Local Operator/Area Manager
Company / Organization
LifeCycle Adventures is seeking a Local Operator to run its self-guided bike tours in Oregon. The role will be suited to a small business or independent contractor residing in the Portland area. For the right candidate, the role could also include:
– the position of Operations Manager for North America to manage bicycle tour operations across our North American locations.
– the development of new tour destinations.
The Local Operator will be responsible for running LifeCycle Adventures bike tours in the Willamette Valley, Mt Hood, and the Columbia River Gorge areas. This will include transportation, guiding and on-call services to support trip participants as needed.
LifeCycle Adventures has 20 years of experience running self-guided and guided bike tours in North America and Europe. We will supply training for the role as well as guidebooks, maps, directions, and operating procedures. Day-to-day, however, the Local Operator will work relatively autonomously using their best judgment, experience, and knowledge of the area.
While the Local Operator should expect to work hands on – leading the majority of trips themselves – it will be important that they recruit and train a small number of other guides to help them support trips to ensure demand can be met.
This is not a full-time role, but rather an as-and-when needed role based on sold trips. There are likely to be around of 30 tour per year, the majority of which would run from June through September. A tour may last anywhere from 3 to 10 days. As such, the local Operator must have the flexibility to be able to support a part-time and unpredictable workload.
A good Local Operator will be a strong guide as well as have the business and organizational skills to manage trips, coordinate bookings and account for expenses. Ideally, the candidate will have their own vehicles/vans to use for tour delivery. In addition, successful candidates will have the following characteristics:
– Excellent hosting skills with a high standard of professionalism & customer service.
– Well-organized with sharp attention to detail.
– Prior bike guiding or related experience.
– Knowledge of local history, culture, and geography of Oregon.
– Enthusiastic cyclist & capable bike mechanic.
– Capable of lifting bikes and luggage.
– Operate out of home or small business office.
– Clean driving record, Oregon driving license and clean background check.
– Current First Aid/CPR Certificate.
– Good availability to lead trips during peak seasons.
– Able to build a small and loyal team of guides.
We are a small company which works closely together and we all enjoy collaborating and supporting each other’s professional and personal objectives.
LifeCycle Adventure’s team members typically work out of their home offices but meet regularly.
Competitive rates within the industry and will vary based on the candidate.
How to Apply
For more information, please send a resume to Gregory Craig: Greg@lifecycleadventures.com