Bike Shop Retail Coordinator
Bike Works Seattle
Shop Retail Coordinator
Bike Works, the Seattle bike education and community-focused non-profit, is hiring a Shop Retail Coordinator in our community bike shop. The position is part-time (24-30 hours / week, depending on season), paid hourly. The position starts April 1, 2015.
Position Summary: The Shop Retail Coordinator is responsible for customer service, retail inventory management, and merchandising within our earned-income bike shop. Duties include sales, receiving and pricing orders, and maintaining accessible, organized retail displays. Secondarily, the Shop Retail Coordinator will support shop operations by providing mechanical repair services.
Start Date: April 1, 2015
Classification: Part-time, non-exempt, 24-30 hours / week, depending on season
Reports to: Shop Director
Deliver professional, accessible, and helpful customer service to a diverse customer base (30%)
• Assist customers in purchasing a bike, helping them find the size and style they need, within their price range
• Help customers choose bike parts and accessories to purchase
• Operate point of sale software and cash register to cash out customers
• Act as public face of Bike Works, providing general information about our organization and program offerings
• Diagnose repair and maintenance work needed on customer bikes
Manage retail shop inventory of new bike parts and accessories (30%)
• Receive, unpack, price, and sort shipments of parts and accessories for the bike shop
• Create and maintain inventory management systems to ensure appropriate quantities and organization of inventory
• Create and maintain sales displays for bikes, parts, and accessories, keeping ample stock displayed
• Populate wholesale parts and accessory orders to reflect purchasing needs
• Perform periodic physical inventory counts
Provide mechanical support in bike shop (15%)
• Diagnose and process bikes dropped off for service at shop
• Adhere to service writing process, seeking to provide value to customer through repair instructions written for mechanic
• Perform bike repairs as needed
Support daily bike shop operations (15%)
• Open and close bike shop
• Answer phone calls and respond to voice messages
• Maintain a clean and organized work environment
• Assist with processing donated bikes, parts, and accessories as needed
• Assist with the recycling of bicycle bi-products and shop materials as needed
• Assist with inventory upkeep and yearly inventory reporting
• Work to create and maintain an environment in our bike shop where youth and adults feel safe, supported, and respected
Participate in organization-wide events, meetings, and staff development processes. (10%)
• Attend staff-wide and departmental meetings and trainings as scheduled
• Attend our Annual Fundraising Auction and participate in other fundraising initiatives
Required Qualifications and Desired Skills
• Retail experience with strong customer service and communication skills
• Strong foundational knowledge of bicycles, bike parts, accessories, and apparel
• Knowledge of bike mechanics
• Mechanical and sales experience in a bike shop is preferred
• Ability to work professionally and efficiently in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
• Proficiency with technology including point of sale software, online ordering platforms, Microsoft Office, social media, and databases
• Hard-working, optimistic and enthusiastic demeanor that takes initiative and possesses a high tolerance for ambiguity.
• Ability to work well independently and execute projects with minimal supervision, as well as a collaboratively.
• Experience with, and understanding of, diverse South Seattle communities
• Commitment to environmental stewardship, social justice, and youth development.
• Passion for the mission, vision, and values of Bike Works
Job Location & Schedule
Typical hours for this part-time position are between 10am and 6:30pm, or 10:30am and 7pm, and will include weekends. This job is primarily based in our earned-income bike shop, at 3709 S Ferdinand St., Seattle, WA 98118. Occasional evening events will be required.
$14-15 per hour, depending on experience and qualifications, paid hourly
Conditions of Employment
Bike Works is an equal opportunity employer committed to assembling a diverse and talented staff. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, Bike Works does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or marital status. Candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter, including names, email addresses and phone numbers of three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications received by February 26, 2015 will receive priority consideration.