Comments

At BikePortland, we think your comments are just as important as our stories. This page lists all comments made on BikePortland.org, with recent comments at the top.

If you love great comments, check out our Comment of the Week column, where we highlight the best ones (and even pay $5 to its author!).

Return to the Front Page.

1. Comment by Timo Forsberg September 19, 2017 @ 5:21 pm | Link

So much to love in this article! And another thing to love - Momoko is co-chair of PBOT's Bureau and Budget Advisory Committee. Great to have her wisdom helping to guide the City's transportation priorities.

Thanks, Steph, for the incisive interview.

In response to An interview with Momoko Saunders, co-founder of Bike Farm Array

2. Comment by Phil Richman September 19, 2017 @ 4:15 pm | Link

So true. Is anyone working on your suggestion?

In response to East Portland advocates raise equity concerns over 'Green Loop' project Array

3. Comment by Brian September 19, 2017 @ 4:12 pm | Link

I already bought my bag of popcorn.

4. Comment by bikeninja September 19, 2017 @ 4:09 pm | Link

While you are in europe you should make side trip to Venice. Someone needs to tell them those little narrow streets and alleys with only people and bikes on them are going to cause traffic congestion and hurt job growth so they need to clear some of them out and build a nice 3 lane highway through the middle of the island.

5. Comment by Ted Buehler September 19, 2017 @ 3:30 pm | Link

Happy trails, be sure keep your phone on Airplane Mode at least 23 hrs/day.

Ted Buehler

6. Comment by Caitlin D September 19, 2017 @ 2:22 pm | Link

A no kids vacation--awesome (and well-deserved)! Have a good trip!

7. Comment by Jim Lee September 19, 2017 @ 1:54 pm | Link

Have you cleared this with RIck Steves?

8. Comment by q September 19, 2017 @ 1:38 pm | Link

I asked the question that I wanted answered.

In response to Video of Water Avenue collision provides vital evidence Array

9. Comment by Dan A September 19, 2017 @ 1:31 pm | Link

I think PBOT is hoping drivers will go to their website and find out what crossbikes mean. I wouldn't count on it. Many drivers don't know what crosswalks mean.

In response to Bicycle rider issued citation for DUII from hospital bed following collision in north Portland Array

10. Comment by Momo September 19, 2017 @ 1:28 pm | Link

If this project were trying to widen I-5 to 12 lanes and offering lids as mitigation, I would totally oppose this project. But that's not what it is. It's taking the freeway from 2 lanes in each direction to...wait for it...2 lanes in each direction! Wow, what a crazy expansion [sarcasm]. Yes, it adds a ramp on either side connecting I-84 to I-405. So if you prefer to count those as through lanes (I don't), the most you can claim is 6 lanes. That's a far cry from the 12 to 16 lane monstrosities that people are comparing this to.

In response to In radio interview, Portland Mayor rebuts critics of I-5 Rose Quarter project Array

11. Comment by Dan A September 19, 2017 @ 1:27 pm | Link

"Cyclist hit and killed at the intersection of Suchandsuch Street and Soandso Avenue. Witnesses indicated the cyclist was crossing SoandSo in a 'crossbike' at the time of the collision (a band of green stripes painted on the roadway with no legal meaning) and did not have the right of way. Driver is cooperating and no citations are expected. The family has secured a lawyer and is intending to sue the pants off the City of Portland."

12. Comment by pixie September 19, 2017 @ 1:11 pm | Link

If you could, it would be great to meet up with @lizbon and do a feature story on her successful move from portland to the netherlands.

13. Comment by 9watts September 19, 2017 @ 1:10 pm | Link

Agreed. This is a disaster. So much needless ambiguity. If ambiguity is to be part of the program, then much safer to take a page from Hans Monderman's book and skip the signs and paint altogether.

Thanks John, for linking to those earlier stories. Looks like I missed them.

14. Comment by Alan 1.0 September 19, 2017 @ 12:48 pm | Link

Excellent suggestion! It's ~45 minute walk from Grand Central train station to Dafne Schippersbrug, all nice city walking. The Amsterdam-Rijnkanaal has lots of river traffic to see, there are bike/foot paths on both sides to walk on both sides, and frequent bus routes when you get tired of walking. Grand Central station construction wasn't too bad for me, still plenty of activity and shops open, but the sign to the bus connections was slightly confusing. Next time I visit Utrecht I want to do a self-guided kayak tour on the old city canal.

