Comments

At BikePortland, we think your comments are just as important as our stories. This page lists all comments made on BikePortland.org, with recent comments at the top.

If you love great comments as much as we do, check out our Comment of the Week column. Please help us find more great ones by simply typing "comment of the week" in a comment.

Return to the Front Page.

1. Comment by B. Carfree December 17, 2018 @ 11:26 am | Link

I remember Governor Moonbeam. He put a bicycle division into CalTrans. He was progressive and, while imperfect, was a leader ahead of his time. Governor Brown, by contrast, is an active enemy of bicycles. He wouldn't even sign a simple safe passing law. It's hard to stomach his holier than though commentary on climate change while he has actively caused so much harm in terms of transportation emissions.

As a young politician, he was great. He didn't age nearly as well as many of us had hoped. However, one thing he did maintain was an ability to stubbornly ignore criticism, which can be a form of political courage. For all my disagreements with his position on cycling, I do respect him for bravely stating his positions. In many respects, Governor Jerry Brown will be missed.

In response to The Monday Roundup: Convercycle, anti-speeding tech, a climate warning and more Array

2. Comment by mikedowd December 17, 2018 @ 11:24 am | Link

I think people were talking about the stripes on the posts.

That is interesting about the stop bars on the pavement. That doesn't seem expensive. The stripes on posts don't seem like they'd be expensive, either, plus there's no wear on them as there is on pavement markings.

In response to The Little Things: Stripes on stop sign poles in Seattle Array

3. Comment by 9watts December 17, 2018 @ 11:16 am | Link

What are these gas tax receipts of which you speak?

Did you read in last week's Monday Roundup that Washington now blows more than 70% of its gas tax receipts on interest payments? That would be going straight from gas buyers into the pockets of the banks and accomplishing nothing useful for the public. Oregon, as far as I know, is following in Washington's footsteps, and frittering away the funds so raised on servicing debt.

With friends like these, who needs enemies?!

4. Comment by B. Carfree December 17, 2018 @ 11:06 am | Link

While I'm pleased to see that the governor's budget calls for an expansion of our depleted state police, I'm disappointed that the legislature doesn't seem inclined to dedicate funding out of the gas tax to state police patrols. This just exacerbates the free ride that motorists get. If we can't get motorists anywhere near obeying the law on the roads we have, we shouldn't be giving ODOT billions to build more roads, imo.

In his last months before being (rightfully) shoved out of office, Governor Kitzhaber proposed returning state trooper funding to the gas tax, but never followed through. We should also fund emergency medical response out of gas tax funds, since such a high percentage of the calls they answer involve motorists. Let's stop externalizing the actual costs of our societal driving addiction.

5. Comment by X December 17, 2018 @ 11:06 am | Link

Good point. You also can't trust 'them' not to turn up a one-way street, or into the wrong lane on a 2-way, or do 50 in a 20. However, if 'they' are on an e-bike they will hardly ever do 50 in a 20.

In response to The Little Things: Stripes on stop sign poles in Seattle Array

6. Comment by X December 17, 2018 @ 10:49 am | Link

that sikoler, always tinkling at the tornado on BP

In response to New diverters on Ankeny and Lincoln part of plan to keep drivers off side streets Array

7. Comment by JP December 17, 2018 @ 10:45 am | Link

Huge congratulations to Clara on her win! She's an absolute crusher, a lovely person, and a classy racer. Can't wait to see what she does next year!

In response to A championship for Honsinger and a great Portland showing at Cyclocross Nationals Array

8. Comment by X December 17, 2018 @ 10:42 am | Link

supposed to follow 9watts comment about hauling drywall. Good for them!

9. Comment by X December 17, 2018 @ 10:41 am | Link

Well then, this is the diverter for that, the common situation where a bike hauler is carrying a load of drywall crosswise 😉 That's the way to take a lane.

I did a scrap-wood-and-screw-gun modification to carry panels longways on my trailer, it looked pretty scrappy but it worked.

