good ones" and just realize when folks get behind a car they often transform into jerks/ a lot of clueless people are driving.

19. Comment by Tad September 15, 2021 @ 3:16 pm | Link

And the new left is against anything the right is for. Portland is one of the most judgmental, unaccepting towns in the US. Jacksonville, FL
    is probably number 2 but on the other side of the spectrum.

Both are screaming Groucho Marx’s song “ Whatever it is, I'm against it”

Please STOP, both of you (far righties and far lefties)!

20. Comment by Paul Atkinson September 15, 2021 @ 3:11 pm | Link

Does anyone know whether this would apply to a brand new electric conversion of an existing non-electric bicycle, or would it only be applicable to a whole bike?

21. Comment by cmh89 September 15, 2021 @ 2:45 pm | Link

You’ve painted every conservative with a broad brush

What do you mean? If you support the GOP, you support those things regardless of what you claim to believe. It's not like you can say "oh I hate that trump orphaned all those children but I'm willing to overlook it because he juiced the stock market"

If you support something like the GOP, that says something about you.

To requote myself

"I simply wont be friends with people who think trans people should be killed, gay people put in prison, and women forced to develop a fetus they don’t want, including one created by rape, regardless of whatever else we have in common."

I don't think a shared enjoyment of Breakfast at Tiffany's is enough common ground to build a friendship on bud.

I'll say it another way. If at this point in time, after watching the horror show that the GOP no longer bothers to hide, you still identify as a conservative, you aren't a good person and I have no interest in knowing you.

The world wont be a better place if I overlook disgusting worldviews to maintain friendships with terrible people. The world will be better place if conservatives stop being ignorant bigots.

Bud, I have lots of friendships with people I disagree with. Disagreeing on trade policy or urban planning, or even how to address climate change is significantly different than a disagreement over whether or not women have civil rights.

22. Comment by cmh89 September 15, 2021 @ 2:19 pm | Link

The performative act amuses me. Virtue signaling exists on both sides of the spectrum – remember Vista Outdoor?

I'm not sure what you think this has to do with what I said so I'll just ignore it.

LOL at the 'both sides' nonsense. Let me know when liberals start eating horse paste and dying to own the conservatives.

23. Comment by Fuzzy Blue Line September 15, 2021 @ 2:16 pm | Link

@cmh89 You just proved my point. You've painted every conservative with a broad brush. The world would be a better place if you actually made a conservative friend & had an ongoing conversation with them over more than social media. Sitting down over a cup of coffee or a beer with someone you disagree with can truly transform your life relationships. Try it 🙂

24. Comment by SERider September 15, 2021 @ 2:15 pm | Link

Trump said the human body is a battery and we shouldn't exercise, which would drain it down. I'm guessing he's not a fan of bikes.

25. Comment by SERider September 15, 2021 @ 2:13 pm | Link

Mainly because it's mostly done in cities and cities tend to be skewed to the left (compared to rural, towns, or suburbs).

Comments