Posted by Jonathan Maus ( Publisher/Editor ) on March 19th, 2013 at 8:51 am
Sorry. This job has been filled.
Bike Tour Guide/Operator
Established bike tour company is seeking a Local Operator to run its self-guided bike trips in Portland. The role will be suited to a small business or independent contractor residing in the Portland area.
The Local Operator will be responsible for running bike trips in the Willamette Valley, Mt Hood and the Columbia River Gorge areas. This will include transportation, guiding and being on-call to support trip participants as needed.
The company has several years of experience running self-guided bike trips in California, Oregon and Hawaii. Using this experience, we will train the Local Operator as well as supply, guidebooks, maps, directions and operating procedures. Day to day, however, the Local Operator will work relatively autonomously using their best judgment, experience, and knowledge of the area.
While the Local Operator should expect to work hands on — leading the majority of trips themselves — it will be important that they recruit and train a small number of other guides to help them support trips.
This is not a full time role, but rather it is as and when-needed based on sold trips. There are likely to be of the order of 30 to 40 trips per year. A trip may last anywhere from 3 to 8 days. As such, the local Operator must have the flexibility to be able to support a part-time and unpredictable workload.
A good local operator will be a strong guide as well as having the business and organizational skills to manage trips, coordinate bookings and account for expenses. Successful candidates will have the following characteristics:
– Excellent hosting skills with a high standard of professionalism & customer service.
– Well organized with sharp attention to detail.
– Prior bike guiding or related experience.
– Knowledge of local history, culture, and geography.
– Enthusiastic cyclist & capable bike mechanic.
– Capable of lifting bikes and luggage.
– Operate out of home or small business office.
– Clean driving record, Oregon driving license and clean background check.
– Current First Aid/CPR Certificate.
– Good availability to lead trips during peak seasons.
– Able to build a small and loyal team of guides.
For more information, please send a resume to Tony Blakey: firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Apply
Please send resume to Tony Blakey: email@example.com