Comments

At BikePortland, we think your comments are just as important as our stories. This page lists all comments made on BikePortland.org, with recent comments at the top.

If you love great comments, check out our Comment of the Week column, where we highlight the best ones (and even pay $5 to its author!).

Return to the Front Page.

1. Comment by Hello, Kitty May 27, 2017 @ 1:39 am | Link

You get the choices you get, not the choices you want. As it is everywhere. The French were just as excited about choosing between Le Pen and Macron as we were about choosing between Clinton and Trump.

I've read a lot about mechanisms for choosing between candidates, and there is no country on earth that uses an optimal system. I'm all in favor of voting reform.

In response to Major changes to Bridge Pedal route means three fewer bridges this year Array

2. Comment by rachel b May 27, 2017 @ 12:35 am | Link

In response to 'Gorge Express' bus service returns with major upgrades Array

3. Comment by rachel b May 27, 2017 @ 12:31 am | Link

Har. It wasn't, but Oneonta was, and it's way more vulnerable to big ol' trampling tourist feet. Just curious--why wouldn't you want these sites to be protected? Why defend oafs? And tourists? And oaf tourists?

In response to 'Gorge Express' bus service returns with major upgrades Array

4. Comment by Mark Allyn May 26, 2017 @ 10:57 pm | Link

Greetings from Bellingham:

Having lived through Naito before and after the temporary buffers (I moved to Bellingham before the permanent setup was completed) I wish to thank you all for this project. It is a great benefit to everyone, especially those who are not yet comfortable riding in traffic.

Be that as it may, I also wish to comment about the PBA. Once upon a time, I was a member of the PBA.

I had a disturbing incident at the PBA that caused me to drop. I tried to attend an Information Technology meeting at the PBA. Mind you, I was a full dues paying member and my business was Internet consulting.

They threw me out of that meeting for no reason. All I was doing was listening. I did not pepper them with zillions of question; nor was I behaving like a papparazi; nor was I spewing any rants about anything. I was just politely and quietly listening. I had politely pointed out that I was a member a few times, but they insisted that I leave.

Based on this experience, I am not suprised.

I belong to Bellingham's equivalent and I have had no problems whatsoever; in fact they let me attend meeting before I even signed up as a member.

PBA needs to have a nice look at themselves in the mirror.

Mark Allyn
    Bellingham, Washington

In response to What does the Portland Business Alliance really think about Better Naito? Array

5. Comment by wsbob May 26, 2017 @ 9:52 pm | Link

I was somewhat joking when I referred to some people's reactions here as 'widespread panic', but I believe there's is some truth to that in terms of how some people respond to rumors rather than facts, about what police say and do. And besides...joking again here...how often do we get to use in a non-dire situation, the phrase 'widespread panic'?

I'd just like to see people think a bit before they jump to the kind of wild conclusions they have about what was suggested that the police officer at the meeting said, even though it seems he never really said anything of the kind.

Refer if you will, to the following excerpt from Naomi Fast's answer to some of my questions:

"... Naomi Fast (Washington County Correspondent) May 18, 2017 at 5:49 pm

There are official minutes taken at these meetings, and I didn’t take a direct quote, but when I noted, “If bike lane, no sidewalk riding; 814.420,” that’s what prompted me to ask my what-if question about gravel-filled bike lanes and sidewalk-riding legality. ..." naomi fast https://bikeportland.org/2017/05/17/the-impact-of-fear-on-bike-safety-in-car-centric-beaverton-228808#comment-6802685

She doesn't say what his response to her question was, or even if he responded. But in her story, she wrote:

"...One bit of statute-related information I became aware of is that the police can cite people for riding on a sidewalk if a bike lane is present. ..." naomi fast

Doesn't add up.

