Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on July 15th, 2019 at 8:35 am
Company / Organization
Community Cycling Center
At the Community Cycling Center, we believe that bikes make the world a better place. Our mission is to broaden access to bicycling and its benefits, to help build a vibrant community where people of all backgrounds use bicycles to stay healthy and connected. We believe that all people – regardless of income or background – should be able to experience the joy, freedom, and health benefits of bicycling.
We operate a full-service bike shop on NE Alberta, a summer camp program that serves approximately 700 kids per year, and community programs for youth and adults that strive to make bicycling more accessible and inviting.
The Community Cycling Center is an equal opportunity employer and strongly values diversity, equity and inclusion. Individuals with diverse backgrounds, abilities and experiences are encouraged to apply. For more information, please visit www.communitycyclingcenter.org
This is a part-time job (20 hours/week) assisting several people in our administrative office, with a variety of tasks. The primary supervisor will be the Executive Director but tasks/projects will also come from the Director of Finance and Administration and the two-person Development (fundraising) team. The role will involve different tasks every week so adaptability/flexibility and the ability to take verbal instructions are critical to success.
The regular schedule will be within business hours (8:30 – 6pm) but can fit the needs of the candidate, and the hours can adjust seasonally if needed, based on childcare, school schedule, other jobs, etc.
We would love a candidate who has the skills and interests to support ALL the tasks listed below, but we are also open to candidates who do not have experience with all of the pieces. If you are interested, we would love to see your application!
The position does not include health benefits, but it does accrue sick leave and paid time off plus a used parts allowance, labor credit, and employee discounts at our full-service bike shop.
This position could grow or change over time, based on our budget and on the skills of the candidate; but we are looking for a candidate who can make a commitment to THIS job description for at least one year.
DUTIES TO INCLUDE:
1. Take dictation or direction in order to write notes, record information, draft articles, etc.
2. Assist with grant applications and reports, e.g. compile attachments and cut and paste application answers into online forms
3. Assist with three annual fundraising drives
4. Solicit in-kind donations by phone, email, and paper
5. Assist with preparation and execution of special events
6. Order & manage office supplies
7. Make deliveries and pick-ups to/from nearby bank and post office and occasionally elsewhere
8. File documents in physical and digital filing systems
9. In the event of a possible upcoming office move to East Portland, assist with organizing, preparing, and packing for the move
10. For a qualified and interested candidate, additional HR responsibilities would be added
11. Other duties as assigned
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS & CHARACTERISTICS
• An interest in making the world a better place, and a belief that bikes can help!
• The ability to follow verbal instructions to accurately complete a wide variety of office tasks
• Enthusiasm to learn and comfort with a task list that changes daily
• Experience working on computers, including at least basic skills/comfort in Microsoft Word and Excel, and in using the internet, and completing web-based forms
• The ability to type 40 words per minute or more
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS & CHARACTERISTICS
• Experience working in an office environment
• Experience in the non-profit sector
• Experience and/or formal training in development, financial management, and/or human resources
• Experience with retail
• Experience with Salesforce (database) Sharepoint (filesharing system) and/or Adobe Illustrator (design)
• Fluency in one or more language(s) spoken in Portland’s marginalized communities, e.g. Spanish, Somali, Vietnamese, or others
• Lived experience as a member of a marginalized community and/or with mixed income housing, title 1 schools, immigration..
• Hourly wage $15-17/hour depending on experience
• (Pro-rated) paid Time Off, & sick leave, $100 annual Used Parts Allowance, $90 annual shop service allowance. Also cost +10% pricing on new parts. (NO health insurance coverage.)
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume by email with “Assistant” as the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In your letter, please explain how you have acquired or practiced the skills listed above (under “required” and “preferred”), and tell us how this half-time position fits into your life/work/needs. Position is open until filled, candidate review will begin July 30th.