Comments

At BikePortland, we think your comments are just as important as our stories. This page lists all comments made on BikePortland.org, with recent comments at the top.

If you love great comments as much as we do, check out our Comment of the Week column. Please help us find more great ones by simply typing "comment of the week" in a comment.

Return to the Front Page.

1. Comment by Hello, Kitty August 19, 2018 @ 6:25 pm | Link

Wait... what? I'm asking how much you think people are owed; that's not trivializing anything. Surely you've given the matter some thought. How much does ODOT owe, and to whom?

In response to Watch how ODOT's Rose Quarter freeway project will expand right into Harriet Tubman Middle School Array

2. Comment by http_request_failed August 19, 2018 @ 6:05 pm | Link

Connection timed out while transferring the feed. If you are dealing with large feeds you may need to customize the tribe_aggregator_connection_timeout filter.

In response to Record: schedule facebook daily 273909 Array

3. Comment by Mark smith August 19, 2018 @ 5:54 pm | Link

Anyhow....a real solution, close the Williams on ramp. Problem solved. Put traffic on just south of weidler. This whole thing is way overblown and now odot wants to go crazy on construction over on on ramp.

4. Comment by Mark smith August 19, 2018 @ 5:44 pm | Link

Hello, Kitty
    Let’s say my parents sold my house to ODOT for the construction of I-5. How much would ODOT owe me now? How much would they owe the descendents of the man my parents rented a room to?Recommended 1

You are totally right. Let's trivialize the suffering of those who were stolen from. Shall we meet up at Starbucks with our macbooks on our bikes to discuss numbers over in the Lloyd?

5. Comment by http_request_failed August 19, 2018 @ 4:48 pm | Link

In response to Record: schedule facebook daily 240140 Array

6. Comment by Glenn August 19, 2018 @ 3:30 pm | Link

It's time for my outburst about the word houseless. I just don't think it's doing any good.

Complaint 1) It's accurate, but about the wrong thing. Example: I'm houseless myself. (But luckily, I'm apartmentful.) Retired couples who live in RVs: also houseless. Is house-having status really the thing anybody cares about here? Are we trying to muster social programs targeted to help snowbirds and renters? Or could it be those groups are a wee bit irrelevant? The only thing I or anyone watching the issue cares about is whether you're living on the street or not. Or in other words, whether you lack a permanent place you return to. Or in other words, whether you lack a home. Or in other words, whether you're homeless.

Complaint 2) I assume the goal of renaming something is to transform our relationship with it, but that's not happening. "Janie stay away from those filthy homel... hey wait a minute, they don't lack a home, they just lack a _house_!" *Lightbulb?* *Tectonic shift in understanding and compassion?* "Janie stay away from those filthy houseless and their drug needles!"

It's one of the silliest attempts at "rebranding" I've ever seen, and I've seen a few. Actually you can traipse a veritable graveyard of old, now-unfashionable terms for this same phenomenon: vagrant, vagabond, beggar, bum; or somewhat more romantically: wanderer, hobo, tramp, rover, traveler etc. You know they used to call the mentally handicapped "morons" back in the day - and without a trace of insult to it either; that was literally just the word for it. But it seems when a name starts to actually mean the thing it describes, it's time to change it again. Which of course does nothing to change the thing itself, it just makes it easier for people to virtue-signal. Oh I'm all for renaming "morons" to a menu of medical-ish diagnoses as our understanding about the brain improves (surprisingly little, it turns out, but anyway) over time. But I'm not necessarily seeing an improvement in our understanding of homelessness, and anyway there's emphatically no reason to attribute it all to the absence of a _house_. That's a step _backward_ in understanding.

In response to Portland's most prolific bike thief steals again, gets 25 months in prison Array

7. Comment by Michelle pasternack August 19, 2018 @ 1:30 pm | Link

In response to A sneak peek at Portland's new protected bike lane design guide Array

8. Comment by Buzz August 19, 2018 @ 12:47 pm | Link

I saw a large active bicycle chop shop yesterday, just feet from the Eastside Esplanade and the Hawthorne Bridge, basically operating in broad daylight just feet from two of the most traveled bike routes in town.

It is located at the east end of the Hawthorne Bridge, inside the sidewalk loop connecting the eastbound Hawthorne viaduct to the Esplanade path. There were visible piles of bike parts everywhere and obvious sounds of bicycle disassembly coming from under the large brown tarp covering several tents.

9. Comment by Hello, Kitty August 19, 2018 @ 12:21 pm | Link

Maybe the government can buy new bikes for theft victims?

10. Comment by Cellular August 19, 2018 @ 11:25 am | Link

thanks, Eva!
    i am made most uncomfortable by the sightings of scooters out in the road, going up and down NW Front in the Industrial areas---Fathers are taking their children on piggyback rides, even???
    i really do not see freight trucks handling this type of traffic well, seeing as these scooters most likely have a low profile to them up in their high seats and will be even harder to scope out than cyclists.

