Comments

At BikePortland, we think your comments are just as important as our stories. This page lists all comments made on BikePortland.org, with recent comments at the top.

If you love great comments as much as we do, check out our Comment of the Week column. Please help us find more great ones by simply typing "comment of the week" in a comment.

Return to the Front Page.

1. Comment by Huey Lewis June 25, 2019 @ 12:39 pm | Link

No. You can keep your plates if you want. They do not necessarily stay with one vehicle. They belong to you, less the car. Makes little sense to me but I have experience with this from just a couple months ago.

In response to Car passenger attempts knife attack on man biking in rural Washington County Array

2. Comment by Tom June 25, 2019 @ 12:35 pm | Link

After a suspects plates are determine to be registered to an old owner, the plate number should be added to the existing patrol car plate scanner list, just like stolen cars, until the registration is updated.

3. Comment by John Lascurettes June 25, 2019 @ 12:26 pm | Link

I have the Hero(4) Session. It's about at 2" cube on my handlebars and it gets video like this: https://youtu.be/bW46TMUm5Mg (if you freeze frame it at the right spot, you can see all of the identifying marks on the cab). I've been very happy with it. I'm considering getting one for the reverse view (especially after a story like this).

4. Comment by TJ June 25, 2019 @ 12:08 pm | Link

Emailed my rep and my employer's rep today. Hoping to read that it gets voted on and passed asap.

In response to Big weekend push helps Oregon's 'Idaho Stop' bill pass final committee Array

5. Comment by B. Carfree June 25, 2019 @ 12:08 pm | Link

This is sickening. I fear it will just get worse as the perps are allowed to get away with almost no consequences. Our legal system will have lots of empathy for the perps' "youthful prank" and won't want to "ruin their lives" by allowing them to face any real consequences for this barbaric act.

6. Comment by TJ June 25, 2019 @ 12:05 pm | Link

I almost got clotheslined under Sandy overpass on I-205 path this Spring. Head was down looking at debris on the pavement and whatever was strung across bounced up off my helmet. No injury, just startled. Called the police and haven't ridden thru there since.

In response to At victim's urging, no jail time for people who tied string across I-205 path Array

7. Comment by mp June 25, 2019 @ 12:03 pm | Link

2001 Toyota Corolla CE / LE / S
    VIN: 2T1BR12E81C444277
    Style / Body: Sedan 4D Engine: 1.8L I4 EFI
    Country of Assembly: Canada

8. Comment by Racer X June 25, 2019 @ 12:02 pm | Link

Man, thank goodness for the "three feet law"!
    [And bike cams...I wonder how much driver / passenger on cyclist violence goes "undocumented"? Perhaps more bike cams would have the same effect on roadway violence like it has had per police on pedestrian violence.]]

9. Comment by Todd Boulanger June 25, 2019 @ 11:59 am | Link

Woooo Hooo! PedalPalooza!! Nice. [Though I worry about the human tiki torch thatched hut cyclist...hope he made it safely home.]

In response to Pedalpalooza goes to the prom (photo gallery) Array

10. Comment by Skid June 25, 2019 @ 11:55 am | Link

Facepalm. People who do sh1t like this need to learn from their mistakes, and they won't if it is a slap on the wrist. They will just go out and do the same thing again. It will just let people who about doing sh1t like this know that they can get away with it.

Their compassion is likely to get others hurt.

11. Comment by Dan A June 25, 2019 @ 11:53 am | Link

Where did you read that? Maybe he's looking for a legal penalty, as opposed to letting them off the hook like the tripwire boys.

12. Comment by K'Tesh June 25, 2019 @ 11:52 am | Link

If we know the license plate... Then why don't we know the make, model, and exact color of the car as it was owned by the previous owner? From the photo shown, I see Corolla (making it a Toyota) something or other "LE" (Limited Edition?). Do we know the VIN? I'm sure that the perps are now looking for new plates to steal to conceal it from LE (Law Enforcement).

13. Comment by Dan A June 25, 2019 @ 11:50 am | Link

You CAN remove the plates and pay a $6 transfer fee to move them to a new vehicle, but you aren't required to.

14. Comment by ADD June 25, 2019 @ 11:47 am | Link

Madi! We had such a blast! Thanks for all your hard work.
    This was our first family bike camping adventure and we are already planning our next. It was shockingly easy...and we are kicking ourselves (ok, well, one of us is) for not attempting the hill.

In response to Family Biking: Oxbow Regional Park is a great bike camping destination Array

15. Comment by PDXCyclist June 25, 2019 @ 11:46 am | Link

I didn't know that! Thanks. My car has yet to die so I haven't gone through the switching process...

16. Comment by Mike June 25, 2019 @ 11:46 am | Link

I recently added a GoPro to my motorcycle (after one too many close calls) and went with the Hero5. It's a few generations back so it's cheaper and the video is still plenty good.

17. Comment by Middle of The Road Guy June 25, 2019 @ 11:44 am | Link

I think "murder" might be a little hyperbolic. I understand that is what you believe, but that does not really represent what their intent was. Murder requires intent and they did not say they intended to kill anyone.

18. Comment by Matt June 25, 2019 @ 11:44 am | Link

License plates stay with the car, unless they’re vanity plates...

19. Comment by Middle of The Road Guy June 25, 2019 @ 11:41 am | Link

why don't you ask her?

20. Comment by Middle of The Road Guy June 25, 2019 @ 11:40 am | Link

That's how we arrived at mandatory minimums...which have been criticized as being unfair since they remove judicial discretion. But then we get cases like this where the punishment really does not seem to be proportionate to the crime.

Like most things, either extreme is usually too far.

21. Comment by Andrew June 25, 2019 @ 11:38 am | Link

The next article after the one you linked illustrates just how bad of an idea amateur operation of multi ton machinery is: https://www.koin.com/news/crashes/car-flips-in-nw-portland-driver-not-hurt/2093171493

In response to Bicycle rider dies in collision on SE Flavel - UPDATED Array

22. Comment by Middle of The Road Guy June 25, 2019 @ 11:32 am | Link

Are we really calling for violence to be used on the occupants of the automobile?

23. Comment by John Lascurettes June 25, 2019 @ 11:29 am | Link

Time also matters. I had the same thing happen to me before. I had gotten a nastygram from the city of Oakland because of outstanding parking tickets and impound fees on my car — that I had sold about 5 years previous. I couldn't find the paperwork at that point, but was able to pay for records at DMV that showed I had indeed sold it and filed the paperwork on my end.

24. Comment by Middle of The Road Guy June 25, 2019 @ 11:28 am | Link

That's some scary shit and makes me think I really *should* use my rear camera more.

25. Comment by ray thomas June 25, 2019 @ 11:28 am | Link

Hank told me he studied the different GoPro models and a GoPro 4 will produce enough clarity of image that the license plate number of a car can be seen. He said a GoPro 2 would not produce a clear enough image.

Comments