Posted by Job Listings on June 24th, 2021 at 10:30 am
Company / Organization
p:ear bike works
ecreation to affirm personal worth and create more meaningful and healthier lives.
p:ear respects and celebrates the diversity, creativity and strength of the p:ear community. Equity and inclusion are a priority across all parts of our organization. We are committed to using our time and resources to help identify and eliminate disparities based on identity and to promoting equitable access to our programs so we can all live in the world we want for our young people.
Position: Bicycle Mechanic
P/T: Thursday-Saturday. Approximately 21 hrs/week Reports To: p:ear Works Director
Compensation: $16-18/hr. based on experience
Bike Mechanic Job Description
bike works is looking for a dynamic individual to help support our social purpose enterprise community bike shop in East Portland. In partnership with the Rosewood Initiative, bike works supports Portland’s Eastside communities, providing low cost, low barrier access to bike education, repair and sales of refurbished bicycles and parts. Prior community bike shop experience is a big advantage. Our shop is located at 16126 SE Stark St.
Required Qualifications & Competencies
● Commitment to advancing equity and creating and maintaining an inclusive environment that is welcoming for all
● Commitment to non-violence and compassionate responses
● Bike shop mechanic experience – several years preferred
● Excellent customer service and communication skills
● Able to work independently, problem solve and complete tasks with minimal oversight
● Bilingual a plus
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
● Exemplifies compassion and understanding around the barriers of homelessness and underrepresented populations in the community
● Maintain an organized and efficient work environment
● Proficiently execute assembly, repairs and maintenance for all types of bicycles,
particularly used and older bicycles
● Represent Bike Works and its mission positively and professionally
● Identify barriers and recommend solutions to better serve the community
o Properly assess and determine bike repairs and recommend customer options o Repair and refurbish bicycles to be sold in the shop, as well as to be donated o Track parts used per project
o Maintain a neat and organized workspace
o Maintain a high level of professionalism
o Perform quality control checks on bikes built
o Assist Shop Manager with a variety of tasks, including maintaining an inventory of new and used parts, placing orders with distributors as needed, maintaining shop tools and restocking as necessary
o Assist customers in the shop with purchases and bicycle repairs during sales o Strong proficiency with bicycle tech
● Able to sit or stand and walk throughout the scheduled work shift
● Ability to lift and/or move up to 75 lbs
bike works by p:ear
Bike Works by p:ear promotes the bicycle as a vehicle for social change to increase economic opportunity for homeless youth for homeless youth and build resilient and diverse communities. p:ear’s social enterprise bike shop works to make bicycling accessible and affordable to Portland’s east side community. Our full service bike shop provides an array of services, from minor adjustments and tune-ups, to full bike overhauls.
p:ear’s Bike Mechanic School serves as a conduit from which our shop’s intern mechanics became educated and trained in the art of bike mechanics. Under your guidance p:ear youth interns will continue to build their mechanical hard skills as well as develop the soft skills of customer service, time management, problem solving and independence to name a few.
The Rosewood Initiative
The Rosewood Initiative connects and empowers Rosewood neighbors to build a safe, prosperous, vibrant and inclusive community. The Rosewood Community Center is a hub where neighbors can help the community as they improve their own lives. Neighbors come here to interact with one another, work on projects and feel safe. Rosewood builds capacity in the neighborhood by helping people learn useful skills and by connecting friends, partners and resources. The Bicycle Shop Manager position is a partnership between p:ear and The Rosewood Initiative. This person will be expected to follow all organizational policies and procedures of both organizations.
p:ear Bike Works Agreements
Lastly, we expect the following agreements to be used with regard to every youth intern, customer and individual regardless of race, religion, color, creed, national origin, age, disabling condition, political affiliation or sexual orientation.
Agreements are more than a vehicle to keep conversations safe and focused. When used to their potential, agreements are an actual tool. Agreements are a tool that supports both individuals and organizations in understanding “how” to engage in productive efforts to advance equity and inclusion. We expect all employees, interns and volunteers to honor the following agreements:
• Stay Engaged • Speak Your Truth Responsibly •Listen to Understand
• Be Willing to Do Things Differently / Experience Discomfort
• Expect and Accept Non-Closure •Confidentiality *Adopted from the Center for Equity and Inclusion
How to Apply
Cover letters and resumes can be sent to: email@example.com with “Bike Works Mechanic” in the subject line. The contract position will remain open until full. Email only, no phone calls please – phone calls will not be returned.