In response to The impact of fear on 'bike safety' in car-centric Beaverton — UPDATED Array

6. Comment by wsbob May 26, 2017 @ 9:35 pm | Link

"...However, the laws are badly written and ambiguous, and obviously aimed at minimizing motorist inconvenience rather than maximizing bicyclist safety. My only “worry” is that we keep such ambiguously-worded laws around, rather than fix them so that all road users can be confident in having equal footing from which to operate. ..." el bic

You're right that I disagree with your view that a law such as 814.420 is badly written. I think that particular law, is reasonably well written within the limits of what is possible within a concise outline of what it seeks to provide road user with. That is, all road users, though its subject is people that ride bike for travel on the road.

I think it's by nature, and is desirable that this law be somewhat ambiguous because of the emphasis upon interpretation it must allow for everyone that uses the road, first and foremost being the people that are using bikes on the road for travel.

I do not think it's true that this law was written as you seem to want to believe, to minimize "...motorist inconvenience...". Something about your saying that in the way you've written it, sounds fishy to me. It sounds like you intend it as an insulting remark, a dig, etc. That's animosity that really doesn't aid good relations among road users.

Going up to Salem to search the archives for the story on who worked on 814.420, and what was discussed leading up to its final text, is something I've thought about doing, but that's time I haven't wanted to spend. That would be one possible way to confirm my thought that the people that put this law together, did so to clarify for all road users, the extensive use of all parts of the road they believed people that bike should be entitled to use, and are entitled to use.

7. Comment by wsbob May 26, 2017 @ 9:11 pm | Link

Was this the same sheriff in person and on the phone? Or two different sheriff's. I'm glad your wife called the sheriff to get confirmation. I think the first sheriff was wrong, or joking. Not everyone drives over the speed limit. Everyone that does drive over the speed limit, doesn't necessarily drive ten mph over the speed limit. Something within five mph, is what I'd venture to say.

8. Comment by adventure! May 26, 2017 @ 9:11 pm | Link

I hear conflicting reports. Anyways, since we're talking about "fantasies", I figured I should throw mine in as well! 😉

In response to 'Gorge Express' bus service returns with major upgrades Array

9. Comment by wsbob May 26, 2017 @ 9:06 pm | Link

Oh gawd that's funny.

10. Comment by adventure! May 26, 2017 @ 8:55 pm | Link

Oh, I'd like to see the Gorge Express go to Cascade Locks, Hood River, and beyond! And all year, every day!

But while you know about the WET bus, not everyone does. And there are things to do on the Washington side of the Gorge, too. Or, if someone wanted to explore Gifford Pinchot National Forest, they can take the WET bus to Carson and--BAM!--they are right at the start of Wind River Road!

And there IS a bus that hits up Hood River and The Dalles. The big issue is it only runs on Tuesdays and Thursdays. But it's a start.

In response to 'Gorge Express' bus service returns with major upgrades Array

11. Comment by Mark smith May 26, 2017 @ 8:46 pm | Link

Clearly Multnomah falls was a local secret prior to facebook/instagram.

In response to 'Gorge Express' bus service returns with major upgrades Array

12. Comment by GlowBoy May 26, 2017 @ 8:37 pm | Link

I'd really like to see the Gorge Express run to Cascade Locks and Hood River too; I know about WET but I'm more interested in the Oregon side of the river, and not enthused about walking or biking Bridge of the Gods, legal as it may be.

As a person who frequently visits Portland and tries to avoid rental cars, I would definitely use the GE if it went where I wanted. I did use the Mt. Hood Express last year and thought it was great.

In response to 'Gorge Express' bus service returns with major upgrades Array

13. Comment by GlowBoy May 26, 2017 @ 8:33 pm | Link

I thought Amtrak wasn't allowing bikes on and off at non-baggage stops, even with the new roll-on service.

In response to 'Gorge Express' bus service returns with major upgrades Array

14. Comment by K Taylor May 26, 2017 @ 8:30 pm | Link

Oops - didn't mean to insist it's not going to happen twice within a single paragraph. But while I'm here, just let me add - it's not going to happen.

15. Comment by K Taylor May 26, 2017 @ 8:28 pm | Link

You're talking about an ideal, not a likely reality. Automated vehicles will only bring a glorious future of reduced congestion if everyone suddenly becomes a lot more into sharing -- or if a leader with a vision imposes a whole lot of rules. Neither of those things seem likely to happen in modern America, and there will be people with lots of money working hard to ensure they don't.

