Meet Your Maker: Gigi Lascurettes, maker of Helmuffs

Posted by Russ Roca (Contributor) on January 18th, 2011 at 9:42 am

Gigi Lascurettes
(Photos/video by Russ Roca)

In this episode of Pedal People, we profile Gigi Lascurettes the maker of another Portland original - Helmuffs.

Helmuffs are wool ear muffs made from recycled sweaters that attach directly to your helmet straps. Gigi's Helmuffs have been on display at BikeCraft and can also be purchased at Bikeasaurus (1337 SE Martin Luther King Jr Blvd) and Pedal Bike Tours (133 SW Second Ave).

Watch the episode below...

— Pedal People by Russ Roca is an ongoing series. Browse past episodes here.

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • Tomas Quinones January 18, 2011 at 9:57 am

LOVE my helmuffs. Saved the day while riding the 29-degree 200K.

• Burk January 18, 2011 at 10:17 am

I love mine too! They're just right for that 40 to 50-ish degree weather. In the 30s and below I add a headband and the combo really works.

• h January 18, 2011 at 10:18 am

They did not fit my current helmet but they fit my old helmet. Well it was given to me as a gift but i wont wear them. Because they look so nerdy. ;)

• Joe January 18, 2011 at 10:24 am

nice :) ear love.. I want to make turn signal mits
    good idea?

• Gigi Lascurettes January 18, 2011 at 11:10 am

I love Russ's episode! The series already has been great and informative about the local people doing some other cool stuff (bike badges, wheel making, etc.)

Tomas and Burk: I'm so happy that the Helmuffs work for you! Btw, Burk, when it's that cold I use an extra head-band too!

• Marnie January 18, 2011 at 11:55 am

I *love* mine. They make me so happy. :)

• Mike January 18, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Don't these qualify under HB2602? just sayin. Looks like a good product.

• Gigi Lascurettes January 18, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Good pondering, and a question (reduced hearing) I've gotten in the past. The Helmuffs, in my and other Helmuff users' experiences (who've relayed their experience with me), reduce wind noise and allow you to hear other noises around you more clearly. They shouldn't be a problem with HB26022, but who knows what they'll target! Not a scientific survey, but my and others' experience so far!

• Todd January 19, 2011 at 10:35 am

great video about a great product! Thanks Russ!

• Marcus Griffith January 19, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Nothing like putting your head in a nice warm muff before getting sweaty.

• Marcus Griffith January 19, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Anyone know how the pending headset ban would apply helmuffs?

• Gigi Lascurettes January 19, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Probably the same as for anyone wearing headbands, hats or other ear coverings on their ears now to keep them warm while they ride. It's really a non-issue. See also my comment on wind-noise reduction in reply to Mike on Jan 18th.

• Ned January 19, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Nice. Not original though. There is (or was) a product with the same name made out of fleece scraps that would otherwise be thrown out. I think they are made in Santa Barbara. I have had a pair for over fifteen years and picked up another new pair a few weeks ago at City Bikes.

• Toby January 20, 2011 at 10:18 am

Well, Ned, good for you. Thank you for enlightening us. *yawn*

• Ned January 20, 2011 at 9:58 pm

You're welcome for the enlightenment Toby. More than a few of us just get a little tired of the self-congratulatory attitudes of the Johnny-come-latelys so prevalent here now in the PDX bike scene. Gigi's product is nice and I am not knocking it at all, but it does not appear be "original" as the article states. It seems that credit ought to go where it is due and there could be some infringement issues with the name. Just sayin'.

Wishing Gigi much success with her product!

• Toby January 21, 2011 at 10:47 am

I withdraw my snarkasm. I don't normaly waste my time with posting one liners but I was supposed to be studying and was distracted and bored, at least that's why I think I posted ;-) Thanks you for the reasoned response and point taken with the muffs, could also just be a case of B not knowing A exists. Ya know, practical product with logical (read cute) name. Kind of like coffee shops named Mud Shack, or Fine Roast, or whatever, how many of those are sprinkeled around the country and not connected? Or could be like you suggest, in which case a possible change in name would still back a cool local product that makes use of reclaimed materials. Cheers