Laughing Planet now has bike delivery.
Check out Western Bikeworks' new store in Tigard!

Leaders and activists toast Lenny Anderson, ‘Mr. Swan Island’

Posted by on December 13th, 2013 at 10:15 am

Lenny Anderson retirement party-22
Lenny Anderson shows off his number 85 bus
stop sign as TriMet GM Neil McFarlane looks on.
(Photos by J. Maus/BikePortland)

One of Portland’s most successful transportation activists was cheered into retirement Wednesday after 13 years in which he led Swan Island’s transformation into the city’s least car-dependent industrial park.

Lenny Anderson, 67, dropped out of a Ph.D program in the 1970s to work as a folk singer and printing press operator. He later co-founded two newspapers, including a defunct print quarterly for TriMet riders, before carving out a job for himself as the one-man Swan Island Transportation Management Association. In that role he become a tireless advocate for encouraging Swan Island’s 10,000 employees to get to work by bike, bus, or shuttle — anything other than in their cars.

Lenny Anderson retirement party-5
Lenny Anderson retirement party-6
Lenny Anderson retirement party-23
Commissioner Novick (R) and his chief of staff Chris Warner.

About 100 people, including City of Portland Transportation Commissioner Steve Novick and TriMet General Manager Neil McFarlane, showed up for a surprise party (organized by his successor Sarah Angell) on Swan Island Wednesday night. They came to recognize Anderson’s work, which included dramatic biking and walking improvements on Swan Island and the almost single-handed creation of the number 85 bus line. (We covered more of Lenny’s career when he announced his retirement back in October.)

To commemorate the creation of that line, an effort that got Anderson the nickname “number 85″, McFarlane presented him with a metal “85″ bus stop flag. And in fulfilling a dream for the lifelong activist, Commissioner Novick presented Anderson with a seat on the Portland Streetcar Citizens Advisory Committee.

Scott Mizee, an architect who lives in the University Park neighborhood just above Swan Island, said Anderson and his co-conspirator Francie Royce drafted him into activism on behalf of the North Portland Greenway by taking him on a bike ride through the industrial area.

“He’s the first person that I met that said, ‘Hey, we need people like you who are interested in making a difference,’” Mizee said.

Thanks to work from Anderson, Royce, Mizee and others, the long-planned Greenway passed several milestones this year and seems tantalizingly close to a deal that could close its biggest missing link: the Union Pacific rail yard just south of Swan Island.

Lenny Anderson retirement party-19
Community Cycling Center CEO Mychal Tetteh, his wife Bridget Johnson Tetteh and PBOT Transportation Options employee Janis McDonald.
Lenny Anderson retirement party-18
Joe Adamski, Francie Royce, and Timo Forsberg. (Sorry, I’m not sure who the man second from right is).

Comments
  • Todd Boulanger December 13, 2013 at 10:32 am

Glad to hear that the Portland community has not let Lenny slip silently into retirement…we have to keep his mind sharp after all…though it is still too early to name a bridge after him. Though a Swan Island to downtown bike ferry might be a start ;-)

• Lenny Anderson December 13, 2013 at 10:43 am

Thanks Michael, Jonathan. Must be a slow news day!
    Was a great party! and a total surprise! I sure hired the right person to take over the TMA…Sarah Angell, what an organizer!
    Right Todd, I ain’t dead yet…no bridges, etc.

• Lenny Anderson December 13, 2013 at 11:22 am

A minor correction:
    The Governors’ I-5 Task Force in June 2002 recommended, by a vote of 27 Yes, 1 No, the 10 lane bridge over the Columbia. I was the one NO. But more significantly, the TF split down the middle on a motion that spring to include an arterial bridge option in the DEIS (my motion, Mayor Katz 2nd). That vote was 9 Yes, 10 No, with Metro the deciding No vote! ODOT staff promised us that night that the “6-2-2″ option as it was called would be included in the DEIS. It was not. So much for ODOT promises.

• Jessica Roberts December 13, 2013 at 11:44 am

Lenny, I was so sorry I couldn’t make it to your party…I was on a train back from Seattle. You have been such a force for good in our city. Thank you for your service!

• Dick Schouten December 13, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Lenny:

Best wishes! I am sorry I had a conflict that night and couldn’t make it. Best wishes. I am sure you will continue to be a productive trouble maker for your City and our Region.

Sarah: Thank you for organizing such a great event.

• AL M December 13, 2013 at 12:40 pm

He’s a good singer. Amazing all the ‘insiders’ he seems to be chummy with.

• Joe Adamski December 13, 2013 at 9:41 pm

That (unidentified) handsome old duffer in the picture with me is Mr Curt Schneider, co-chair ( with Francie Royce) of npGreenway.

• Robert Spurlock December 16, 2013 at 10:08 am

Handsome and one of the nicest guys you’ll ever meet!

• AndyC of Linnton December 15, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Any way to see copies of the Trimet riders quarterly?

• Michael Andersen (News Editor) December 15, 2013 at 3:22 pm

I had a copy of the Transit Gazette for a while, but returned it to Lenny earlier this year.

• AndyC of Linnton December 15, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Ah. Okay, maybe one day we could get some in the library somehow. Thanks.

• Mara Gross December 16, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Warmest wishes and regrets from me too! I’m thrilled that Swan Island TMA is in such good hands with Sarah, and hope your retirement means that we continue to benefit from your wisdom and activism, just in a different role.

• Ted Buehler December 16, 2013 at 11:27 pm

Thanks, Lenny, best wishes on your future endeavors.

Ted Buehler

• Lenny Anderson December 17, 2013 at 5:17 pm

I think I have some more copies of the Transit Gazette which will turn up as I get my home office set up. Where should they be archived? PSU? or?