I see little evidence people are going to stop wanting to own their own vehicles. Americans' reasons for owning cars - bigger cars than they need! - are incredibly tenuous. I know a guy who owns an SUV just so he never has to move his camping equipment out of it. He is not an outlier.

What I dread is a future with even more traffic moving at even faster speeds and tighter tolerances (this is what happened with planes, when GPS and automation were introduced), in a city terraformed to cater to their unimpeded movement. That means even more incentive to keep pedestrians and cyclists out of the way of the 'important' movement of vehicles.

I agree that if we replaced all the cars on the road with a coordinated system of vehicles everyone shared, it would improve matters over what we have now - but it wouldn't do as much as just improving transit and reducing subsidies to motorists. And anyway, it's just not going to happen. God is not going to come down in his machine and impose order. It's just not going to happen.

16. Comment by Dan A May 26, 2017 @ 8:28 pm | Link

Good answer, thank you.

17. Comment by Scott Kocher May 26, 2017 @ 8:19 pm | Link

Jonathan do you know how PBOT intends to roll this out?

In response to Portland's 20 mph speed limit bill passes Senate, nears final passage Array

18. Comment by K Taylor May 26, 2017 @ 8:05 pm | Link

I've always liked and been depressed by that quote. Sigh - humans.

19. Comment by Pete May 26, 2017 @ 7:21 pm | Link

Sounds like the same argument I heard back in 1990 when the Gorge Scenic Act was created. 😉

In response to 'Gorge Express' bus service returns with major upgrades Array

20. Comment by Pete May 26, 2017 @ 7:15 pm | Link

I've been trying to find a way to avoid driving to Hood River for decades now. While I've seen it grow and it feels more crowded now, I certainly welcome more people without adding more cars. In a recent kiteboarding forum thread about "rigs", it was nice to see so many folks show off their modified bikes and Burleys.

In response to 'Gorge Express' bus service returns with major upgrades Array

21. Comment by 9watts May 26, 2017 @ 6:48 pm | Link

or fueled?

22. Comment by El Biciclero May 26, 2017 @ 6:45 pm | Link

You could do almost the same thing with frequent bus service. If you have to share, what's the difference? You don't know who was in that car last. The only real difference would be that you might have to walk a bit to/from a bus stop, and you would be sharing with more people at once. Would it save more space?

23. Comment by 9watts May 26, 2017 @ 6:39 pm | Link

"If health care had been an important issue to people, they would have voted for different candidates. I hope they will next time."

You don't think that candidates covering the full spectrum of issues and perspectives are on offer, and that the best candidate wins, do you?

If that were so, why are so many smart, dedicated people in this country working toward raising the profile of runoff voting, working to undo Citizens United, flagging voter suppression, gerrymandering, etc.?

Just as a small, silly example close to home:
    Remember the election of our Mayor last time around? When the only candidate opposing the CRC was that fellow who self destructed in the last few weeks of the campaign? We have a system that consistently produces suboptimal results, not just in policy but the process itself.

24. Comment by Hello, Kitty May 26, 2017 @ 6:19 pm | Link

Uh... as I recall this was one of the central issues of the election, and it was very clear where people stood. When the issue was just theoretical, a majority wanted to roll back Obamacare (though when it became an actual possibility, and they thought about it a bit more, many changed their minds). I think this issue was pretty openly litigated.

25. Comment by adventure! May 26, 2017 @ 5:54 pm | Link

Now is a good time to mention that the Washington (SR 14) side of the Gorge has year-round weekday bus service via Gorge West End Transit (WET). Two round trips a day Monday through Friday from Fishers Landing TC in East Vancouver to Stevenson and Carson. (They have an additional run mid-day Friday.) Each bus has a bike rack. They do have weekend service during the warmer months. Right now they have two weekend round-trips, which will increase mid-June.

In response to 'Gorge Express' bus service returns with major upgrades Array