10. Comment by Carrie December 17, 2018 @ 10:40 am | Link

SilkySlim
    There has been one of those sandwich board signs right in front of the elevator, breaking down the various work periods. It was even updated at least once as the dates shifted. I actually came on here to post how I rode straight up 20th this morning w/o even swinging by the elevator since I knew the work was coming. No big deal in my book, and glad they scheduled it for two weeks where my bike commuting is minimal (holiday travel).Recommended 0

You'll just have to believe me that those were not there Friday evening (5pm-ish) or Saturday (11am-ish and then again 3pm-ish). I do apologize for saying there were zero notices, but there were zero the days right before the closure. 🙁

In response to Two week Rhine-Lafayette Overpass closure begins today Array

11. Comment by mh December 17, 2018 @ 10:39 am | Link

Because they keep redefining what constitutes "sticking" to the wall. Does it stick for five minutes? A day? Will we keep watching it for a year to determine if might stick until the building collapses? It's going to be something like that.

12. Comment by SilkySlim December 17, 2018 @ 10:31 am | Link

In response to Two week Rhine-Lafayette Overpass closure begins today Array

13. Comment by eawriste December 17, 2018 @ 10:30 am | Link

Thank you for posting the article on the BQE! Polly has mixed feelings about it as well.

278 reminds me of an equally awful and somewhat redundant road in Pland that will sometimes admit they want gone, but have no ability to do anything about. What would happen if that stretch of the BQE were removed? People would use the Carey tunnel. What if I5 were removed? People would use the 405.

14. Comment by Carrie December 17, 2018 @ 10:23 am | Link

Where SilkySlim? I saw the construction detour signs waiting (for reasons I now understand), but truly did not see any notices this weekend about the closure. Maybe I ride to fast 🙂 (but that's not true when I'm still waiting for the elevator).

In response to Two week Rhine-Lafayette Overpass closure begins today Array

15. Comment by 9watts December 17, 2018 @ 10:20 am | Link

My favorite comment here so far!

Because it neatly encapsulates the problem for me.

Whereas there are standards, conventions for anything to do with infrastructure,
    Whereas other cities both here and abroad have experience with diverters,
    Whereas the distribution of track widths for cars is readily determined
    Whereas the width of a bike+rider+trailer is also no mystery, and
    Whereas driver behavior w/r/t diverters is also understood,

Why does PBOT through its spokes-paikiala here admit that, once again, it is throwing stuff at a wall to see what sticks? Is this really a sensible, defensible, prudent approach? Because it makes no sense to me.

16. Comment by SilkySlim December 17, 2018 @ 10:19 am | Link

Incorrect. There has been a sign there describing the work plan for about a month.

In response to Two week Rhine-Lafayette Overpass closure begins today Array

17. Comment by Carrie December 17, 2018 @ 10:17 am | Link

Grrrr. I can report first hand that there were zero notices posted anywhere near/on/around the bridge and crossing Friday or Saturday. As I took it both ways both days. I am SUPER glad they are fixing this bridge, but really, really, really annoyed at the lack of communication! I love reading the blog, but I shouldn't find out that a major bridge is closed via this channel

In response to Two week Rhine-Lafayette Overpass closure begins today Array

18. Comment by 9watts December 17, 2018 @ 10:11 am | Link

Unfunded...

What I want to know is why your reliably defensive and ill-humored stance on pretty much all issues is funded.

19. Comment by paikiala December 17, 2018 @ 9:51 am | Link

You're describing a city-wide effort? 823-SAFE is not the place to make such requests.
    Any criteria for where to invest first, since it appears the trained professionals are clearly wrong.

20. Comment by paikiala December 17, 2018 @ 9:48 am | Link

BES only pays for $20k swales where it benefits their system. Tops of hills need not apply.

21. Comment by paikiala December 17, 2018 @ 9:46 am | Link

materials are at least $50 per stop bar.

22. Comment by paikiala December 17, 2018 @ 9:45 am | Link

MH,
    Unfunded

23. Comment by paikiala December 17, 2018 @ 9:45 am | Link

MH,
    Unfunded.

24. Comment by paikiala December 17, 2018 @ 9:36 am | Link

Joe,
    Stop signs don't prevent all types of crashes, and they can increase rear-end crashes.
    There are very clear standards for when stop signs are installed:

In response to The Little Things: Stripes on stop sign poles in Seattle Array

25. Comment by paikiala December 17, 2018 @ 9:34 am | Link

How do you know they'll stop?
    Seriously.