Posted by Elly Blue (Columnist) on February 24th, 2009 at 5:09 pm
BikePortland.org is a daily news source that covers the Portland bike scene. From street-level activism to the backrooms of City Hall — we cover the culture, personalities, businesses, breaking news, and important advocacy issues that define America’s most bike-friendly city.
We’re looking for a news intern to work for BikePortland (Pedaltown Media, Inc). This is an on-site (in our SE Portland office) and in the field internship. This is more than just writing and getting news stories. You will be working with a growing media company, and will receive on the job training in researching, writing, editing, blogging, and more.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Researching, writing copy and designing multimedia tools for the site
- Keeping up-to-date with current events/issues affecting transportation and bike-related stories in particular
- Writing weekly news and feature stories to keep site fresh and relevant to our audience
- Proofreading content for consistency, grammatical errors and typos
- Thinking creatively about media production and the user experience on BikePortland
Here’s what we are looking for in an intern:
- Student or recent graduate with journalism experience
- A good writer with creativity and compassion (a good sense of humor doesn’t hurt either) Some writing for online or print or blogging experience is required (Knowledge of WordPress a plus)
- Someone who is extremely responsible and enthusiastic
- Experience with riding a bike for transportation and/or a love for riding!
- Dedication to our mission, which is to publish content that informs and inspires bike lovers everywhere
We accept resumes year round. Interns should be available to work a minimum of 10 hours a week. Interns need to have their own laptop computer and cell phone. This is an unpaid internship.
How to apply
Please submit your cover letter, resume and two writing samples via email to email@example.com