Customer Service and Volunteer Manager
Company / Organization
Cycle Oregon is an Oregon-based nonprofit organization dedicated to transforming individuals and communities through bicycling. Over the last 30+ years, Cycle Oregon has built a passionate, loyal community of cycling enthusiasts by hosting world-class, fully supported rides through Oregon’s most breathtaking landscapes and supporting communities through grants from the Cycle Oregon Fund. For cyclists who want an unparalleled Oregon bicycle experience at their own pace, Cycle Oregon offers a unique perspective of the state, all the while managing every last detail.
About the Position:
The Customer Service and Volunteer Manager is a highly skilled professional with demonstrated skills in providing excellent customer service and managing a volunteer program. They provide expertise, insight, are an integral part of the Cycle Oregon event team, and are the first point of interaction with volunteers, riders, and the general public. Working closely with the Events Manager, they recruit and maintain volunteers that support events and operations, and develop operational tactics and collaborative relationships that deliver the Cycle Oregon brand promise. During events, they help manage various volunteer groups, are the point person for customer relations, and work with the Cycle Oregon team on managing the event sites.
• Enjoy working with people!
• Have strong interpersonal skills; able to quickly establish credibility; develop and manage relationships within the organization, with community members, and community partners
• Be confident in working with great autonomy
• Have strong written and verbal communication skills that create positive interactions and the ability to de-escalate when working on customer and volunteer issues
• Be a self-starter; have demonstrated ability to handle a variety of responsibilities simultaneously and engage in creative problem solving
• Be well spoken, articulate, compassionate, and professional
• Be able to identify trends and opportunities and create cost-effective strategies to implement
• Be a strong team leader; understand and enjoy the work of producing events
• Create a culture where excellence prevails
Essential Job Functions:
Customer Service and Communications
1. Serve as the primary point of contact for riders, volunteers, and organization inquires.
2. Create and distribute detailed information to registered riders through the Ride Guide and email communications. Review, edit, and update Cycle Oregon’s website with current event information.
3. Develop relationships prior and during events with riders, volunteers, service providers, and the event host communities.
4. Create standards for customer service, share with the rest of the team and regularly evaluate and report on implementation.
5. Analyze and incorporate audience demographics, competitive landscape, and best practices into Cycle Oregon customer service efforts.
6. Manage event materials, including manifests, rider packets, accommodation plans, and other internal information pieces
7. Provide event support, including Rider Services, event registration and participant check in.
8. Manage all aspects of the registration system, including setting up registration annually for multiple events, vendor relations, system development, tracking, financial reporting, and troubleshooting.
9. Manage all customer systems and interactions with integrity and clarity.
1. Working with the Events Manager, develop and manage budgets related to volunteer operations.
2. Develop and maintain a culture of collaboration, confidence, and knowledge among volunteers; develop appropriate volunteer structure to meet organizational goals
3. Recruit, place, and evaluate volunteers. Plan all aspects of the volunteer recognition and appreciation events.
4. Create training materials for distribution, schedule and facilitate volunteer training sessions for each event.
5. Organize overnight accommodations and meals for event volunteers working within budget guidelines.
6. Manage a number of volunteer teams, both Cycle Oregon and community groups, on events.
7. Working with the Events Manager, determine needs and recruit local community volunteer groups for on-event support. Create, distribute, and track contracts for community groups.
This is a mid-level position. Minimum Requirement of at least 3 years professional experience as a customer service and volunteer manager or comparable role.
Experience with a variety of online platforms (Word Press, event ticketing, MailChimp, CRM platforms, Survey Monkey) is a plus. Previous event planning experience is desirable.
• Capacity to motivate volunteers.
• Knowledge of social media, online database, and communications tools.
• A high degree of integrity and professionalism that garners the trust and respect of others.
• A professional demeanor tailored to meeting deadlines while managing conflicting priorities.
• Organizational skills when working under pressure.
Salary range: $45,000 – $55,000 DOE
Benefits: per Cycle Oregon policy (PTO, Medical, Dental, Vision, 401(k) match and more)
Hours: full time exempt, flexible, evenings, weekend and travel required
Reports to: Events Manager
Cycle Oregon is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that a diverse staff of qualified, highly skilled, and creative individuals is necessary to achieve our mission. We welcome and encourage applications from candidates who can contribute to the diversity of our workforce across a range of dimensions.
How to Apply
Email resume, cover letter, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 pm on November 9, 2022 with subject line ‘Customer Service and Volunteer Manager’