15. Comment by Mr. Know It All September 19, 2017 @ 12:41 pm | Link

Yes, JM, you should be in good company if you don't return:

🙂

16. Comment by Todd Boulanger September 19, 2017 @ 12:26 pm | Link

Jonathan and Juli - have a great time! (Glad to hear that y'all are making time for yourselves as a couple.) Too bad you did not let me know sooner...my brother has a little B&B there... dekorenbloemen.com

17. Comment by Kittens September 19, 2017 @ 12:25 pm | Link

I wouldn't blame you if you decided never to come back!

18. Comment by Ted Timmons (Contributor) September 19, 2017 @ 12:21 pm | Link

I liked the non-Amsterdam cities better. Utrecht has a cool new non-car bridge, the Dafne Schippersbrug. And ugly construction at the rail station.

Here's a quick vid of the town:

19. Comment by q September 19, 2017 @ 11:42 am | Link

I agree with much of that. I'd still like to see the next step, which would acknowledge that people do use streets for walking, running, playing, etc. and then legalize it and start changing street design to accommodate it.

As one example, on quiet streets, instead of building unpleasant, narrow sidewalks that are hidden behind cars, as you pointed out, it can be safer to skip building sidewalks, put the cars on the edges, and let people walk in the street where they prefer anyway. That's how some of the nicest neighborhoods for walking are set up, and often those residents fight efforts to build sidewalks.

In response to Today is Park(ing) Day, a celebratory reminder that streets are public space Array

20. Comment by TrailLover September 19, 2017 @ 11:23 am | Link

Enjoy your well-deserved break! It sounds like you'll be back just in time to cover the next meeting of the Off Road Cycling Master Plan (ORCMP) Project Advisory Committee on Oct 5th. Focus will be Forest Park and it's going to be very interesting to see what BPS has in mind there.

21. Comment by John Lascurettes September 19, 2017 @ 11:21 am | Link

Who came up with the "standard"? PBOT. Here's Jonathan's original post on "here they are!" https://bikeportland.org/2016/08/02/say-hello-to-crossbikes-portlands-latest-bikeway-innovation-188841

From that article there's a link to a Q&A with Geller of PBOT: https://bikeportland.org/2011/01/19/cross-bikes-crosswalks-for-bikes-coming-soon-to-portland-46310

22. Comment by Bald One September 19, 2017 @ 11:08 am | Link

UGB is starting to slowly become obsolete, unfortunately. It only currently saves farmlands in Washington County and in SE metro/Happy Valley/Clackamas area. The areas to the North as mentioned are not part of UGB, and South is getting leap-frogged out of relevance, as Salem slowly merges with Portland. Sure, it will continue to keep some farms in place in a few areas, and possibly control sprawl in some ways, but I think the sun has mostly set on the UGB. Portland definitely has some unique aspects, due to the geography (rivers, mountains) and the UGB, which impact traffic in many ways, and it is fair to say that it is hard to compare with a freeway-belted, flat, circular metro area like PHX, ATL, DAL, MSP, etc.

23. Comment by Alan 1.0 September 19, 2017 @ 11:06 am | Link

"We’ll also take a few days to soak up the culture in Amsterdam."

From Amsterdam, a half-hour train ride - easy and not expensive - will take you to Utrecht where you'll get a different vibe of Dutch cities...less touristy, more university town, great walking, biking, people watching and croquettes. Enjoy!

24. Comment by Rebecca September 19, 2017 @ 11:00 am | Link

"At Bike Farm, we ask how people like to learn. Do they like to be left alone, to be checked up on, or to be shown how to do something and then redo themselves?"

Having the right style of help when you're learning something can mean the difference between falling in love with the process or walking away feeling totally frustrated and incompetent - I love that this is something they pay attention to.

In response to An interview with Momoko Saunders, co-founder of Bike Farm Array

25. Comment by B. Carfree September 19, 2017 @ 10:55 am | Link

But think of all the bike rack space that will be freed up when Biketown goes down.

In response to The Monday Roundup: Montreal's $150 million bikeway bet, reckless cycling, tinted windows and more Array

Comments