In response to Opinion: Scootering is very popular and hasn't destroyed Portland Array

11. Comment by q August 19, 2018 @ 10:31 am | Link

HK said "ODOT claims" and "If that's true", which to me shows HK is fully aware the claim may not be true.

12. Comment by Matt S. August 19, 2018 @ 9:50 am | Link

Make sure to throw in a free wheel set, seat, brakes — really anything that can be unbolted — because when someone’s motivated, they’ll steal everything around the u-lock. Then the frame will sit there for weeks until someone cuts the u-lock.

13. Comment by David Hampsten August 19, 2018 @ 9:23 am | Link

There's also a bunch of bike part distributors that cater to the low-end market such as J&B, North American, Midway, and others (but not Quality). At some point even chop-shop entrepreneurs need cables, housing, and that odd spring doodad for that 1987 Deore U-brake.

I am myself very protective of my bikes, as I never learned to drive and am primarily dependent upon them for nearly all my transport (aside from using transit), using the best locks I can afford, locking them in secure locations, and successfully avoiding Portland for the past 31 months.

However, I am saddened that there exists in Portland a vast network of industrious chop-shop mechanics who are homeless. While I have no doubt that many steal and engage in this industry for drug addictions, I suspect that boredom and a sense of being industrious contribute more to their being active participants. While I don't condone any thefts, your chop-shoppers do contribute to society by keeping such houseless folks productive and they prevent many such bikes from ending up in the landfill and/or police bicycle bins.

Too bad we couldn't just put such people to work at a living wages, stripping and repairing unwanted and unloved bikes, for needy folks in our poorer neighborhoods nationwide or in Ghana.

14. Comment by Ron August 19, 2018 @ 9:13 am | Link

Maybe one day I'll get my stolen bike back.

15. Comment by Hello, Kitty August 19, 2018 @ 9:04 am | Link

Let's say my parents sold my house to ODOT for the construction of I-5. How much would ODOT owe me now? How much would they owe the descendents of the man my parents rented a room to?

16. Comment by Mark smith August 19, 2018 @ 8:59 am | Link

Middle of The Road Guy
    No. Everyone here gets everything delivered by bike. All the way from the Ports of Seattle or Long Beach.Recommended 2

Which can happen outside of peak hours, or companies can pay up for clogging up the highway.

17. Comment by Mark smith August 19, 2018 @ 8:56 am | Link

Until odot and Portland pay up to the families discplaced by the racist roots this this freeway was put down, this issue will simmer along. There is zero reason to do all this shucking and jiving for the freight industry. That school is put there for racist reasons. The whole thing is garbage. What should be happening is for I5 to be capped from downtown to Vancouver. The land above made available for top notch housing for minority families . That is a far better use of this money. Time to fix the past, not do more damage to the future.

18. Comment by http_request_failed August 19, 2018 @ 8:54 am | Link

In response to Record: schedule facebook daily 235913 Array

19. Comment by Mark smith August 19, 2018 @ 8:52 am | Link

Shoupian
    Still waiting for evidence to back up your argument. Anecdotes do not provide support for your argument about how people’d behavior under the influence of an external factor. Your argument is flawed like saying smoking can’t be unhealthy for you because you know someone’s grandma who lived to 100 and she has smoked for over 80 years.Recommended 7

Dude, I am not even going to Google it for you. If you can't, facts won't dissuade you.

20. Comment by Mark smith August 19, 2018 @ 8:50 am | Link

Hello, Kitty
    ODOT claims this project won’t increase vehicle throughput. If that’s true, there will be no induced demand, and no increase in volumes as a result of building it.Recommended 8

Believing odot is your first error.

21. Comment by Mark smith August 19, 2018 @ 8:48 am | Link

All the sidewalk haters hating on people being safe. Or in Georgia where cops are free to harass minorites for the crime of riding in a safe space....the sidewalk. anti sidepath laws are simply minoritje harassment laws.

In response to Family Biking: Sidewalk cycling can be a savior Array

22. Comment by Terry August 19, 2018 @ 7:27 am | Link

I’m pretty sure you did everything right and the guy that yelled at you is the guy that yells at everyone (especially bikers) on and around the Interstate bridge. I have had many run-ins with this dude. He recently slammed his forearm into me as I attempted to pass him at the pace of a pedestrian. I filed a police report, but I don’t know his name. If anyone knows who he is, please let me know. This guy is a terrorizing menace to anyone biking in the area.

In response to Ask BikePortland: What's the correct way to cross the I-5 bridge? Array

23. Comment by http_request_failed August 19, 2018 @ 7:10 am | Link

In response to Record: schedule facebook daily 246627 Array

24. Comment by Matthew August 19, 2018 @ 6:16 am | Link

Rick; aside here but if you a metal roof guy we are interested in potentially buying one; hickeymad@yahoo.com

In response to Local retailers respond to Trump's 25% tariff on electric bikes Array

25. Comment by core:aggregator:bad-response August 19, 2018 @ 12:59 am | Link

There may be an issue with the Event Aggregator server. Please try your import again later.

In response to Record: schedule facebook daily 239866 Array